d2jsp
d2jsp Forums > Off-Topic > General Chat > Political & Religious Debate > Is Hilary Clinton Gonna Be The Next President? > Ive Been Hearing Some Things..
Prev123456Next
Add Reply New Topic New Poll
Gold: 20.31
Sep 11 2014 07:23pm
Quote (Voyaging @ Sep 11 2014 02:08am)
I'd venture to guess it's much more likely to be a Republican than a non-Clinton Democrat.

I can't really see that being the case unless you're 100% certain that Clinton will be the Democratic nominee, making a non-Clinton Democrat an impossibility. I'm pretty certain that Clinton will be the Democratic nominee, say 90%, but I'm not entirely certain. Most people can't see it but she's been doing a lot of maneuvering that indicates that she's going to run but it's always possible that she has a change of heart.

The non-Clinton Democrats still have several large advantages over the Republicans, especially the specific Republicans that appear to be making up their primary contest. A Generic Republican would start at a disadvantage and those specific Republicans are even weaker. They really need a large, unpredictable outside event like a massive economic downturn or a legitimate (not Fox News fantasy) scandal to plague the Democratic brand to reach equal footing with the Democrats.
Gold: 152.00
Sep 11 2014 07:34pm
Quote (Pollster @ Sep 11 2014 09:23pm)
I can't really see that being the case unless you're 100% certain that Clinton will be the Democratic nominee, making a non-Clinton Democrat an impossibility. I'm pretty certain that Clinton will be the Democratic nominee, say 90%, but I'm not entirely certain. Most people can't see it but she's been doing a lot of maneuvering that indicates that she's going to run but it's always possible that she has a change of heart.

The non-Clinton Democrats still have several large advantages over the Republicans, especially the specific Republicans that appear to be making up their primary contest. A Generic Republican would start at a disadvantage and those specific Republicans are even weaker. They really need a large, unpredictable outside event like a massive economic downturn or a legitimate (not Fox News fantasy) scandal to plague the Democratic brand to reach equal footing with the Democrats.

If you really think there's a 90% chance of Democrats winning then you really ought to place some bets, you'd make a killing if you're right (since Vegas is giving WAY less than 90% odds).
Gold: 5,016.77
Sep 11 2014 07:36pm
Quote (Voyaging @ Sep 11 2014 08:34pm)
If you really think there's a 90% chance of Democrats winning then you really ought to place some bets, you'd make a killing if you're right (since Vegas is giving WAY less than 90% odds).

His spin doesn't work on bookies.
Gold: 633.87
Sep 11 2014 08:19pm
Quote (Pollster @ Sep 11 2014 08:23pm)

I thought the status quo view was that she is running. It seems pretty clear that she is preparing to run, and very unlikely that she would throw away an incredibly strong opportunity to become president.

Joe Biden is a bit of a joke and Warren is the Santorum of the left. I don't see much quality in the field aside from the giant shadow Clinton is throwing across the race.
Gold: 20.31
Sep 11 2014 11:32pm
Quote (Voyaging @ Sep 11 2014 09:34pm)

I myself have trouble getting people to agree to electoral bets since they know that through so many professional connections I obviously know many things that they don't know, or won't know until it's too late. What makes electoral betting risky is that elections very rarely play out on the neutral environment that most intelligent election forecasters use to determine how events *should* occur.

I have positively no issue with forecasting the 90% likelihood that the Democratic nominee wins a neutral election in 2016 because they have so many advantages, especially if that nominee is Clinton, but the issue remains that there are far too many points where some dynamic-shifting event occurs that shifts the environment from neutral to lock in early. That's why it's best to wait until 4-5 weeks before an Election Day to make bets.

Quote (bogie160 @ Sep 11 2014 10:19pm)
I thought the status quo view was that she is running. It seems pretty clear that she is preparing to run, and very unlikely that she would throw away an incredibly strong opportunity to become president.

Joe Biden is a bit of a joke and Warren is the Santorum of the left. I don't see much quality in the field aside from the giant shadow Clinton is throwing across the race.

The conventional wisdom holds that she's more likely to run than not, but few people (virtually no one outside of professional operatives) actually see what she has done and what's being done in her name/to her benefit. It shouldn't and won't surprise many people if/when she announces her candidacy in 7-odd months but some people will have known long before then what's coming.

Aside from that, comparing Warren to Santorum is silly and is totally and completely incorrect. Warren has a national network and is a prolific fundraiser, which is the exact opposite of what Santorum was before, during, and after the the nominating contest. Her operation is flush with cash as well as influential and critical allies (which he also lacked). She also comes with little baggage (and zero electoral baggage, unlike him who carried around an embarrassing landslide defeat) and has a direct appeal to the low-information and politically apathetic electorate that enjoys economic populism and outsider flare. She could easily run (and win) if necessary, but is not a likely bet even if Clinton passed. There are about 6 or 7 other Democrats who could ride the the Democratic advantage in the Electoral College, population growth/demographic change, and the Democratic national infrastructure to a nice-sized win in 2016 all else being equal.

This post was edited by Pollster on Sep 11 2014 11:32pm
Gold: 7,127.50
Sep 11 2014 11:41pm
I hope she is, republicans have noticed since the start of Bush that this country is on the down and out so they are funneling money away from the US before it collapses.
They are backing all their own party members' private companies and interests.
Democrats waste money on social programs but at least that money stays in the US and doesn't go offshore
Sep 12 2014 01:15am
Quote (Pollster @ Sep 12 2014 01:32am)
I myself have trouble getting people to agree to electoral bets since they know that through so many professional connections I obviously know many things that they don't know, or won't know until it's too late. What makes electoral betting risky is that elections very rarely play out on the neutral environment that most intelligent election forecasters use to determine how events *should* occur.

Tons of places online that take virtually unlimited bets, moneyline on democrats winning is -180 last I checked sooo (this means you need to bet $180 to win $100)... just saying :P
Gold: 14.88
Sep 12 2014 03:31am
Quote (Skinned @ Sep 11 2014 06:18am)
If the jumped off a cliff the world would indeed be better off.

Shame when a difference of opinion gets someone killed.
Gold: 10.01
Sep 12 2014 04:27am
who gives a shit dont vote for any politician

become an active democrat and be responsible for your own actions.
Create communities instead of nations/presidents/corporations

woman/man/black/white/christian/muslim/left/right/green etc etc

illusions of choice my friend
Sep 12 2014 02:16pm
Quote (PlasmaSnake101 @ Sep 12 2014 05:31am)
Shame when a difference of opinion gets someone killed.

Yea, poor Osama.
Go Back To Political & Religious Debate Topic List
Prev123456Next
Add Reply New Topic New Poll