d2jsp
d2jsp Forums > Off-Topic > General Chat > Political & Religious Debate > Obama Comes Out Strong For Net Neutrality, Says Fc
1238Next
Add Reply New Topic New Poll
Gold: 1,000.00
Gold: 2,407.00
Nov 10 2014 10:41am
He's a good guy.
Nov 10 2014 10:42am
Quote (Mastersam93 @ Nov 10 2014 12:41pm)
He's a good guy.

I wouldn't go that far.
Gold: 500.00
To accomplish this, Obama said the rules should reclassify consumer broadband service as a public utility — a move that has been fiercely opposed by the companies that would be affected.

fully agree with him on this
Gold: 117.00
Its up to Obama to protect net neutrality but he still pretends like there even needs to be a fight. Big companies cant do shit if the government doesnt let them and Obama is basically the head of government.

"says FCC" - actually best to stop reading right there
Nov 10 2014 10:49am
started reading the derp comments in there by people who don't have the slightest fucking clue what's going on and my head starts to hurt @_@

-This is another attempt to level the playing field. Why do I need xtra high speed? This will simply raise the overall cost to all home users as their rates go up to compensate. Let those who want it pay for it. The government needs to stop trying to be all things to all people. This country was build by people not governments. If it is not broke do not fix it.

-No part of the internet should be regulated. It is one of the mediums where the masses can participate truly in free speech and the communication of ideas. I'm not feeling the idea of it being strong armed by businesses to meet their agendas... but I don't feel it should be regulated by the government either.

-Is anyone actually surprised that leftists want the government to control the internet?

-Let's face it, with the growth in Video basically overwhelming the system we're going to get slow lanes anyway.

-Why should VZ spend $ maintaining their pipes if companies like Google can hog it all without paying for it?

-The internet works so well now, why on God's earth would you want to regulate it and add a big bureaucratic mess on top of it. It is not like government intervention has perfected TV or radio. It is nuts to think expanding government in another area (one that works) will actually improve it.
Nov 10 2014 10:53am
Quote (duffman316 @ Nov 10 2014 12:49pm)
started reading the derp comments in there by people who don't have the slightest fucking clue what's going on and my head starts to hurt @_@

-This is another attempt to level the playing field. Why do I need xtra high speed? This will simply raise the overall cost to all home users as their rates go up to compensate. Let those who want it pay for it. The government needs to stop trying to be all things to all people. This country was build by people not governments. If it is not broke do not fix it.

-No part of the internet should be regulated. It is one of the mediums where the masses can participate truly in free speech and the communication of ideas. I'm not feeling the idea of it being strong armed by businesses to meet their agendas... but I don't feel it should be regulated by the government either.

-Is anyone actually surprised that leftists want the government to control the internet?

-Let's face it, with the growth in Video basically overwhelming the system we're going to get slow lanes anyway.

-Why should VZ spend $ maintaining their pipes if companies like Google can hog it all without paying for it?

-The internet works so well now, why on God's earth would you want to regulate it and add a big bureaucratic mess on top of it. It is not like government intervention has perfected TV or radio. It is nuts to think expanding government in another area (one that works) will actually improve it.

I agree, on one side you have business trying to make more money because we depend on them and on the other side you have the government trying to regulate it. They are 2 evils and its stupid that we WILL have to choose one sooner or later.
Nov 10 2014 10:59am
Quote (gary22 @ Nov 10 2014 11:53am)
I agree, on one side you have business trying to make more money because we depend on them and on the other side you have the government trying to regulate it. They are 2 evils and its stupid that we WILL have to choose one sooner or later.

i don't think you'd have any local carriers providing last mile service if it wasn't for regulations as the big guys would punish them heavily for depending on their infrastructure
Gold: 7,525.35
Nov 10 2014 11:02am
Quote (duffman316 @ Nov 10 2014 12:49pm)

Do you have actual rebuttals to the "derp" comments?
Why shouldn't people be concerned about a major reclassification of the entire industry and massive expansions of government involvement?
Why should companies be allowed to hog all bandwidth without paying for it?
Why should we discourage investment and innovation directed towards developing better internet? Why should the government force companies to pass costs along to others who don't necessarily want certain services?
These are valid questions.

Hey guys we want to save the interwebs so its good like now. I know lets make sweeping massive changes to it!!!
We want to keep it free and open... we should put the FCC in control!
Thats the true derp moment.

This post was edited by cambovenzi on Nov 10 2014 11:04am
Nov 10 2014 11:03am
Quote (duffman316 @ Nov 10 2014 12:59pm)
i don't think you'd have any local carriers providing last mile service if it wasn't for regulations as the big guys would punish them heavily for depending on their infrastructure

well I live out in the middle of nowhere Comcast dish network and at&t owns it. There are no small guys here now in the bigger city there is.
Go Back To Political & Religious Debate Topic List
1238Next
Add Reply New Topic New Poll