d2jsp
d2jsp Forums > Off-Topic > General Chat > Political & Religious Debate > Current Petro Prices?
Prev123
Add Reply New Topic New Poll
Gold: 752.10
Oct 17 2014 06:40pm
Quote (Caedus @ Oct 17 2014 06:22pm)
It's ridiculous. Diesel pollutes no more than gas engines do. Clean diesels often win Green Car awards.

There is a massive misconception with diesel fuel. Per gallon it might appear to be more efficient, however in terms of CO2 emissions and particulate emissions it isn't. Also I strongly approve of the sulfur restrictions. It is also better for the engines.
Gold: 1,819.09
Oct 17 2014 07:10pm
Quote (nobrow @ Oct 17 2014 08:40pm)
There is a massive misconception with diesel fuel. Per gallon it might appear to be more efficient, however in terms of CO2 emissions and particulate emissions it isn't. Also I strongly approve of the sulfur restrictions. It is also better for the engines.

That's actually the misconception. Cars and SUVs today equipped with diesel are not significantly different in their environmental footprints. And considering diesel is much more energy efficient than gasoline and it requires less refining, there's even less going into the environment.

Diesel is just as good if not better for the environment in many circumstances. US regulations on it are effectively a scapegoat against the trucking industry and to protect American car manufacturers/oil refineries who have more to gain by having cars run on gas. 51% of cars in Europe are diesel, and the Europeans have significantly tighter environmental regulations then the US. Diesel is also significantly cheaper there.
Oct 17 2014 11:31pm
Quote (Caedus @ Oct 17 2014 07:10pm)
That's actually the misconception. Cars and SUVs today equipped with diesel are not significantly different in their environmental footprints. And considering diesel is much more energy efficient than gasoline and it requires less refining, there's even less going into the environment.

Diesel is just as good if not better for the environment in many circumstances. US regulations on it are effectively a scapegoat against the trucking industry and to protect American car manufacturers/oil refineries who have more to gain by having cars run on gas. 51% of cars in Europe are diesel, and the Europeans have significantly tighter environmental regulations then the US. Diesel is also significantly cheaper there.

The majority of pollution is produced when a vehicle starts up. If you want to have this argument I am more than willing to.
Gold: 25.00
Oct 18 2014 10:47am
it was 3.29 at some places in SC when i left for San Fran 2 weeks ago
Came home last night to places as low as 2.77
A pretty big dip. As far as I know its just due to supply vs demand, and the supply is in much excess, especially considering the US is one of (or THE?) largest producer of oil in the world right now.
Gold: 171.76
Oct 18 2014 11:11am
The pathetic part is the last time oil was this cheap gas was well below a dollar a liter...yet people seem grateful to be paying 1.20....

And who's going to try and make the argument that somehow production costs have risen 30% or more in the past 5 years?

We are being hosed badly....and we're happy to have it done
Gold: 1,819.09
Oct 18 2014 12:14pm
Quote (nobrow @ Oct 18 2014 01:31am)
The majority of pollution is produced when a vehicle starts up. If you want to have this argument I am more than willing to.

So? This isn't 1973. Most people couldn't tell a modern clean diesel from your regular gasoline engine anyway. No black soot, no dark exhaust, no smell, no tractor roar. Diesel engines are clean. The greenest non-electric car in the world is a hybrid turbodiesel.
Oct 18 2014 07:35pm
Quote (Caedus @ Oct 18 2014 12:14pm)
So? This isn't 1973. Most people couldn't tell a modern clean diesel from your regular gasoline engine anyway. No black soot, no dark exhaust, no smell, no tractor roar. Diesel engines are clean. The greenest non-electric car in the world is a hybrid turbodiesel.

The black soot isn't the problem, it's NOx, SOx, CO that you don't s
Go Back To Political & Religious Debate Topic List
Prev123
Add Reply New Topic New Poll