d2jsp
d2jsp Forums > Off-Topic > General Chat > Political & Religious Debate > "do-nothing" Congress > Harry Reid And Lynn Jenkins
Prev123458Next
Add Reply New Topic New Poll
Gold: 260.11
Oct 20 2014 11:59am
Quote (Santara @ Oct 20 2014 07:42am)
Oh please. If that's the route you want to go, one could state that no bills are sitting on his desk:

http://www.csmonitor.com/var/archive/storage/images/media/images/2010/0223/0223-harryreid/7449945-1-eng-US/0223-HarryReid.jpg

Clearly, "sitting on Harry Reid's desk" is a euphemism for Democrat obstruction, and not Reid's own personal obstruction.

I'm not going any route, I'm stating a fact that being on his desk doesn't mean being obstructed by him... and you can make up euphamisms to defend the republicans and confirm what I've been saying (fake libertarian, jump through hoops to defend Republicans) all you want, or you can read the statement.

At any rate it was rated half true for the sake of placing blame on both parties for obstructionism, else it would have just been rated false. I have a feeling it should be close to 80% false to reflect who's actually doing the obstruction as half-true is just more false equivilance bullshit.

This post was edited by Thor123422 on Oct 20 2014 12:05pm
Gold: 20.00
Oct 20 2014 04:30pm
Quote (Thor123422 @ Oct 20 2014 12:10am)
I see you didn't even read your own link... it's half true because

"In some cases, committee chairs -- not Reid -- may be blocking or moving slowly on these bills. In other cases, senators are working on their own alternative bills on the same topic. Meanwhile, the claim oversells the degree of bipartisanship in the House; a majority of the Democratic-sponsored bills she cites are relatively minor pieces of legislation.

Ultimately, Jenkins places all the blame on the Democrats and the Senate, but experts agree that it takes two to tango. Both parties and chambers have played a role in creating the current legislative dysfunction. On balance, we rate the claim Half True."

Really? Read that statement a few times and realize how ridiculous it is. The bills were passed unanimously by democrats and republicans! Why would they need to be changed, and why would they take so long to do it?

Yet the "relatively minor" legislation still is not being passed? Probably because the illusion of a "do-nothing" congress hurts the republicans, not the democrats.
Gold: 285.00
Oct 20 2014 05:08pm
It is going to be great filibustering and blocking everything if the GOP ever wins the White House back. Maybe even shut down the government and blame the other guy :lol:

Quote (PixileDust @ Oct 20 2014 05:30pm)
Really? Read that statement a few times and realize how ridiculous it is. The bills were passed unanimously by democrats and republicans! Why would they need to be changed, and why would they take so long to do it?

Yet the "relatively minor" legislation still is not being passed? Probably because the illusion of a "do-nothing" congress hurts the republicans, not the democrats.

Illusion? The GOP in the Congress hasn't shown up for work since early 2008.

This post was edited by Skinned on Oct 20 2014 05:09pm
Gold: 5,016.77
Oct 20 2014 05:09pm
Quote (Skinned @ Oct 20 2014 06:08pm)
It is going to be great filibustering and blocking everything if the GOP ever wins the White House back.  Maybe even shut down the government and blame the other guy  :lol:

Democrats would never shut down the government, that directly contradicts their ideology.
Oct 20 2014 05:14pm
Quote (IceMage @ Oct 20 2014 06:09pm)
Democrats would never shut down the government, that directly contradicts their ideology.

The Republicans are welfare queens too.
Gold: 5,016.77
Oct 20 2014 05:17pm
Quote (Skinned @ Oct 20 2014 06:14pm)

Well sure, but the only thing that matters is the rhetoric. Politics 101.
Oct 20 2014 05:19pm
Quote (IceMage @ Oct 20 2014 06:17pm)
Well sure, but the only thing that matters is the rhetoric.  Politics 101.

Touche'.
Gold: 8,933.00
Oct 20 2014 05:48pm
Quote (Pollster @ Oct 20 2014 10:13am)
I don't exactly know what this derpin' is in specific reference to. It's hard to tell when you consider the reality of the situation: Republicans have been uniformly obstructing Senate business since January 2007, the exact moment that they became the minority party and when Harry Reid became Majority Leader. Given this fact, attempting to blame their behavior on him or anyone else is silly if not totally moronic as the behavior obviously preceded any action that he's taken that they might have objected to.

While he's very adept, Harry Reid is yet to take any action that is really unique in its own right (unless you want to count making Mitch McConnell filibuster himself, because that's probably never been done). He certainly hasn't done anything that justifies the uniform, continuous obstruction by the Republicans that uninformed people laughably try to blame on someone other than them. I know many of those same uninformed people who are blissfully ignorant of Congressional record like to believe that Reid has made some big transgression, usually pointing to the rule change last year,but changes in the exact same fashion occurred at least four times before (1917, 1959, 1975, and 1979) just to name a few of the higher-profile instances when the Senate re-codified in the exact same manner. There's also the nagging fact that an action taken in 2013 obviously can't be used to justify continuous behavior from 2007-2014.

