d2jsp
d2jsp Forums > Off-Topic > General Chat > Political & Religious Debate > Mitt Romney > Topping Iowa Polls
1237Next
Add Reply New Topic New Poll
Gold: 285.00
Aug 27 2014 01:25pm
http://politicalticker.blogs.cnn.com/2014/08/27/poll-suggests-romney-on-top-in-iowa-if-he-runs-again/?hpt=hp_t2

Poll suggests Romney on top in Iowa if he runs again

He keeps saying no to third run for the White House, but another new poll – this time in Iowa – indicates Mitt Romney would be the front runner for the Republican presidential nomination if he changes his mind.

A USA Today/Suffolk University survey of Iowa voters released Wednesday should add to the feeding frenzy over a possible 2016 presidential bid by the 2012 GOP nominee. While the former Massachusetts governor's repeatedly said he's not running again, the attention such speculation captures is a sign of the wide open nature right now of the upcoming Republican nomination race.

According to the new poll, if Romney was added to the list of potential 2016 GOP White House contenders, 35% of Iowa Republicans say he'd be their first choice in the Iowa caucuses, which kick off the presidential primary and caucus calendar.

Former Arkansas Gov. Mike Huckabee, who won the 2008 Iowa Republican caucuses and is considering another bid in 2016, is a distant second, at 9%. New Jersey Gov. Chris Christie and former Sen. Rick Santorum of Pennsylvania, who narrowly won the 2012 caucuses, are each at 6%. Sen. Rand Paul of Kentucky and Texas Gov. Rick Perry are each at 5%, with the remaining potential candidates tested were all in the lower single digits.

Take Romney out of the equation, and the poll indicates Huckabee – at 13% is on top of the crowded list of potential candidates. He's followed by Christie at 11%, Perry at 9% Paul at 7%, Santorum and Rep. Paul Ryan of Wisconsin, the 2012 GOP vice presidential nominee, each at 6% and Sen. Marco Rubio of Florida at 5%. The remaining potential candidates tested were all in the lower single digits.

The poll's 2016 GOP nomination results not only reflect the wide open race among the Republicans but are most likely also a reflection of name recognition.

"Think about it – we're still closer to the last presidential election than the next one. So until some of these other potential candidates have more time to really begin campaigning in earnest, I think Romney will continue to be top of mind for a lot of average voters," longtime South Carolina GOP consultant Joel Sawyer, senior VP of the Republican digital firm Push Digital, recently told CNN.

Romney keeps saying no

The poll's release comes one day after Romney said in a radio interview that "someone else stands a better chance of winning than I do."

"Had that not been the case," Romney told radio host Hugh Hewitt, "then I would be running."

You know what, if this man ran for POTUS again I think I would vote for him. He has an impeccable personal character, he seems to really have vision, he has a keen eye for business, he was right on foreign policy even though pundits laughed at him for comments about Russia, he isn't too radically socially conservative and isn't likely to subvert the Constitution for ideology, and if he runs again (he keeps saying no) than he is probably the most tenacious man in the United States.

I voted for Obama while pinching my nose, I could have easily done the same for Romney. I've been a fan of his for many years, as strange as that may sound to my friends who know me here, but he does seem like he has the potential to be a Great Man in History. I believe he would govern from a platform of compassionate conservatism with brains.
Gold: 25.00
Aug 27 2014 01:27pm
Did you ever watch that documentary on his campaign, which of course they waited til afterwards to show? It was actually pretty damn good, and showed that hes not as much of as robot as his campaign tried to make him out to be. If he would have just been himself he probably would have aced the election.
Aug 27 2014 01:32pm
Quote (Mangix @ Aug 27 2014 02:27pm)
Did you ever watch that documentary on his campaign, which of course they waited til afterwards to show? It was actually pretty damn good, and showed that hes not as much of as robot as his campaign tried to make him out to be. If he would have just been himself he probably would have aced the election.

The Republican party didn't help him very much either. As a moderate, sane person, he was forced to make some pretty dirty looking statements on race, immigration, and class warfare, due to primary forces.

The GOP threw away so many elections in 2014 running poor candidates enthusiastically, all while their best candidate was battered and rendered ultimately weaker.

He would have pushed back against the establishment though. Somebody like Chris Christie would push back also, but he doesn't have the vision or moral character to do it for the right reasons.
Aug 27 2014 01:33pm
Quote (Skinned @ Aug 27 2014 02:32pm)
The Republican party didn't help him very much either.  As a moderate, sane person, he was forced to make some pretty dirty looking statements on race, immigration, and class warfare, due to primary forces.

The GOP threw away so many elections in 2014 running poor candidates enthusiastically, all while their best candidate was battered and rendered ultimately weaker.

He would have pushed back against the establishment though.  Somebody like Chris Christie would push back also, but he doesn't have the vision or moral character to do it for the right reasons.

Yeah, hence been himself ;)
You should really go give it a watch, pretty sure I watched it on Netflix and its just called "Mitt"
Gold: 5,016.77
Aug 27 2014 01:35pm
Gold: 283,130.50
Aug 27 2014 01:42pm
Obama >

Aug 27 2014 01:44pm
Quote (2sexy4u @ Aug 27 2014 02:42pm)
Obama >

Obama had his chance to go down as one of the greatest presidents in history, and he shit on that chance by continuously wasting time playing politics.
Gold: 283,130.50
Aug 27 2014 01:46pm
Quote (Mangix @ Aug 27 2014 03:44pm)
Obama had his chance to go down as one of the greatest presidents in history, and he shit on that chance by continuously wasting time playing politics.

time to change i agree, but still > than this guy

Aug 27 2014 01:46pm
Quote (Mangix @ Aug 27 2014 02:44pm)

Fucking aye.

And there is nothing worse than wasting talent.
Gold: 152.00
Aug 27 2014 01:49pm
I like him. I'd vote for him. Not over Hillary though.
Go Back To Political & Religious Debate Topic List
1237Next
Add Reply New Topic New Poll