d2jsp
d2jsp Forums > Off-Topic > General Chat > Political & Religious Debate > Hot Mic Catches Reporter On Ebola "were Screwed" > Video
Prev1234Next
Add Reply New Topic New Poll
Gold: 270.56
Oct 10 2014 08:32am
Quote (Santara @ Oct 10 2014 04:20am)
TIL CBS reporters are Ebola experts.

this.
Gold: 2,407.00
Oct 10 2014 08:58am
Gold: 1,382.83
Oct 10 2014 04:28pm
Who cares?
Gold: 133,165.00
Oct 11 2014 04:19am
ebola can't even make a dent in the developed world. Does anyone understand how it is spread? lol
Gold: 109.01
Oct 11 2014 08:00am
Quote (RUSSiABANK @ Oct 11 2014 05:19am)
ebola can't even make a dent in the developed world. Does anyone understand how it is spread? lol

people like to mention this point saying that its hard to spread, and its not quite as contagious as the common cold. Well the cold is easily spread, think about how many people in your office/school get the cold and flu every year.

The common cold is spread either by direct contact with infected secretions from contaminated surfaces or by inhaling the airborne virus after individuals sneeze or cough. Person-to-person transmission often occurs when an individual who has a cold blows or touches their nose and then touches someone or something else.

In the United States, colds account for more visits to the doctor than any other condition.
Adults get an average of two to four colds per year, mostly between September and May.
Young children suffer from an average of six to eight colds per year.
Colds are highly contagious. They most often spread when droplets of fluid that contain a cold virus are transferred by touch. These droplets may also be inhaled.

HOW DOES EBOLA SPREAD?

Through close contact with a symptomatic person's bodily fluids, such as blood, sweat, vomit, feces, urine, saliva or semen. Those fluids must have an entry point, like a cut or scrape or someone touching the nose, mouth or eyes with contaminated hands, or being splashed. That's why health care workers wear protective gloves and other equipment.

The World Health Organization says blood, feces and vomit are the most infectious fluids, while the virus is found in saliva mostly once patients are severely ill and the whole live virus has never been culled from sweat.

WHAT ABOUT MORE CASUAL CONTACT?

Ebola isn't airborne. Dr. Tom Frieden, director of the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, has said people don't get exposed by sitting next to someone on the bus.

"This is not like flu. It's not like measles, not like the common cold. It's not as spreadable, it's not as infectious as those conditions," he added.

CAN DOGS SPREAD IT?

No one knows. Authorities euthanized the pet dog of a Spanish nursing assistant who caught Ebola while caring for a patient there. No case of Ebola spreading between dogs and people has ever been documented. But at least one study suggests dogs may be able to get Ebola without showing symptoms.

The human in me wants this disease to go away, for people to be happy and healthy. The realist in my says 7bill people on this planet is far to high, the majority of the worlds problems are the result of overpopulation , fighting for diminishing resources and all the related issues. A 30-50% reduction in our population in likely the most metro areas in some ways wouldn't be an entirely bad thing, like pruning a bush.

This post was edited by Master_Zappy on Oct 11 2014 08:01am
Gold: 475.46
Oct 11 2014 08:25am
Quote (Master_Zappy @ Oct 11 2014 07:00am)
people like to mention this point saying that its hard to spread, and its not quite as contagious as the common cold. Well the cold is easily spread, think about how many people in your office/school get the cold and flu every year.

The common cold is spread either by direct contact with infected secretions from contaminated surfaces or by inhaling the airborne virus after individuals sneeze or cough. Person-to-person transmission often occurs when an individual who has a cold blows or touches their nose and then touches someone or something else.

The human in me wants this disease to go away, for people to be happy and healthy. The realist in my says 7bill people on this planet is far to high, the majority of the worlds problems are the result of overpopulation , fighting for diminishing resources and all the related issues.  A  30-50% reduction in our population in likely the most metro areas in some ways wouldn't be an entirely  bad thing, like pruning a bush.

touble is it isnt airborne so bugger off
Gold: 2.70
Oct 11 2014 08:56am
alex jones is a cia shill
Gold: 0.00
Oct 11 2014 09:23am
Quote (Master_Zappy @ Oct 11 2014 09:00am)
The human in me wants this disease to go away, for people to be happy and healthy. The realist in my says 7bill people on this planet is far to high, the majority of the worlds problems are the result of overpopulation , fighting for diminishing resources and all the related issues.  A  30-50% reduction in our population in likely the most metro areas in some ways wouldn't be an entirely  bad thing, like pruning a bush.

