d2jsp
d2jsp Forums > Off-Topic > Sports Coliseum > Basketball > Toronto Raptors > Discussion, Love, Hate, Rage, Etc.
Prev1112113114115116195Next
Add Reply New Topic New Poll
Gold: 394.00
Nov 10 2017 12:17pm
Quote (RewtheBrave @ Nov 10 2017 10:54am)
He made a lot of great shots tonight. He took a few stinkers but his 3 has looked better in the last few games than it's ever looked. I don't think he'll ever be a good 3 pt shooter but I truly admire his practice work ethic.

I think it's a good move. He makes some rookie mistakes but he doesn't turn the ball over and he plays hard and with confidence. Considering that he's probably only operating at 75% but he dunked on AD and made him his b*tch, I think he's a really good draft pick. That being said, this year's draft class looks amazing.

Oh I think it's a good look too. It allows Lowry to play off the ball on defence more and the kid is good. But considering he wasn't even supposed to be ready to play until around now it's quite interesting, and good to see he's caseys stopper already
Retired Moderator
Gold: 505.00
Trader: Trusted
Nov 12 2017 07:26pm
I thought Derozan did alright to get the last shot but Ibaka miffed badly on the rebound. He literally had the game in his hands--and let it slip through his fingers.

Pretty good game. Norm didn't return after his hip took a shot.

Ibaka is hard to classify. Every game he makes a few all-star level plays and then makes a few rookie mistakes. Be good or bad, but don't be both.
Retired Moderator
Nov 14 2017 11:45am
Beardie and the Rockettes are up next. Hopefully, the Raps will grow some balls and put Wright & Anunoby (even @ 75%) on him all game (if Powell's back, give him some minutes, too), rather than fart around with gutless defenders. It bothers me when coaches don't put the right defensive match-ups on the floor. Everything runs through Harden so just stop fuarking around.

Pelicans up next on b2b so I'm sure they will be looking for sweet revenge on us.
Retired Moderator
Nov 17 2017 10:24pm
After beating the Pelicans [again] and the Rockettes the Raps faced Porzingod and the Knickmemes. Our big guys did what they did to the Pels--just wrecked everything in their path. 17+ blocks tonight. Lowry (Yes, I said Lowry) and Siakam shut Porzingod down--and Lowry nearly got himself another triple-double in the process. Outside of a couple short runs the Raps played great defence tonight even without three of their top defenders (Wright, Powell, and Ibaka).

Despite early season setbacks due to injuries and despite implementing a new offensive system and working with new players--and developing young talent--the Raps look pretty solid so far this season. Our loss to the Wizards was probably the most deserved loss, and by all means, we had GSW, Los Spurs and the Celts by the nuts. We had a better group on paper last year but our young guys have played well for the most part and Anunoby, in particular, has been a welcome surprise. He does everything. I also think Miles has been really good even if he stumbled for a few games. Kyle had a rough start but got everything together. Demar has adjusted really nicely into the new system. His numbers aren't reflecting that he's playing the best basketball of his career right now.

Our traditional problems have been: defending 3s (still an issue but better this year imho), starting games (still an issue), starting qtrs (better), and getting consistent effort (it's been better this year). I like that we've resolved our weaknesses to some degree. I don't *think* we have enough talent to win the ECF this year, but at this stage in the season I would say Toronto looks like the second best team in the east. I give a nod to the Celtics b/c they've been playing out of their minds. I expect the Cavs to make a surge at some point and I also expect them to defend in the playoffs. Washington should be a factor, and the Bucks, Pistons, and 76ers should at least make things interesting.
Gold: 171.76
Nov 19 2017 04:50pm
DeRozan single handedly won us that game

Lowry and JV played like ass....

9 point win is a 9 point win....

But if they had John Wall this game would have been much closer or a loss
Retired Moderator
Nov 19 2017 10:32pm
Quote (bitg_pj @ 19 Nov 2017 18:50)
DeRozan single handedly won us that game

Lowry and JV played like ass....

9 point win is a 9 point win....

But if they had John Wall this game would have been much closer or a loss

It would be a different game and the Raps have more trouble with Beal than Wall. However because Wall was out for both games this season the Raps were able to (finally) figure Beal out in the 2nd half. I thought putting Anunoby on him was the right move but then you need Siakam, Potel or maybe Ibaka--not JV-- to help on screens. I think it only works if Siakam leaves his man and someone comes off to cover for him and it becomes a rotation.

I think Washinton and the Raps are close but the Raps are better--Wall or no Wall. I also think Boston is closer than they seem, even though they may extend their streak to 25 games. I think the Cavs will end up at the top (in the playoffs).

I believe the Bucks and 76ers are on the way up but not quite ready yet. I'm not counting them out to pull some surprises, but I don't see them with Cavs/Celts/Raps. I think the Pistons are a really interesting team and I want to see how they do this year. They're an enigma to me, so I can't say where I'd stack them. The East is really tight this year.
Retired Moderator
Nov 22 2017 10:12am
Buoys and gulls, we have the Knickerbockers tonight @ 730 and then the Pacers on Friday night. If we stick to the game plan for Porzingis then I imagine this will be another relatively easy win. I'm actually hoping Porzingis will play a little harder on both ends tonight so we can get a real game out of it. Last time he seemed to pretty much give up as soon as our bigs crowded his space. That's tall guy defence 101, and I'm sure he's usually able to adjust out of it. Otherwise, how the heck has he averaged 30 ppg?
Retired Moderator
Nov 23 2017 10:31am
Terrabad 3rd qtr = story of the game, because otherwise, the Raps were doing really well. I don't think they expected the Knicks to play so hard defensively in the 3rd and when the Knicks started making shots, the momentum of the game took a sharp twist. The Raps were poised to come back and win it in the 4th but the Knicks kept playing hard and it looked like a fiesty little terrier kept gnawing at a doberman's leg until it winced and ran away.
Gold: 171.76
Nov 24 2017 09:35pm
What a heart breaker tonight....no D at all.....
Retired Moderator
Nov 24 2017 10:46pm
Quote (bitg_pj @ 24 Nov 2017 23:35)
What a heart breaker tonight....no D at all.....

That's two hugely disappointing games in a row. In fairness, the refs gave the win to the Pacers by missing a series of calls at the end of the game, but the Raps didn't play well enough to create a cushion in this game. They looked fairly comfortable going into the 3rd even though they hadn't played especially well, but they quickly fell apart and then surged back (just like they did against NY), only to stalemate again toward the end.

Lowry was our best guy tonight, although I felt Powell had some moments, Vanvleet had some moments, and at times Anunby showed signs of life. Anunoby is still a puppy. He reacts too much to dribblers when he should just stay in front by using spacing and size. Siakam was good in some spots, too. It's just a weird game where Oladipo shot a few nice buckets off of great basic dribble moves, Lowry played reasonably well, and everyone else was garbage except for Lance in the 4th.
Go Back To Basketball Topic List
Prev1112113114115116195Next
Add Reply New Topic New Poll