d2jsp
d2jsp Forums > Off-Topic > General Chat > Political & Religious Debate > So Why Did Us Support The Albanians > During The Balkans
Prev1234
Add Reply New Topic New Poll
Gold: 6.66
Oct 10 2014 05:28am
Quote (hATemOnkEy @ Oct 10 2014 12:43am)
My father is Croatian.
I can tell you. Croatians commited warcrimes as well.

sure, but warcrimes != genocide... afaik croats and bosnians have not massexecuted serbs, which was the case vice versa. croats and bosnians have not invaded serbia, which was the case vice versa. they have not started with ethnic cleansing, the serbs did. I still remember the pictures of vukovar...
too many people equate serbs, which was the aggressors, with croats and bosnians, which was the victims who did nothing but to defend themself, saying "they all have done bad things". all 3 sides have commited warcrimes, no doubt, but serbs was the one who caused it, who planed it, who had concentration camps which resulted in massacres (is was something around 8k people in just few days in srebrnitsa if i am not mistaken)
hundreds of thousands of raped women by serbs, dead children and elderly people, massgraves, etc... croats, bosnians and serbs are simply "not the same". at least not for me.

Quote (bioshocker @ Oct 9 2014 11:40pm)
aand here comes that eastern european multi  darkkobra. The English was giving it right away

shot??
if you think i am a multi feel free to report me. what are you waiting for? like i already said - i dont know that darkcobra guy or what he has done to butthurt you that much, however he seems to give you nightmares, bigtime lol... picking on my english, which is my 4th language, while not being able to speak anything besides english is, well, dense. not that i expected something else from a murican idiot like you. "if some1 fucks me with arguments, i will point out that his english sucks, thus he sucks, and i will call him multi, thus i won." - your way to go, right?
Quote (bioshocker @ Oct 9 2014 12:31am)
dont forget the Bosnian Mujahedin muslims and how they got fully supported along with the  al-Qaeda militants that assisted them and were called freedom fighters… defending … freedom…

take care, common sense incoming: if serbs (orthodox christian) start killing every muslim and every croat (catholics) in a country like bosnia, just because they are not orthodox christian, wanting them all dead in order to make an "etnically clean" country for the serbs - then the muslims and catholics ARE freedom fighters, defending freedom. i'm curious if you can grasp that simple logic...
Gold: 68.99
Warn: 10%
Oct 10 2014 06:29am
Quote (Caedus @ Oct 10 2014 04:23am)
You're flat out wrong. History is not neutral in any sense as you claim it is. Roman historians are the predominant source for history of war and conflict, in many cases the only source. Many people today believe the Carthaginians sacrificed children, of which the only literary evidence comes from biased Roman sources. It wasn't until recently that it was discovered it is far more likely Carthaginian's cremated and revered their children rather than sacrifices.

the general consensus is "sacrifices happened, but definitely not to the extent that Justin and Diodorus". there's a fair reason to assume that they did because a) Near Eastern practices
and
b.) even the Romans practiced child sacrifice at times, such as after the defeat at Cannae.

The narrative and discourse of conflict is defined by the victors, and the evidence to over turn this has to be overwhelming. Perhaps you should learn to have a clue of what you're talking about before you start making such outlandish, ludicrous, and obviously incorrect statements and acting as if you are some authority. You're a nobody who make a clearly incorrect claim (history isn't biased).

great job at going for heavy second option bias while dismissing the historical method and evaluating sources. did you just totally forget about the examples i gave for you? Suetonius' biases are not Tacitus' biases are not Tertullian's biases etc.
were the Germans unable to write?

Saying something wasn't illegal because people weren't convicted is ridiculous. It is fact the allies committed war crimes, and it is fact (not opinion) that the fire bombing's of German and Japanese cities was a crime against humanity. Setting a city on fire so it's civilians are incinerated and killed in gruesome ways is as heinous as the gassing a population group. The Americans killed around 100,000 Japanese civilians on a single night. That is not just war. What makes the holocaust a significantly worse crime than fire bombings? Because the German's explicitly killed to eliminate population? The result's are comparable: mass killings for little to no military gain.

The Hague Conventions did not allow bombardment of civilian populations from the air. They made no mention, because the advent of bombing from aircraft didn't begin until the Spanish Civil War. Slaughtering civilian populations with no just military justification absolutely would have been considered a war crime. German's were prosecuted for doing just that. It is easy to make the argument the fire bombing of Dresden and Tokyo can be viewed as unlawful slaughter's of civilian populations.