You know what they say about leading by example? If you aren't willing to put up, then shut up.
Gold: 109.01
Oct 11 2014 09:33am
Quote (Brian_D @ Oct 11 2014 09:25am)
touble is it isnt airborne so bugger off

it doesnt need to be hollywood's version of "airborne" to spread, to a large extent it is spread from surface contamination. Did you not read the quotes on how the common cold is spread and how ebola is spread? I didnt quote the cdc for my health.

If Ebola is so hard to get, how is it that our trained professionals in the field are getting it? They take every precaution (and then some) and yet, they are being infected? I think it lives far longer on surfaces than they are suggesting, this virus can live on surfaces for up to 6 days according to some testing. There is a growing acceptance among doc's that this strain of ebola can be transmitted at minor distances from airbourne saliva and mucus particles. The first person diagnosed with Ebola in the U.S. died on Wednesday despite intense but delayed treatment.

Someone sneezing and or coughing spreads droplets to surfaces, and if you touch these surfaces you run the risk of getting sick. If a sneeze particles enter your eyes, nose or mouth, you run the risk of infection. Its not airborne per say, but it can be spread thru airborne means.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Airborne_disease
An airborne disease is any disease that is caused by pathogens and transmitted through the air. Such diseases include many that are of considerable importance both in human and veterinary medicine. The relevant pathogens may be viruses, bacteria, or fungi, and they may be spread through coughing, sneezing, raising of dust, spraying of liquids, or similar activities likely to generate aerosol particles or droplets.

A cough or sneeze is a 'multiphase turbulent buoyant cloud,' as the researchers term it in the paper, because the cloud mixes with surrounding air before its payload of liquid droplets falls out, evaporates into solid residues, or both.
The study found that droplets 100 micrometers — or millionths of a meter — in diameter travel five times farther than previously estimated, while droplets 10 micrometers in diameter travel 200 times farther.
Droplets less than 50 micrometers in size can frequently remain airborne long enough to reach ceiling ventilation units.

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sciencetech/article-2600044/The-slow-motion-video-reveals-sneezes-travel-far-thought-create-cloud.html#ixzz3FqpDWR1f
Follow us: @MailOnline on Twitter | DailyMail on Facebook

Govt media pundits or their cherry picked view confirming doctors saying it isnt airbourne is a mechanism for the sheeple to mitigate panic and fear. The definitions of how colds and flu's are spread and airbourn diseases are spread is not appreciably different from how the cdc also states ebola is spread. Its not good to overstate the seriousness of ebola, but one shouldnt deny the reality of it either. There is clearly a drastic difference in 1st world countries and third world countries ability to minimize risk and contamination.
The public is being told by health officials that the virus that causes Ebola cannot be transmitted through the air and can only be spread through direct contact with bodily fluids – blood, sweat, vomit, feces, urine, saliva or semen – of an infected person who is showing symptom
'Unqualified assurances that Ebola is not spread through the air are "misleading".'
Dr C J Peters, who has undertaken research into Ebola for America's Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, told the paper: 'We just don't have the data to exclude it [becoming airborne].'
Meanwhile virologist Dr Philip K Russell, a former head of the U.S Army's Medical Research and Development Command, told the paper: 'I see the reasons to dampen down public fears. But scientifically, we're in the middle of the first experiment of multiple, serial passages of Ebola virus in man.... God knows what this virus is going to look like. I don't.'
In September, Michael Osterholm, the director of the Center for Infectious Disease Research and Policy at the University of Minnesota, writing in the New York Times, said experts who believe that Ebola could become airborne are loathed to discuss their concerns in public, for fear of whipping up hysteria.
Discussing the possible future course of the current outbreak, he said: 'The second possibility is one that virologists are loath to discuss openly but are definitely considering in private: that an Ebola virus could mutate to become transmissible through the air.'

Quote (Surfpunk @ Oct 11 2014 10:23am)
You know what they say about leading by example? If you aren't willing to put up, then shut up.

Well we're on the same page then. I choose not to have kids, I live a fairly humble life and I grow a decent amount of my own food. My vehicle is efficient on gas , and I walk and bike as much as feasible. I hope your doing your part too.

I made a point that humanity as a whole and the health of the planet would be improved if there was substantially less people on it, not that I advocate killing or hoping for some catastrophe to make it so.

Quote (Warlock316 @ Oct 11 2014 09:56am)
alex jones is a cia shill

controlled opposition , I think so too.

How do infections go airborne?
http://health.howstuffworks.com/diseases-conditions/infectious/infection-airborne.htm

This post was edited by Master_Zappy on Oct 11 2014 09:59am
Gold: 0.00
Oct 11 2014 11:38am
Quote (Santara @ Oct 10 2014 08:37am)
Pretty sure you need to sign up at the Venus Project too, just to be on the safe side.

lolol
Go Back To Political & Religious Debate Topic List
Prev1234Next
Add Reply New Topic New Poll