d2jsp
d2jsp Forums > d2jsp > Ladder Slasher > Ls Update
Prev123444Next
Closed New Topic New Poll
Gold: 482.43
Oct 20 2014 09:31am
I think he said graphics update? woot, cant wait to hear about the new features as well. but from the sound of it seems like its going to be a bit b4 update. Maybe around Christmas time? All I want for Christmas is a ls update. kikiiki
Gold: 4,120.55
Oct 20 2014 09:31am
Quote (SCXiao @ Oct 20 2014 02:21pm)
Woop, almost had a mini heart attack when I thought you had released a new patch :lol:

This sounds nice though, can't wait for next patch / update to come

same here :D

I tjecked instantly !

thanks paul :hail:
Gold: 321.95
Oct 20 2014 09:50am
Thanks for the update Paul :)
Hope it can bring back ls!
Gold: 100.70
Oct 20 2014 10:16am
Quote (njaguar @ Oct 20 2014 01:45pm)
Reposting from here: http://forums.d2jsp.org/topic.php?t=71435742&f=272&p=481388805

What I'm working on is porting the client to HTML5/canvas/websockets. Again, this is just a "test" in a lot of ways, to see what can and can't be done. So far, each little piece seems fine. The websockets work required a lot of server changes, but that's mostly fine now. Also got the client working, connecting, logging in, getting and displaying character list, etc. However, canvas wasn't really meant for a UI heavy game like LS, so that is a huge challenge I will need to overcome.

The biggest benefit of this is obviously the mobile aspect; it should just work as long as I have the sizing done smart and correctly to scale appropriately and/or change orientation. Most browsers that are newer than 2 years old also should support this. That's a risk though, as I don't know offhand how many of you active LS players are using really old browsers or computer hardware. The latter shouldn't matter as much, as everything I've seen suggests canvas/html5 should ultimately be faster anyway. Development will also be much more rapid, in theory. Flash never really lent itself well towards rapid unit testing of things.

Another potential negative is that in theory it makes it easier to attempt to cheat. I still have plenty of ways to detect this, but the reality is if someone is hell bent on such a thing, you can do so for any game, regardless of the platform, so handicapping development purely for that reason makes little sense in the end, and only hurts the players and game.

However, the flip-side is that some client-side modifications could be supported/enabled and encouraged, ones that don't automate any gameplay, but just add some functionality that is currently missing. For instance, some people wanted to show max stack size for fish, so one could write something that does this, if it doesn't exist in the actual game.

Anyway, I have a lot to do yet, before I even know if this is truly feasible or not, and what the performance and end product may even look like. Lots of little silly things yet to resolve.

So, if any of your UI designers out there ever had any sweet ideas for how you wished LS looked like, now might be the time to start posting mock-up screenshot images of such. :) The actual image assets of everything will most likely remain the same (porting them to SVGs, to maintain them as vectors.. yet another tedious task..), but how they are arranged on screen is likely to change in some ways. However, I'm also open to changing images, if someone talented gives me a good reason to with some custom created artwork that is usable for the game (format, sizing, etc). :)

If any of this sounds up your alley as far as your skill-set is concerned, feel free to post here with how you would like to help! While I'm not going to be just giving out the entire code-base, collaborating on certain other aspects (especially UI design/graphics related) is certainly something I'm open to.

Thanks again for your patience on this.

[edit] - There are feature updates in this version as well, so it's not just a client conversion. Those aren't ready to be announced yet, though. :)

awwwwwww yeahhhh
Gold: 52,443.89
Oct 20 2014 01:46pm
Fantastic. I love playing with UI stuff so I might post up some images after I complete my current project thats got me on a strangle hold at the moment.

But I've always felt, and sorry to say since I dont mean to offend, the UI for this game could under go a major overhaul for the better.

This post was edited by KakeWalk on Oct 20 2014 01:46pm
Gold: 402.65
Oct 20 2014 01:54pm
Hey Paul one thing I am wondering is of course phone screens are not that big. So if your in the catacomb getting in a game or a wave of 9 might be hard to hit with your fingers lol. Is it possible to have something similarrrr to the Arena set up for mobile gameplay where you can solo fight vs 1 or 2 monsters at a time. Just to make it easier to see on the phone.

I am not that great with techy stuff but I think you guys get my idea lol

With this if it becomes a good update I do feel more than half of us will lose our jobs due to playing LS on phones while at work ;)
Retired Moderator
Gold: 279,375.00
Trader: Mediator
Oct 20 2014 01:59pm
Quote (Knicks24 @ Oct 20 2014 01:54pm)
Hey Paul one thing I am wondering is of course phone screens are not that big.  So if your in the catacomb getting in a game or a wave of 9 might be hard to hit with your fingers lol.  Is it possible to have something similarrrr to the Arena set up for mobile gameplay where you can solo fight vs 1 or 2 monsters at a time.  Just to make it easier to see on the phone. 

I am not that great with techy stuff but I think you guys get my idea lol 

With this if it becomes a good update I do feel more than half of us will lose our jobs due to playing LS on phones while at work ;)

solo catacombs :)

I couldn't imagine trying to play ls on a phone.

Glad to see Paul making some updates though
Gold: 139.34
Oct 20 2014 02:06pm
I'd love to see a lot of the art updated in LS. I feel like thinking your character actually looks cool while paying can really add to a game, but it's very bland currently.

I know there are plenty of people with some graphic design expertise in the community, so, while I really have nothing to offer on this front, I'd love to see you guys strut your stuff and propse cool new designs for character classes, armor variations, and monsters.
Gold: 91,679.46
Oct 20 2014 07:01pm
This is awesome to hear, I slash on my mobile pretty frequently and I'd love to see some improvements.

If you need any help with testing, sizing, game function and playability, let me know. I have a few of the newer Samsung phones I can test it on, as well as on an iPad (streaming browser) for giggles.

:thumbsup:
Gold: 72,361.56
Oct 20 2014 07:07pm
:thumbsup:
Go Back To Ladder Slasher Topic List
Prev123444Next
Closed New Topic New Poll