d2jsp
d2jsp Forums > Off-Topic > General Chat > Political & Religious Debate > Religion And Happiness > Not Mutually Exclusive
Prev123414Next
Add Reply New Topic New Poll
Gold: 1,895.00
Oct 17 2014 12:11pm
Quote (Valhalls_Sun @ Oct 17 2014 12:40pm)
First Blue; The schools have a strict separation of church and state, evolution is taught no creationism, the bible is not taught and there is no prayer in school the only things the schools are not allowed to teach are religious ideals, which I'm 100% in agreement with.

Red: You may have a slightly mistaken view of our culture, having been a minister I still have some friends that are also serving small churches like I did, I've openly discussed my lack of faith with them  via internet, and we write back and forth about faith based missues and non-faith based issues.
  Also before becoming disabled I worked construction and the crews that I worked with were always comfortable talking about belief or not believing. We as a society having been based based on freedoms take the freedom of speech very dearly and for the most part at least in my experience IRL, when talking person to person, folks aren't really that worried about opening up.

To think that the way that society thinks could change or alter my destiny is silly, I'll go along with the environment around me molded me, but then I was surrounded by religion yet I didn't even think that I believed in god until I was flying to a trauma hospital in a chopper with a cluster of blood vessels bleeding out in my brain. that molded me the titanium plates screwed to my skull molded me, the scoliosis mixed with the dissolving discs in my spine causing my back to slowly break and cripple me that's molding me. but to say that the atmosphere of other's beliefs could affect my own thinking isn't giving me much credit now is it?

Have you grown up surrounded by atheists ? no religion around to rebel against? was there any that affected you?

Creation is still taught in some states alongside evolution. 46% of our country are creationists (sad but true) which explains why that's still the case. Not to mention things like stem cell research was put on hold for nearly a decade because of those ideals. People tend to vote for those who have similar views, so when a large portion of the population is scientifically illiterate they will vote for politicians who are as well. So things like climate change don't get addressed. Also if you were gay you would obviously would be negatively impacted by religion. These days religious views simply hinder progress.

This post was edited by dark-soul on Oct 17 2014 12:12pm
Gold: 7,252.72
Oct 17 2014 12:11pm
...I am certainly happier as a Christian than I ever was an an atheoagnostic .
Gold: 500.00
Oct 17 2014 12:35pm
Quote (Voyaging @ Oct 17 2014 01:07pm)
I'm an atheist. I was a Christian. I was happier when I was a Christian. The world is a horrible place.

probably should've taken the blue pill
Gold: 1.00
Oct 17 2014 12:46pm
Quote (Voyaging @ 17 Oct 2014 19:07)
I'm an atheist. I was a Christian. I was happier when I was a Christian. The world is a horrible place.

I'd have to agree that the world is horrible, for most of the inhabitants, and it's one of the primary reasons I have difficulty accepting the idea of a divine creator.

Quote (WidowMaKer_MK @ 17 Oct 2014 19:11)
...I am certainly happier as a Christian than I ever was an an atheoagnostic .

Did you one day just feel inspired to be a Christian?

I try to be as open minded as possible, and I've often hoped for some kind of answer or explanation through spirituality, but I've never felt anything that makes me believe that a God exists.

At times I wish I could believe in the things religion has to offer, but I'd be lying to myself to pretend that I do.
Oct 17 2014 12:55pm
Quote (Plaguelord @ Oct 17 2014 02:46pm)

Did you one day just feel inspired to be a Christian?

I try to be as open minded as possible, and I've often hoped for some kind of answer or explanation through spirituality, but I've never felt anything that makes me believe that a God exists.

At times I wish I could believe in the things religion has to offer, but I'd be lying to myself to pretend that I do.

...God already knows if you will respond to His call and the response comes from the heart , not the mind .

Gold: 1.00
Oct 17 2014 01:33pm
Quote (WidowMaKer_MK @ 17 Oct 2014 19:55)
...God already knows if you will respond to His call and the response comes from the heart , not the mind .

I'm being as receptive as I possibly can, and yet I feel nothing that would indicate being called on.

Quote (Matthew 22:14 NKJV)
For many are called, but few are chosen.

Quote (Luke 13:24 NKJV)
Strive to enter through the narrow gate, for many, I say to you, will seek to enter and will not be able.

Quote (Romans 9:27 NKJV)
Though the number of the children of Israel be as the sand of the sea, the remnant will be saved.

Either I'm right, and there is no God, or God exists, and I'm not one of his chosen children.

I'm open to the possibility of a divine creator, but from my limited perspective, there's no way he has anything to do with the bible if he does exist, and the world he created and what he allows to occur within it make him evil anyhow.

I still view the Bible as a man-made tool of oppression, albeit a brilliant one, and any possible creator is not worthy of praise or worship.

Gold: 633.87
Oct 17 2014 01:34pm
I would be a pretty terrible person without religion, I guarantee it.
Oct 17 2014 01:37pm
Quote (Plaguelord @ Oct 17 2014 03:33pm)
I'm being as receptive as I possibly can, and yet I feel nothing that would indicate being called on.

...the most hopeful possibility is that you have not been called yet...I was just past 40 . That you are open to it is a good sign .

Gold: 1,272.50
Oct 17 2014 01:38pm
Quote (Voyaging @ 17 Oct 2014 11:07)

So.. give us the jist.. what's your story?

This post was edited by HighschoolTurd on Oct 17 2014 01:38pm
Gold: 32,161.71
Oct 17 2014 01:41pm
Not to distract from the thread too much, but I personally feel the happiest people are those that maintain their spirituality without being religious. It is possible to believe in something divine without attributing it to mainstream religions.

I'm not saying that's me, but from what I have observed those people feel they don't have a need to press on to others what they believe like a lot of atheo/religious folks.

Go Back To Political & Religious Debate Topic List
Prev123414Next
Add Reply New Topic New Poll