d2jsp
d2jsp Forums > Off-Topic > General Chat > Political & Religious Debate > 2016 Elections > State Of Play
Prev123Next
Add Reply New Topic New Poll
Gold: 0.00
Oct 19 2014 04:03pm
what about florida's governor race?
Gold: 20.31
Oct 19 2014 04:07pm
Quote (Clicquot @ Oct 19 2014 03:03pm)
what about florida's governor race?

It's being held this year, next month on November 4th. You'll find discussion on that in this thread, and you can search for "FL-GOV" to find different updates involving that one race. There will be a new update on that and the rest of the important governor races tomorrow.

Quote (Santara @ Oct 19 2014 02:51pm)
No, this thread is for self-aggrandizement, spin, condescension and the entirely unoriginal walls of text you're so fond of.

I am bringing something useful to the discussion - criticisms of potential Donkey candidates themselves. You're the one interested in analysis of polling numbers, but that in no way makes for the entirety of the topic of discussion - especially when you stray from it so often yourself.

No, it isn't. And as has been said many times: you simply saying something doesn't magically make it true.

Again: either meet the low bar or go derp somewhere else. It really is that simple. You're obviously not bringing something useful to the discussion, and there's simply no appetite for the nonsense. Take it somewhere else.
Gold: 8,933.00
Oct 19 2014 04:58pm
Quote (Pollster @ Oct 19 2014 05:07pm)
No, it isn't. And as has been said many times: you simply saying something doesn't magically make it true.

Again: either meet the low bar or go derp somewhere else. It really is that simple. You're obviously not bringing something useful to the discussion, and there's simply no appetite for the nonsense. Take it somewhere else.

Yes, it is. But it's still true. :)

Bar: met.
Oct 20 2014 08:49am
Some of the most high-profile Senate races of 2016 have proxy battles going on this year that'll greatly influence how they take shape. Two are particularly important: Nevada and Kentucky.

In Kentucky, Rand Paul has been pretty open with his intentions to run for president. State law forbids him for running for president and reelection to the Senate though, so Paul would have to choose (or take it to court). This all changes if the Republicans gain a majority in the Kentucky State House though, and they need a net gain of 5 seats on Election Day to do it. At the beginning of the cycle most people naturally assumed that the GOP could easily accomplish this but now the party is starting to concede their odds are roughly 50%-50%. Republican strategists cite two main factors for this: Democratic fundraising [See: http://mycn2.com/politics/house-candidates-stock-their-campaign-accounts-32-days-before-election-day] and Democratic recruiting in Republican-held seats [See: http://mycn2.com/politics/more-than-a-dozen-contested-state-house-seats-leave-fate-of-the-chmaber-in-flux]. If the Democrats hold the State House then Paul will have to choose. If he runs for reelection he'd start out a modest favorite, but an open contest would be decent pickup opportunity for the Democrats.

In Nevada, most believe that Harry Reid will stick with his plans to run for reelection. The GOP has one and really only one candidate who could credibly force Reid into a challenging campaign: Governor Brian Sandoval. The rub is that Sandoval would have to give up his seat to challenge Reid, which could put Democrats in control of the state if they win the LG position this year. That contest is one of the high-profile downballot races in the country this year between Republican State Senator Mark Hutchinson and Democratic Assemblywoman Lucy Flores. The Democrats didn't challenge Sandoval and it's believed that Hutchinson has a significant advantage due to that, as the only other thing the Democrats are trying to accomplish is a hold of the State Senate.

That might have changed recently though, as the race for Attorney General got interesting. Republican nominee Adam Laxalt has had a rough time on the trail as details of his poor performance in his job leaked and became a major distraction. It only got worse: 8 members of Laxalt's own family have endorsed his opponent Ross Miller, and did so by authoring an Op-Ed in the Las Vegas Sun about why he's the better candidate [See: http://lasvegassun.com/news/2014/oct/16/doing-whats-best-nevada/]. This could shift the LG race back to a true tossup, and if Flores wins it that might cause Sandoval to pass on a Senate run, shifting the range towards the Democrats as one of their only 2 truly vulnerable seats gets shored up.
Gold: 0.76
Oct 20 2014 09:11am
Quote (Pollster @ 19 Oct 2014 16:38)
It's very telling that Cooper, who has several times passed on running for Governor, decided a full three years in advance to challenge McRory in 2016. McRory is incredibly vulnerable and the outrage that his decisions caused that led to the "Moral Monday" protests really speaks to that. By manipulating North Carolina's obscure ballot access laws (and gerrymandering the legislature, of course), the Republicans were theoretically going to be able to usher in continuous Republican control up to or beyond 2020 with McRory's win but they are already at risk of that slipping away due to persistent unpopularity.

