d2jsp
d2jsp Forums > Off-Topic > General Chat > Political & Religious Debate > Neo Segregation - An Issue Of Race
1234Next
Add Reply New Topic New Poll
Gold: 20.00
Sep 7 2014 02:10am
I have self-labeled this phenomena as Racial-Cultural Segregation or Neo Segregation.

Disclaimer - I am not saying this is the way things are; I am saying this is the way people think.

The Way People Think:

We develop stereotypes, names, and locations that are "black" or "mexican".

For example:

African American - Black
Latino American - Mexican
Asian American - Asian
European American?! (Regular!?) American - White

Tyrone - black
Xu Chen - Asian
Jose - Must be Mexican
Bill - Probably white

My best friend is [Black, Asian, Mexican, etc] - White
Racism - White
Crime - Black
Smart - Asian

The differences between Races seems to be actually expanding rather than decreasing in many ways. For example, "black names" have only been different from white names since the 1960's.

Issues:

1. The current state of how things are should not be the goal!

2. Current liberal/conservative political policies actually encourage racial-cultural segregation.

Questions & Solutions:

1. Why do we differentiate between people of different races so greatly?

2. How can we eliminate racial-cultural segregation?

3. How can we change policy to encourage integration?
Gold: 14.88
Sep 8 2014 05:20am
Quote (PixileDust @ Sep 7 2014 12:10am)
Questions & Solutions:

1. Because differences can be easily observed.

2. You force it.

3. You make thought that disagrees with your objective criminal, socially or legally, it has the same consequence.

And light will be lost among the dark.
Gold: 152.00
Sep 8 2014 09:36am
Sounds like homework.

But anyway, acknowledging differences and segregation are very different things. There's nothing wrong with people of different races and cultures wanting to be unique and independent. The fact that races tend to hang out with people similar to them and do similar things is not a problem in my opinion and doesn't need to be changed. The issue is when people of certain races are treated as more or less ethically significant than others.
Gold: 282,060.50
Sep 8 2014 09:56am
Gold: 2,900.49
Sep 8 2014 09:59am

Like Snake said, the differences are easily observable, even if you can't physically see someone.

I don't think you can in a free society and people with similar races tend to gravitate towards one another on their own, they aren't being forced into those by the government or anything. Maybe massive wealth redistribution and intermarrying/breeding could do the trick.

I'd say they've tried by making public education available to everybody and prohibiting establishments from not allowing certain races to go into their stores for being whatever race but there's a ton of social pressure/realities that exist that can't be eliminated by policy, at least not easily or quickly or without drastic shit like I mentioned above with the utmost priority on integration.

To ask you a question, I want to ask why society ought to value integration so much we craft specific policies in order to encourage/achieve it?

Gold: 2,407.00
Sep 8 2014 10:02am
Calling a black person black isn't racial segregation.
Gold: 2,900.49
Sep 8 2014 10:03am
Quote (Mastersam93 @ Sep 8 2014 04:02pm)

Good cause I'm not stopping.
Gold: 20.00
Sep 8 2014 03:31pm
Quote (Mastersam93 @ Sep 8 2014 10:02am)

You're highlighting a nonexistent argument and trying to refute it.

I am not talking about calling a person black, I am talking about calling them African American, when whites are merely called American.

This is as if everything that is standard/regular is white and everything that is alien/different is non-white or of a specific race.

This post was edited by PixileDust on Sep 8 2014 03:32pm
Gold: 14.88
Sep 8 2014 04:32pm
Quote (PixileDust @ Sep 8 2014 01:31pm)
You're highlighting a nonexistent argument and trying to refute it.

I am not talking about calling a person black, I am talking about calling them African American, when whites are merely called American.

This is as if everything that is standard/regular is white and everything that is alien/different is non-white or of a specific race.

Because whites are still seen as the majority. Even though people of your political alignment try to end that everyday.

Africa for Africans, India for Indians, White countries for everyone. What a horrible creed.
Gold: 152.00
Sep 8 2014 04:33pm
Quote (PlasmaSnake101 @ Sep 8 2014 06:32pm)
Because whites are still seen as the majority. Even though people of your political alignment try to end that everyday.

Africa for Africans, India for Indians, White countries for everyone. What a horrible creed.

Europe for Europeans, America for American Indians.. oh wait
Go Back To Political & Religious Debate Topic List
1234Next
Add Reply New Topic New Poll