Don't know? But I thought you were such a INFORMED individual. But still, you did touch on it with your false equivalency bullshit in the bold. It's false because in the four instances you noted, a nuclear option was only threatened, not acted upon, like Dingy Harry did. Since he followed through, it's only common sense that retaliation via one of the few avenues left - denial of unanimous consent - is in order.

Quote (Thor123422 @ Oct 20 2014 12:59pm)
I'm not going any route, I'm stating a fact that being on his desk doesn't mean being obstructed by him... and  you can make up euphamisms to defend the republicans and confirm what I've been saying (fake libertarian, jump through hoops to defend Republicans) all you want, or you can read the statement.

At any rate it was rated half true for the sake of placing blame on both parties for obstructionism, else it would have just been rated false.  I have a feeling it should be close to 80% false to reflect who's actually doing the obstruction as half-true is just more false equivilance bullshit.

The argument incessantly being put forth by Team Donkey is that the US House fails to address all these "good, common sense bills" sent over by the Senate where they refuse to act on them, making them the "do-nothing Congress" when the exact same thing is going on the other way too. 7 times more bills are languishing in the Senate than in the House. Yes, there's perfectly good reasons as to why that is, like how bills get out of each chamber, and also considerations noted in the Politifact link how many aren't even intended on being acted upon. But for the ones that are, both houses are sending bills over to the other house where they get no consideration. But only Republicans are obstructionists - especially if you asked the Hack™^^^.

Quote (Skinned @ Oct 20 2014 06:08pm)
Illusion?  The GOP in the Congress hasn't shown up for work since early 2008.

Still looking for proof. Roll call votes, etc.

This post was edited by Santara on Oct 20 2014 05:50pm
Gold: 20.00
Oct 20 2014 05:51pm
Quote (Skinned @ Oct 20 2014 05:08pm)
It is going to be great filibustering and blocking everything if the GOP ever wins the White House back.  Maybe even shut down the government and blame the other guy  :lol:

Illusion?  The GOP in the Congress hasn't shown up for work since early 2008.

You've said this 3 times in different places. Please show roll call evidence.

I find it hard to believe.

Quote (Skinned @ Oct 20 2014 05:14pm)

Skinned... you are delusional. I agree with you when you imply democrats are welfare queens; however, conservative Republicans believe in decreasing the size of government overall, and funding strategic programs, i.e. Nasa. Not welfare.
Gold: 260.11
Oct 20 2014 07:32pm
Quote (PixileDust @ Oct 20 2014 05:51pm)
You've said this 3 times in different places. Please show roll call evidence.

I find it hard to believe.

Skinned... you are delusional. I agree with you when you imply democrats are welfare queens; however, conservative Republicans believe in decreasing the size of government overall, and funding strategic programs, i.e. Nasa. Not welfare.

Skinned said REPUBLICANS and you're putting words in his mouth by only talking about "conservative" republicans, which you just happen to conveniently define as the ones that aren't what Skinned is talking about......

Quote (PixileDust @ Oct 20 2014 04:30pm)

Possibly because the senate democrats would prefer a different version than what the house democrats want..... and I'm reserving judgement on that one until I see some actual information since that's another statement which would be ripe for misrepresentation.

[QUOTE=Santara,Oct 20 2014 05:48pm]The argument incessantly being put forth by Team Donkey is that the US House fails to address all these "good, common sense bills" sent over by the Senate where they refuse to act on them, making them the "do-nothing Congress" when the exact same thing is going on the other way too. 7 times more bills are languishing in the Senate than in the House. Yes, there's perfectly good reasons as to why that is, like how bills get out of each chamber, and also considerations noted in the Politifact link how many aren't even intended on being acted upon. But for the ones that are, both houses are sending bills over to the other house where they get no consideration. But only Republicans are obstructionists - especially if you asked the Hack™^^^.QUOTE]

I'm fine assigning some blame to democrats, but to say it's a 50/50 split is absolutely, stupidly, untrue. The Democrats actually made deals with Republicans to seat judicial candidates during Republican majority, they never held up the surgeon general, and there are several examples of appointees which passed on the first vote once the fillabuster was lifted. They're actually obstructing nominations that they later voted in favor of confirming. We actually have Boehner ON FUCKING TAPE saying their game plan is to obstruct anything the Democrats put through at meetings with donors like the Koch brothers.
Go Back To Political & Religious Debate Topic List
Prev123458Next
Add Reply New Topic New Poll