McRory's job approval rating has rebounded slightly after the beating he took throughout 2013 but he's not out of the woods. If Thom Tillis loses the Senate election next month then there's a chance it'll be remembered as a referendum on what McRory and the legislature did to the state, and that could be damning for McRory when he has presidential turnout to deal with again.

This thread is no different than the other: please kindly take this kind of nonsense somewhere else. This thread is for serious, reality-based electoral discussion.
If you're not able to clear that bar then you have positively nothing to offer here.

Quote (Pollster @ 19 Oct 2014 16:46)
Again, the thread is for serious and substantive discussion, because that's what users (and nonusers alike) ask for, expect, and want to see. They don't want to see you herpin' and derpin' with this bubble-babble nonsense and they don't even want to see me smash it into a million pieces; they want commentary that's actually informative.

It's very simple: either bring something useful to this, or don't. You can post stupid things somewhere else, and that would be really appreciated by both me and others. If you'd like to attempt to discuss the electoral aspects of a Clinton or Biden or Warren candidacy then feel free, but there's no appetite for the dumb.

For someone who only uses D2jsp forums as an outlet for humor, for trolling threads to get a rise out of those who you don't feel are up to your level of intellect. you seem awfully concerned about being taken seriously in this thread. Or is this just another troll thread aimed at another opportunity to laugh at everybody else, if not your defense of your topic is a little cute, in a silly sort of way.

Oct 20 2014 09:35am
It's actually very simple: I ask for substantive discussion in this thread, because it (and the 2014 version) were obviously designed specifically for that purpose. They are obviously unlike the rest of the forum and unlike how I and everyone else use the rest of the forum. It would be nice if every thread was used for serious, reality-based discussion but they aren't. I have no interest in dragging this forum towards that admittedly-low standard of content either; I prefer just to make good on the simple request to maintain a thread that can be used for serious discussion about elections that doesn't get bogged down with all the hurr-durr bullshit that everyone can find in literally every other thread on the forum.

The entire rest of the forum can be used for what I and the rest of the members tend to use it for. As I have said many times in many threads: I encourage it. It really shouldn't be too terribly difficult to comprehend that this thread is designed for a difficult type of discussion. It really should only need to be said about six or seven times until people can figure it out. There are surprisingly many people who want the type of political discussion that isn't happening on the rest of the forum. That's why they ask for these threads and it's why I make them, and why I expect the regular users here to be able to rub the two brain cells together necessary to recognize that they should leave well enough alone in these threads while they can continue to use the rest of the forum as we all do.
Oct 20 2014 11:28am
Quote (Pollster @ 20 Oct 2014 10:35)
It's actually very simple: I ask for substantive discussion in this thread, because it (and the 2014 version) were obviously designed specifically for that purpose. They are obviously unlike the rest of the forum and unlike how I and everyone else use the rest of the forum. It would be nice if every thread was used for serious, reality-based discussion but they aren't. I have no interest in dragging this forum towards that admittedly-low standard of content either; I prefer just to make good on the simple request to maintain a thread that can be used for serious discussion about elections that doesn't get bogged down with all the hurr-durr bullshit that everyone can find in literally every other thread on the forum.

The entire rest of the forum can be used for what I and the rest of the members tend to use it for. As I have said many times in many threads: I encourage it. It really shouldn't be too terribly difficult to comprehend that this thread is designed for a difficult type of discussion. It really should only need to be said about six or seven times until people can figure it out. There are surprisingly many people who want the type of political discussion that isn't happening on the rest of the forum. That's why they ask for these threads and it's why I make them, and why I expect the regular users here to be able to rub the two brain cells together necessary to recognize that they should leave well enough alone in these threads while they can continue to use the rest of the forum as we all do.

:rofl:
Gold: 171.76
Oct 20 2014 11:31am
Quote (Santara @ Oct 19 2014 05:00pm)
Well, since "important people" read His Sublimeness, the Pollster's threads, this will be an opportunity for all the rest of us knuckledraggers to communicate directly with them.

Hey Hillary Clinton. Do the country a favor and kill yourself. We'll just chalk it up as a well-deserved retroactive death penalty for all the people whose blood is on your hands.

Hey Elizabeth Warren, how's the Trail of Tears working out for you?

Hey Joe Biden, how come you didn't scare off that fence jumper with a well-placed aerial burst from your shotgun?

Can we have the bushes both killed as well for the same reason or do you always give republicans a pass
Oct 20 2014 11:45am
Quote (bitg_pj @ 20 Oct 2014 12:31)
Can we have the bushes both killed as well for the same reason or do you always give republicans a pass

Cheney too...owait he could just take Bush1 and dubya hunting :D

Gold: 500.00
Oct 20 2014 02:59pm
the impact of the hispanic vote seems to get larger every year and it always leans left :o

http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/the-fix/wp/2014/10/17/how-to-understand-the-latino-vote-in-5-charts/
Go Back To Political & Religious Debate Topic List
Prev123Next
Add Reply New Topic New Poll