d2jsp
d2jsp Forums > d2jsp > Ladder Slasher >
Poll > Int & Vita Item Suggestion > Very Minor Add
Prev1234
Add Reply New Topic New Poll
  Guests cannot view or vote in polls. Please register or login.
Gold: 4,966.59
Oct 22 2014 02:38am
Vote: Yes

Similar ideas about Vitality have come up before, a few times. The only change/update was it became a defensive mod. on armors.
I mean, I guess it makes sense.

Some work on Vita though, Imo. will still be quite nice.

e - Ugh had typed out some info about the 4 Stat mods, but hell, just read the damn LS Portal, lol.

This post was edited by James84 on Oct 22 2014 02:40am
Gold: 139.34
Oct 22 2014 07:21am
After plenty on consideration, I've voted No on this. This may be kind of long; bear with me.

After some discussion on exactly how vitality works (here, as well as on this poll), the idea in this topic seems like a further complication on system that already has some complications that I think look more like errors and/or sloppy development than solid mechanics.

Vitality does not function like a normal stat. If you get it from one place, it works one way, if you get it somewhere else, it works another. This is counter-intuitive and nonsensical.

Vitality should do what vitality does, no matter where you get it or when you get it. It should work in a consistent manner. The proposed change would only make the mechanics for vitality even more quirky.

I understand the fear that providing the additional life pool that one could acquire by benefiting from vitality on gear may be troubling to developers, and that this may throw things out of balance. So, there are 2 simple ways this could be addressed:

1: Change the formulas to make it balanced. This could mean:
reducing +life rolls to make room for additional life from vitality;
reducing vitality rolls to reduce their benefit to life pools;
changing the formula for how vitality provides life to make vitality from gear an important stat for tanks in order to reach life pools that they currently reach without it;
any mix of these or plenty of other, more fundamental changes to the way the stats work.

2: If re-balancing life vs. vitality is too much work, or if developers are just happy with the way everything works and don't want to change it ... it should really not be called vitality on gear, because it simply isn't vitality. It's only part of vitality. Call it Physical Armor Proficiency or Toughness or Thick Skin or whatever you want to call it. But sharing a name with something that provides life while it neglects to provide life is sloppy, counter-intuitive, and confusing/unwelcoming for new players.

The mechanics for vitality and life pools are the same as the mechanics for intel & mana pools, from what I can tell, so this argument applies there, too.

tl;dr - This change doesn't make sense. It further complicates a system that needs to be streamlined, instead.
Gold: 8,577.68
Oct 22 2014 05:33pm
@ dab2110

1. Using a stat point into vitality or intelligence, you gain the best benefits all round... [25 points = +1 Regen + 25% defense (based on armor) and Pool]
2. Using a stat potion only benefits defense / regen and after levelling up, then pool.
3. Using a stat item only benefits defense and regen.

Thus, this is not incorrect coding and is balanced out... the suggestion is to help improve the usefulness of items with Int / Vitality, make them more useful,
which will also increase its' value... mind you, with my idea, the minimal increase in pool is irrelevent really, but, for those other items with another stat or ee
combined with 15-30+ vita or int, it will increase its' worth.

Note: I was like you ages ago before vitality and intelligence got CORRECTED to calculate the pool [using your stat points], but then the defensive manner
of these stats are also great, but in no way would I want to go backwards where you did NOT get the correct life/mana pool in your suggestion of reducing
it again.
Gold: 139.34
Oct 23 2014 09:25am
Quote (izParagonzi @ Oct 22 2014 07:33pm)
@ dab2110
Thus, this is not incorrect coding and is balanced out...

I don't think you understand what I'm saying.

First, you say "thus" as if you've made an argument for how balanced the current system is, which you haven't; you've simply described the system. To make a judgement on whether or not its balanced, you would have to explain why the way it works is the way it should work, and why changes to it would be for to the detriment of the game. Second of all, if it is balanced, as you assert, it seems not to make sense that you would want it to change.

My point is not on whether or not the system is balanced, it's on whether or not it makes sense, which it doesn't. If you pump points into vitality and watch your life pool grow, then you should expect that finding items with a bonus to vitality would also increase your health pool. This is intuitive, and it follows the same standards that you find in other games. That is, if a stat increase comes from X or Y, you still get the same bonus.

I argue that the system doesn't make sense, and it makes it difficult for new players to get a decent grasp on the game, how it works, how to build a character, and how to value items. I go on to argue that your change just adds further complications to the system, that would make it more difficult to make good judgments for newer players.

The bit I put in about re-balancing is just one way to fix the problem. I think it would be better to just change vitality on armor to say something else. It would be more simple than making balance changes, and there is already a +life mod on items that fulfills that need. I also think that vitality from potions should add to your life pool the same way building vitality while leveling, but that's more of a side note to the topic of vitality. That's the part that seems like a coding problem more than an balancing problem.
Gold: 8,577.68
Oct 23 2014 05:40pm
Quote (dab2110 @ Oct 24 2014 04:25am)
I don't think you understand what I'm saying.

The problem is... you did not read what I wrote in the "Note", another thing "thus" is in reference in making a statement or a point, not an arguement.

Basically, in my "note" I use to think just like you that the fvcking coding was wrong etc and blah fvcking blah... if he did it the way I thought like over fvcking 5 years ago... it would be bad,
again... you have only given your vote based on the coding point, YET, your fvcking arguement is saying that you want more fvcking life / mana pool as it should be... isn't that kinda being
two faced? Voting "NO" but wanting higher life / mana pool with VITA / INT items?

Don't bother responding, if you take this post as being rude, just think about it will you.
1. I pointed out I thought just like you.
2. This post was saying to add some mana / life pool when wearing such items.
3. You vote no... but want coding to be fixed so that these items do give mana / life pool.
Go Back To Ladder Slasher Topic List
Prev1234
Add Reply New Topic New Poll