d2jsp
d2jsp Forums > Off-Topic > General Chat > Political & Religious Debate > Is Out Pre Occupation With Punishment > Hurting Society
1236Next
Add Reply New Topic New Poll
Gold: 171.76
Oct 20 2014 06:34pm
A friend and I were discussing the possibility of treating drug users as a health issue as opposed to a
Criminal one ... And I posed the question of the strong likelihood that finding alternative ways of rehabilitating non violent offenders ( and people who don't have a strong likelihood of becoming violent offenders ) drug users ... Etc ... Would benefit far more from the tax dollars used to incarcerate them into actually trying to rehabilitate and reform them into productive members of society .

The arguments against it strongly related to an obsession with punishment ( no need to punish drug users IMO ... And the fact that pragmatically it's better to try and have them not re offend instead of being obsessed with getting anyone who's out of line in a jail cell )

The other argument is that it condones the behaviour , which is ridiculous .... I don't condone shooting up heroin ... But if a clean injection site will stop HIV and hep c b spreading ... Then ts worth it
Gold: 0.00
Oct 20 2014 06:37pm
Quote (bitg_pj @ 21 Oct 2014 00:34)
A friend and I were discussing the possibility of treating drug users as a health issue as opposed to a
Criminal one ... And I posed the question of the strong likelihood that finding alternative ways of rehabilitating non violent offenders ( and people who don't have a strong likelihood of becoming violent offenders ) drug users ... Etc ... Would benefit far more from the tax dollars used to incarcerate them into actually trying to rehabilitate and reform them into productive members of society .

The arguments against it strongly related to an obsession with punishment ( no need to punish drug users IMO ... And the fact that pragmatically it's better to try and have them not re offend instead of being obsessed with getting anyone who's out of line in a jail cell )

The other argument is that it condones the behaviour , which is ridiculous .... I don't condone shooting up heroin ... But if a clean injection site will stop HIV and hep c b spreading ... Then ts worth it

You don't have needle banks in the US?
Gold: 7,252.72
Oct 20 2014 06:45pm
...drug abuse is already recognized as a health issue .
Gold: 8,933.00
Oct 20 2014 06:48pm
Quote (WidowMaKer_MK @ Oct 20 2014 07:45pm)
...drug abuse is already recognized as a health issue .

Not as it pertains with the government's interactions with the citizenry. The government first and foremost treats addicts as criminals, not as diseased.
Gold: 7,252.72
Oct 20 2014 06:54pm
Quote (Santara @ Oct 20 2014 08:48pm)
Not as it pertains with the government's interactions with the citizenry. The government first and foremost treats addicts as criminals, not as diseased.

...it depends on the circumstances . I have witnessed countless addicts put through diversion programs designed to keep them out of jails and prisons under the jurisdiction of the courts . There are also many new approaches being tried every day . The legal system is an important part of forcing addicts into treatment programs .
Oct 20 2014 06:56pm
Quote (Santara @ Oct 20 2014 08:48pm)

This .

I see no value in using incarnation for drug addicts.

Gold: 285.00
Oct 20 2014 07:00pm
Quote (WidowMaKer_MK @ Oct 20 2014 07:54pm)
...it depends on the circumstances . I have witnessed countless addicts put through diversion programs designed to keep them out of jails and prisons under the jurisdiction of the courts . There are also many new approaches being tried every day . The legal system is an important part of forcing addicts into treatment programs .

This. Many would never recover without being forced to.

Quote (bitg_pj @ Oct 20 2014 07:56pm)
This .

I see no value in using incarnation for drug addicts.

Spend some time working with them :lol:
Oct 20 2014 07:48pm
Quote (Skinned @ Oct 20 2014 09:00pm)

Spend some time working with them  :lol:

You think your jail system reforms
Drug addicts , they are clean as long as you keep them
In a cage. ....how effective or practical is that?

We could fund a mandatory rehab centres where they aren't subjected to the scum of society in a living hell and would get proper help and therapy
Gold: 285.00
Oct 20 2014 08:09pm
Quote (bitg_pj @ Oct 20 2014 08:48pm)
You think your jail system reforms
Drug addicts , they are clean as long as you keep them
In a cage. ....how effective or practical is that?

We could fund a mandatory rehab centres where they aren't subjected to the scum of society in a living hell and would get proper help and therapy

You don't think criminality is a trait common among serious drug addicts? I have much more sympathy and urge to help the mentally ill who are incarcerated than drug addicts. Now that is a serious moral problem. I've met many recovered addicts who say jail was the the thing they needed because they wouldn't have changed without hitting bottom first.

Also, incarceration in a mandatory rehab center doesn't sound any different than incarceration in jails.
Gold: 8,933.00
Oct 20 2014 08:36pm
Quote (WidowMaKer_MK @ Oct 20 2014 07:54pm)

Quote (Skinned @ Oct 20 2014 08:00pm)

Spend some time working with them  :lol:

Forcing them clearly isn't working. Know what is? Portugal.

http://www.businessinsider.com/portugal-drug-policy-decriminalization-works-2012-7

And you you seriously implying that because SOME people need to be "forced to get help," that you need to hold onto your busted ass tool of force for everyone, when it fails far more people than it helps?
Go Back To Political & Religious Debate Topic List
1236Next
Add Reply New Topic New Poll