d2jsp
d2jsp Forums > Other Games > MMORPG > Guild Wars 1 & 2 > Current State Of Guild Wars 2
Add Reply New Trade New Service New Price Check New Topic New Poll
Gold: 66,615.00
Oct 20 2014 03:10pm
I'm looking for some basic discussion on guild wars 2. I really enjoyed GW1 back in the day but never tried GW2. It seems to have many mixed reviews and on release lots of people disliked the game.

Information I'm looking for
  • How does GW2 compare to GW1
  • How is the pvp balance?
  • How is the overall pve experience?
  • Would you recommend the game?
Gold: 150.00
Oct 20 2014 05:42pm
Not better then 1, but still a great game.
PvP is sorta balanced, but still meh.
PvE is fun.
Yes.
Bonus: WvW is fun as fuck, till seasons burn you out.
Gold: 4.62
Oct 20 2014 06:47pm
GW2 is much easier
It has changed too much since I played to comment but GW2 PVP doesn't seem to have that 'team' feeling that GW1 does
Very nice visuals and layout imo, can play the gave for pure PVE and have fun for at least a year
Yes of course
Bonus: WvW is great
Gold: 212.00
Oct 21 2014 11:41am
How does GW2 compare to GW1?
You cannot compare the two games, they are too different to do so
Treat GW2 as if it isn't named GW2 and as if it was a completely different game from a different game series and you'll be able to see "what GW2 is good for"
Comparing it to GW1 will only make you expect the same type of aspects that GW1 provided and this is not what the GW2 engine was developed towards
Doing so is similar to comparing a Final Fantasy RPG to a Legend Of Zelda Action RPG
They are just to different genres of game, which is exactly the case with GW1 and GW2

How is PvP balance?
The PvP balance is actually very balanced now, in tpvp and in wvw even
Anyone who argues this is just not understanding how the game is meant to be played "I really mean that"
The balance that you need to understand is similar to the dynamic of GW1 when it comes to rock/paper/scissors
Build (A) is good at beating build (B) and build (B) is good at beating build (C) but build (C) is good at beating build (A)
The problems with the game's pvp is not within the balance of traits/numbers/gear, it is within the leaderboard system and how MMR works
The match making system for team vs. team in GW2 is seriously a convoluted fucking mess and I'll spare you the details as if you are new anyway, you wouldn't understand even if I explained it
But to sum it up: The problem with MMR creates a bipolararity between novice/intermediates and advanced/elites. It's like two magnets that oppose each other and push each other away
It does nothing but promote segregation and ill-communication within the community, which ultimately works towards diffusing community growth "and that is a bad thing for keeping the game alive"
A-Net has stated that they will be implementing an new team vs team ladder system over the leaderboards soon, we'll see how it works

PvE experience?
It's all very good actually but it runs it's course like any other game
The end game of GW2 is pvp just like the end game of any game
WvW is the better environment in my opinion over TPvP but we'll see how community is promoted after the next patch

Would I recommend GW2?
Definitely
It is the best game of it's genre right now, hands down
But it does need work before it could be a classic like GW1

This post was edited by TSBoyer on Oct 21 2014 11:43am
Go Back To Guild Wars 1 & 2 Topic List
Add Reply New Trade New Service New Price Check New Topic New Poll