d2jsp
d2jsp Forums > Off-Topic > General Chat > Political & Religious Debate > Syrian Plane Shot Down By Israel
Prev123Next
Add Reply New Topic New Poll
Gold: 285.00
Sep 24 2014 05:52am
Quote (Scaly @ Sep 24 2014 06:40am)
Because at this point it doesn't matter. Terrorist group vs fascist state. Doesn't matter how we got here - we're here now and there's fuck all to do about it except try and help the innocent civilians stuck in the middle.

The US airstrikes in Syria have been condemned as illegal by several countries now. America is not the only country who gets to decide when a government is or isn't legitimate.

False dichotomy tastes great!

This began by ordinary men and women leaving their homes and seeking self-determination.

There is no Syrian state currently, I'm sorry to break it to you, it has utterly failed and the every city in the nation is in ruins. There is no social contract. The Civil War has escalated so much that the entire society has broken down. There is nowhere in Syria where you can live normally.

The only question is what comes next. Any solution can't include Assad, or else it is just a continuance of the current situation, which he is primarily responsible for.
Sep 24 2014 05:55am
Pictured: Civilization

Removing photo of dead bodies clutching rags over their faces in their futile attempt to protect themselves from gas and chemical attacks.

This post was edited by Skinned on Sep 24 2014 06:00am
Gold: 1,819.09
Sep 24 2014 06:00am
This changes very little. Syria will not attack Israel.

Quote (Skinned @ Sep 24 2014 07:39am)
The people of Syria have called it illegitimate when they went outside to peacefully protest only to be greeted by tanks, bullets, and gas.

You don't remember how the civil war started do you?  Nobody on these forums seems to.

A state does not need consent to be legitimate.
Gold: 0.00
Sep 24 2014 06:03am
Quote (Skinned @ 24 Sep 2014 11:52)
False dichotomy tastes great!

This began by ordinary men and women leaving their homes and seeking self-determination.

There is no Syrian state currently, I'm sorry to break it to you, it has utterly failed and the every city in the nation is in ruins.  There is no social contract.  The Civil War has escalated so much that the entire society has broken down.  There is nowhere in Syria where you can live normally.

The only question is what comes next.  Any solution can't include Assad, or else it is just a continuance of the current situation, which he is primarily responsible for.

How about no solution from the US. How about just provide as much non-military aid to civilians as possible and let it run it's course. When Al-Nusra or the FSA or whoever sit in the seat of power at the end of the struggle then we can see what will happen. Right now we're just arming terrorist groups, carrying out illegal airstrikes and just generally being dicks.
Sep 24 2014 06:03am
Quote (Caedus @ Sep 24 2014 07:00am)
This changes very little. Syria will not attack Israel.

A state does not need consent to be legitimate.

Do you think the current state in Syria is legitimate, your ideological apologetic aside?

Pictures: Activities in a legitimate state

I have tons of these from a journalist who traveled with the FSA.

Easy to make apologetics from your comfortable liberal democracy with your universal health care and elections.

Quote (Scaly @ Sep 24 2014 07:03am)
How about no solution from the US. How about just provide as much non-military aid to civilians as possible and let it run it's course. When Al-Nusra or the FSA or whoever sit in the seat of power at the end of the struggle then we can see what will happen. Right now we're just arming terrorist groups, carrying out illegal airstrikes and just generally being dicks.

Illegal airstrikes? Illegal how? There is no international law, the international system is essentially an anarchy with individual states advancing their own best interests.

You might think they're wrong, and other states may not like it, but these strikes are outside of the realm of law.

This post was edited by Skinned on Sep 24 2014 06:12am
Gold: 0.00
Sep 24 2014 06:28am
Quote (Skinned @ 24 Sep 2014 12:03)
Do you think the current state in Syria is legitimate, your ideological apologetic aside?

Pictures:  Activities in a legitimate state

http://i60.tinypic.com/2ugmmid.jpg

http://i57.tinypic.com/2pyvp5e.jpg

http://i59.tinypic.com/29w7r4z.jpg

Easy to make apologetics from your comfortable liberal democracy with your universal health care and elections.

Illegal airstrikes?  Illegal how?  There is no international law, the international system is essentially an anarchy with individual states advancing their own best interests.

You might think they're wrong, and other states may not like it, but these strikes are outside of the realm of law.

No. But it doesn't matter what I think... the decision has to be ratified in the UN. America constantly makes decisions like this without the consent of the UN and other international bodies. They are not outside the realm of law. The Syrian government has not yet been declared illegitimate by the UN and as America is part of the UN it is required to recognise it as a government until it is. That's what being part of the UN means.

This post was edited by Scaly on Sep 24 2014 06:28am
Sep 24 2014 06:36am
Quote (Scaly @ Sep 24 2014 07:28am)
No. But it doesn't matter what I think... the decision has to be ratified in the UN. America constantly makes decisions like this without the consent of the UN and other international bodies. They are not outside the realm of law. The Syrian government has not yet been declared illegitimate by the UN and as America is part of the UN it is required to recognise it as a government until it is. That's what being part of the UN means.

I don't think that the UN is an authoritative world body.

I don't think any nation truly considers them self to be subordinate to any NGO.
Gold: 1,819.09
Sep 24 2014 06:40am
Quote (Skinned @ Sep 24 2014 08:03am)

Pictures:  Activities in a legitimate state

Illegal airstrikes?  Illegal how?  There is no international law, the international system is essentially an anarchy with individual states advancing their own best interests.

Yes. Syria is unequivocally a state in general, so they must be legitimate. We don't want to think simply because there are armed groups within a country that a country is not a state. The Syrian government is the recognized; globally, government of a territory and population known as "Syria", and they are the only group who can lawfully have formal relations with other nations. Statehood and legitimacy necessitate each other.

Also, yes there is international law. It's not the same as domestic law, but it does exist.
Gold: 32,161.71
Sep 24 2014 10:33am

To be fair, the UN's presence in the world is worthless.
Gold: 633.87
Sep 24 2014 11:19am

Nobody recognizes the sovereignty of the UN, not even the UN itself. It's a forum for international debate, not a state.

Syria is a state which no faction has control over, the international community is free to decide which side to support and they don't need Sino-Russian approval to do it.
Go Back To Political & Religious Debate Topic List
Prev123Next
Add Reply New Topic New Poll