Germany did not incinerate over 100,000 enemy civilians. You seem to think there is no difference between the fire bombing of Tokyo and a small scale bombing of an industrial zone.

the change from high explosive bombs from high altitudes to incendiary bombs was a result of the lackluster effect of the convential bombings. daylight precision bombing wasn't that effective because of the heavily dispersed nature of the Japanese industy, so they certainly weren't "just for fun" like German mass murders were. have you ever looked at the amount of civilian deaths caused by German actions in the Soviet Union or Poland?
the fact that your nazi heroes aren't venerated doesn't mean that history is biased.
Gold: 1,819.09
Oct 10 2014 08:41am
Quote (Gastly @ Oct 10 2014 08:29am)
the general consensus is "sacrifices happened, but definitely not to the extent that Justin and Diodorus". there's a fair reason to assume that they did because a) Near Eastern practices
and
b.) even the Romans practiced child sacrifice at times, such as after the defeat at Cannae.

great job at going for heavy second option bias while dismissing the historical method and evaluating sources. did you just totally forget about the examples i gave for you? Suetonius' biases are not Tacitus' biases are not Tertullian's biases etc.
were the Germans unable to write?

the change from high explosive bombs from high altitudes to incendiary bombs was a result of the lackluster effect of the convential bombings. daylight precision bombing wasn't that effective because of the heavily dispersed nature of the Japanese industy, so they certainly weren't "just for fun" like German mass murders were. have you ever looked at the amount of civilian deaths caused by German actions in the Soviet Union or Poland?
the fact that your nazi heroes aren't venerated doesn't mean that history is biased.

General consensus isn't an amalgamation of opposing opinions. You can't assume anything, just because the Phoenicians practiced sacrifice doesn't mean the Carthaginians did. Rome had a clear bias against Carthage, and crafted a narrative of both fact and fiction to paint the Carthaginians as people who committed widespread child sacrifice, while evidence today suggest it wasn't. For thousands of years, the Roman (biased) narrative dominated perceptions of Carthaginians. It took modern archeology to change this. Roman sacrifice after Cannae isn't indicative of Rome. Sacrifice was taboo even after Cannae, but such desperate circumstances led people back to historical religious practices. The sacrifice of an infant in desperate times is not indicative of Roman attitudes towards sacrifice.

It's irrelevant what a particular writers bias is. Writers are not partial to the entire story, and their beliefs, values, and arguments are based on prevailing opinions and accounts of the times they lived. Roman history is a biased account of world history, dominated with views of superiority, propaganda, and more. Cicero, one of the greatest Roman philosophers and one of the most influential philosophers of antiquity was inherently biased. His just war theory defended Roman actions clearly against his belief systems because of the persona Rome evoked.

If Germany would have won the war, allied commanders involved in the fire bombing would have been prosecuted for war crimes. Germany losing changes the narrative. This isn't even a debatable subject. History is written and shaped by the people with the power to do so. The Americans shaped the narrative and history of the Pacific War with actions taken during the occupation. Today Japanese war crimes are not seen in the same light as German because of the narrative. The Armenian, Greek, and Assyrian Genocides committed by the Turks are not viewed as crimes as heinous as the ones Germany committed because of the narrative.

History is not facts. it is as much a product of the circumstances and biases as anything else. You just defended two fire bombings which had very limited impact on war production because of the narrative. America defended the fire bombing of Tokyo with military reasons, when the bombing happened after Japan had already all but lost the war. The fire bombing was designed to break Japanese morale by gruesomely incinerating tens of thousands of Japanese civilians. The fire bombing destroyed the city, it clearly wasn't just targeting industry.

This post was edited by Caedus on Oct 10 2014 08:43am
Gold: 678.00
Oct 10 2014 05:13pm
Quote (rimtutitukee @ 10 Oct 2014 13:28)
sure, but warcrimes != genocide... afaik croats and bosnians have not massexecuted serbs, which was the case vice versa. croats and bosnians have not invaded serbia, which was the case vice versa. they have not started with ethnic cleansing, the serbs did. I still remember the pictures of vukovar...
too many people equate serbs, which was the aggressors, with croats and bosnians, which was the victims who did nothing but to defend themself, saying "they all have done bad things". all 3 sides have commited warcrimes, no doubt, but serbs was the one who caused it, who planed it, who had concentration camps which resulted in massacres (is was something around 8k people in just few days in srebrnitsa if i am not mistaken)
hundreds of thousands of raped women by serbs, dead children and elderly people, massgraves, etc... croats, bosnians and serbs are simply "not the same". at least not for me.

It seems to me that you have a simplistic view of events, perhaps fueled by a need to distinguish 'bad guys' from 'good guys'.

The whole thing was a clusterfuck and all governments of the day (Croat, Serbian (although at that point it was still Yugoslavian), Bosnian) are guilty.

