d2jsp
d2jsp Forums > Off-Topic > General Chat > Political & Religious Debate >
Poll > Choose Your Election Night
Prev12
Add Reply New Topic New Poll
  Guests cannot view or vote in polls. Please register or login.
Gold: Locked
Sep 18 2014 02:23pm
I think I'd take the Senate, assuming I don't have to pick along party lines. I'm sure governor would be a good thing to control as well, but I feel like this country has more problems on the federal level than the state level, and as such having my pick of the Senate would be better for the long term success of the country than having my pick at governor.
Gold: 5,016.77
Sep 18 2014 02:30pm
All I can say is....

Signature.
Gold: 20.31
Sep 18 2014 04:31pm
Quote (BardOfXiix @ Sep 18 2014 04:23pm)
I think I'd take the Senate, assuming I don't have to pick along party lines.  I'm sure governor would be a good thing to control as well, but I feel like this country has more problems on the federal level than the state level, and as such having my pick of the Senate would be better for the long term success of the country than having my pick at governor.

You're essentially choosing between nominal control of the Senate or a slate of (mostly) very influential and powerful governorships. Yes the Senate wields more power comparatively but the House and the President limit what can be done with such a small majority in the Senate. On the other hand most of these governorships going one way or the other is the difference between one governing extreme or the other in those states. Many have a steady history of reelecting incumbents so having a major edge in the crucial next remap could be as easy as just winning them this year.

Quote (Santara @ Sep 18 2014 02:39pm)
Yeah, you got that part right.

Bill Frist didn't change the Senate's rules. Harry Reid did. Harry Reid established the precedent.

And what you completely FAIL to grasp from my post is that it involves a hypothetical future scenario where Republicans would use "turnabout is fair play," not the stupid shit from the past you revived that fails to address the hypothetical at all.

Actually, Bill Frist did change some Senate rules. He just didn't adjust the filibuster in the way that was done in 2013 because he wasn't able to and because the Democrats gave him better incentive to not even try only to fail. As far as the rest of your post: LOLNO, but thanks for the laugh. Your pathetic projection attempts work as well here as everywhere else, which is to say that they don't work at all.

Though I actually did respond to your hypothetical: again, the Republicans would be butchered for engaging in blatant hypocrisy. You understandably would do anything to avoid having to acknowledge that characterization of events but it's accurate. Importantly it's not truly a hypothetical either because there's already some evidence that speaks to how it would go over. Unfortunately for them they only have themselves to blame for the predicament that they'd be in if they tried it, which might actually be enough for them to NOT try it if they were to find themselves in the position to think about it.
Gold: 8,933.00
Sep 18 2014 05:18pm
Quote (Pollster @ Sep 18 2014 05:31pm)
Actually, Bill Frist did change some Senate rules. He just didn't adjust the filibuster in the way that was done in 2013 because he wasn't able to and because the Democrats gave him better incentive to not even try only to fail. As far as the rest of your post: LOLNO, but thanks for the laugh. Your pathetic projection attempts work as well here as everywhere else, which is to say that they don't work at all.

Though I actually did respond to your hypothetical: again, the Republicans would be butchered for engaging in blatant hypocrisy. You understandably would do anything to avoid having to acknowledge that characterization of events but it's accurate. Importantly it's not truly a hypothetical either because there's already some evidence that speaks to how it would go over. Unfortunately for them they only have themselves to blame for the predicament that they'd be in if they tried it, which might actually be enough for them to NOT try it if they were to find themselves in the position to think about it.

Lesson in hacking^^^ (and saying things thinking that makes them true).

@ 1st bold: complete fucking point. Rest is just your bullshit spin. It isn't projection to ridicule your inability to recognize precedent, it's the pinnacle of accuracy. Get good, son.

@ 2nd bold: ROLMFAO no. Being able to point at Democrats actually having done it first is a valid argument.

This post was edited by Santara on Sep 18 2014 05:25pm
Go Back To Political & Religious Debate Topic List
Prev12
Add Reply New Topic New Poll