d2jsp
d2jsp Forums > Off-Topic > General Chat > Political & Religious Debate > The Press That Cried Wolf
1238Next
Add Reply New Topic New Poll
Gold: 18,470.03
Oct 12 2014 10:52am
The media has a history of hyping threats to attract attention. (See terrorism) I wonder if down the line or perhaps now with ebola, if people will be unable to respond appropriately to a real threat. I wonder if people have become desensitized by sensationalism.

Your thoughts?
Gold: 285.00
Oct 12 2014 11:07am
Quote (nineinchnailz @ Oct 12 2014 11:52am)
The media has a history of hyping threats to attract attention.  (See terrorism) I wonder if down the line or perhaps now with ebola,  if people will be unable to respond appropriately to a real threat.  I wonder if people have become desensitized by sensationalism.

Your thoughts?

I don't think most people take cable news to be sacrosanct or even that legitimate. I think in most cases people who are fans of cable news watch whatever news station matches their biases so they can get all riled up in righteous indignation. It is an activity people engage in because they enjoy it. And the cable news stations isn't really presenting new data or presenting it in a new way....anybody who is actually trying to be informed is looking elsewhere and then go to Fox or MSNBC when they want to have their biases confirmed and get all riled up by Rachael Maddow or Bill O'Reilly.

There is something most people fail to consider: the third-person effect. We at PaRD aren't the enlightened few who know that cable news is mostly bullshit....in fact most people know that cable news is mostly bullshit. Glen Beck kind of got a cult out of his show but Olberman was properly struck down when he acted out in the same ways so there is hope :lol: But most people are right with us in know in that cable news is mostly BS and the people who do watch cable news do so for reasons beside being informed.
Gold: 0.76
Oct 12 2014 11:10am
News has become like baskin robbins ice cream there are flavors for everyone, not that many years ago befor cable tv. and satellite tv. really all we had for news was the big 3 ABC, CBS, and NBC. and the anchors on the evening news brought you the news, honestly maybe with a bit of a left lean or right lean but mainly middle of the road, and we took the news to be honest and forthcoming.

when there was a disaster if it was reported as such on the networks we knew it was a disaster..it was real!

now with every flavor of the news possible it's hard to know just what is fair and honest reporting, a channels reputation doesn't seem to be as much at stake if there is bad reporting now.
Gold: 7,252.72
Oct 12 2014 11:11am
..the threat from terrorism is not overblown and folks are not desensitized to the possible threat from ebola .
Oct 12 2014 11:13am
Quote (Skinned @ Oct 12 2014 12:07pm)
I don't think most people take cable news to be sacrosanct or even that legitimate.  I think in most cases people who are fans of cable news watch whatever news station matches their biases so they can get all riled up in righteous indignation.  It is an activity people engage in because they enjoy it.  And the cable news stations isn't really presenting new data or presenting it in a new way....anybody who is actually trying to be informed is looking elsewhere and then go to Fox or MSNBC when they want to have their biases confirmed and get all riled up by Rachael Maddow or Bill O'Reilly.

There is something most people fail to consider:  the third-person effect.  We at PaRD aren't the enlightened few who know that cable news is mostly bullshit....in fact most people know that cable news is mostly bullshit.  Glen Beck kind of got a cult out of his show but Olberman was properly struck down when he acted out in the same ways so there is hope  :lol:  But most people are right with us in know in that cable news is mostly BS and the people who do watch cable news do so for reasons beside being informed.

This is supporting my point. We know the news is bullshit, so what happens when they all of a sudden start ranting about something we really should be concerned about? Do we dismiss it as alarmist sensationalism when we really should be paying attention?
Gold: 285.00
Oct 12 2014 11:16am
Quote (nineinchnailz @ Oct 12 2014 12:13pm)
This is supporting my point.  We know the news is bullshit,  so what happens when they all of a sudden start ranting about something we really should be concerned about? Do we dismiss it as alarmist sensationalism when we really should be paying attention?

Wrong, the usual programming interrupts what is usually scheduled on the Big Three and Fox 19 and the President of the United States breaks the news and everybody knows it is important.

Cables news stations are for-profit firms that exist to sell ad-space. They aren't a charity preforming a public services out of the good of their hearts.

Watch the evening news if you want grownup news. Yes they'll talk about Ebola and terrorism in sober terms.

This post was edited by Skinned on Oct 12 2014 11:17am
Gold: 7,252.72
Oct 12 2014 11:18am
Quote (nineinchnailz @ Oct 12 2014 01:13pm)
This is supporting my point. We know the news is bullshit,  so what happens when they all of a sudden start ranting about something we really should be concerned about? Do we dismiss it as alarmist sensationalism when we really should be paying attention?

...borderline conspiracy nutter bullshit .
Oct 12 2014 11:28am
Quote (WidowMaKer_MK @ Oct 12 2014 12:18pm)
...borderline conspiracy nutter bullshit .

Full blown indoctrination
Oct 12 2014 11:36am
Quote (Skinned @ Oct 12 2014 12:16pm)
Wrong, the usual programming interrupts what is usually scheduled on the Big Three and Fox 19 and the President of the United States breaks the news and everybody knows it is important.

Cables news stations are for-profit firms that exist to sell ad-space.  They aren't a charity preforming a public services out of the good of their hearts.

Watch the evening news if you want grownup news.  Yes they'll talk about Ebola and terrorism in sober terms.

A fair point. I hadn't considered that. Thanks. :)
Oct 12 2014 11:40am
Quote (Valhalls_Sun @ Oct 12 2014 12:10pm)
News has become like baskin robbins ice cream there are flavors for everyone, not that many years ago befor cable tv. and satellite tv. really all we had for news was the big 3 ABC, CBS, and NBC. and the anchors on the evening news brought you the news, honestly maybe with a bit of a left lean or right lean but mainly middle of the road, and we took the news to be honest and forthcoming.

when there was a disaster if it was reported as such on the networks we knew it was a disaster..it was real!

now with every flavor of the news possible it's hard to know just what is fair and honest reporting, a channels reputation doesn't seem to be as much at stake if there is bad reporting now.

Agreed.
Go Back To Political & Religious Debate Topic List
1238Next
Add Reply New Topic New Poll