One group may have killed more civilians than the other, but noone was innocent in that conflict.
Gold: 68.99
Warn: 10%
Oct 11 2014 07:48pm
Quote (Caedus @ Oct 10 2014 05:41pm)
General consensus isn't an amalgamation of opposing opinions. You can't assume anything, just because the Phoenicians practiced sacrifice doesn't mean the Carthaginians did. Rome had a clear bias against Carthage, and crafted a narrative of both fact and fiction to paint the Carthaginians as people who committed widespread child sacrifice, while evidence today suggest it wasn't. For thousands of years, the Roman (biased) narrative dominated perceptions of Carthaginians. It took modern archeology to change this. Roman sacrifice after Cannae isn't indicative of Rome. Sacrifice was taboo even after Cannae, but such desperate circumstances led people back to historical religious practices. The sacrifice of an infant in desperate times is not indicative of Roman attitudes towards sacrifice.

are you separating the Punics from the Phoenicians? it's the same people with the same Gods. the Romans portrayed them as doing them regularly, which is propaganda, but... check my post . the tophets of Carthage etc. hold burnt remains of infants btw.
the Romans over-exaggerated, yes, but the many Tophets held infants' remains (other than those of Carthage as well.)

It's irrelevant what a particular writers bias is. Writers are not partial to the entire story, and their beliefs, values, and arguments are based on prevailing opinions and accounts of the times they lived. Roman history is a biased account of world history, dominated with views of superiority, propaganda, and more. Cicero, one of the greatest Roman philosophers and one of the most influential philosophers of antiquity was inherently biased. His just war theory defended Roman actions clearly against his belief systems because of the persona Rome evoked.

i think that it's important to highlight that the Romans always felt their wars to be righteous ever since they first declared them, with them throwing a spear across their opponents' borders 30 days before going to war when they were about to go to war with them (at least during the Italian wars.) but they still always sought to justify their wars each and every time.

If Germany would have won the war, allied commanders involved in the fire bombing would have been prosecuted for war crimes. Germany losing changes the narrative. This isn't even a debatable subject. History is written and shaped by the people with the power to do so.

a) Chinese history
b) the Nazis wouldn't have done so because the concept of justice meant nothing to them.

c) RUSSIANS, BELARUSIANS, POLES, JEWS, ETC...
especially the pure 100% god damn pure genocides documented by everythig from Mein Kampf to the Posen speech to each and every god damn motherfucking historical document.
see, the Germans and everyone god damn else were capable of writing and they god damn well did write about their thoughts and their intentions.

The Armenian, Greek, and Assyrian Genocides committed by the Turks are not viewed as crimes as heinous as the ones Germany committed because of the narrative

they're usually viewed as disgusting and horrible events in all countries apart from Turkey and somewhat the U.S (???). - it's a bit of a NATO-core-problem.
History is not facts. it is as much a product of the circumstances and biases as anything else..

that's very post-modern of you, but the historical method's gotten better at understanding biases etc., and teaching about them is a very important part of teaching about the historical method. Tacitus is generally used as an example (why did he say what he said about many of the Germanics?).

This post was edited by Gastly on Oct 11 2014 08:10pm
Oct 13 2014 03:22am
Quote (hATemOnkEy @ Oct 11 2014 01:13am)
It seems to me that you have a simplistic view of events, perhaps fueled by a need to distinguish 'bad guys' from 'good guys'.

The whole thing was a clusterfuck and all governments of the day (Croat, Serbian (although at that point it was still Yugoslavian), Bosnian) are guilty.

One group may have killed more civilians than the other, but noone was innocent in that conflict.

My view of events is based on things my close friends told me. You simply can not say "they all r guilty" when 1 (serbs) or 2 (serbs and croats) of the 3 want the 3rd (bosniaks) dead and gone.
If we go to same class, and i start kicking and punching you every day, you are not to blame if you go nuts after a while and kick me back. U cant simply say "their both fault, both of them were punching"
One group killed way too many civilians to even be compared to the others. The ones who was attacked and had to defend themself are not to blame.
Gold: 678.00
Oct 13 2014 05:19am
Quote (rimtutitukee @ 13 Oct 2014 11:22)
My view of events is based on things my close friends told me. You simply can not say "they all r guilty" when 1  (serbs) or 2 (serbs and croats) of the 3 want the 3rd (bosniaks) dead and  gone.
If we go to same class, and i start kicking and punching you every day, you are not to blame if you go nuts after a while and kick me back. U cant simply say "their both fault, both of them were punching"
One group killed way too many civilians to even be compared to the others. The ones who was attacked and had to defend themself are not to blame.

Comparing genocidal civil war (with ethnic and religious tensions dating back centuries) with a class dispute?

OK.

This post was edited by hATemOnkEy on Oct 13 2014 05:30am
Oct 13 2014 07:39am
Quote (hATemOnkEy @ Oct 13 2014 01:19pm)
Comparing genocidal civil war (with ethnic and religious tensions dating back centuries) with a class dispute?

OK.

you didnt get what i was trying to say, nevermind...
Go Back To Political & Religious Debate Topic List
Prev1234
Add Reply New Topic New Poll