d2jsp
d2jsp Forums > Other Games > MMORPG > Guild Wars 1 & 2 > Looking To Buy Gw2 > Iso Opinions
Add Reply New Trade New Service New Price Check New Topic New Poll
Gold: 150.00
Aug 22 2014 03:15am
The last major investment of time I made into a MMO was with World of Warcraft for a couple years on a private server, then went to retail for the tail end of Cata and then about 6 months of Mists. After I stopped playing WoW I migrated to f2p mmo games and got sucked into Neverwinter while it was still in Beta. Needless to say, I don't like how Neverwinter turned out and I haven't really found long-term mmo game in which I can invest my time.

I really enjoy the progression of mmo games, collecting, prof farming and the quest/pvp grind. My friend told me he had bought GW2 earlier before but never played it beyond like the first day.

So, to come to my question here, is it worth buying GW2 for a long-term MMO player? If anyone can give more info than a simple yes or no to explain why you feel either way it would be appreciated. GW2 has a sale going through Sunday(?) for like 50% off and I told my friend I would get it if I found enough reasons to buy it.

Thanks in advance to anyone who gives me the information I seek.
Gold: 8.00
Aug 22 2014 04:26am
I bought gw 2 around when it first came out.

As a long gw 1 player I couldn't tell you how hyped I was about gw 2 coming out, but sadly I couldn't play it for more than a few days as I was just totally burned out with mmo's at the time.

Last week I re installed the game and I am kicking myself for not just getting on with it when it came out.

The game is incredible imo. The graphics are great, the game feels really good to play and move around in and I am having a lot of fun leveling up right now and making sure each zone is fully complete and explored before I move on.

There will be other people who can give you a better idea of how the game is end game wise as i am only in the mid 30's but I thought id chime in with my experience in case you can relate to it in any way :)
Gold: 3,005.00
Aug 22 2014 11:30am
Quote (Fire_Deviant @ Aug 22 2014 09:15am)
The last major investment of time I made into a MMO was with World of Warcraft for a couple years on a private server, then went to retail for the tail end of Cata and then about 6 months of Mists. After I stopped playing WoW I migrated to f2p mmo games and got sucked into Neverwinter while it was still in Beta. Needless to say, I don't like how Neverwinter turned out and I haven't really found long-term mmo game in which I can invest my time.

I really enjoy the progression of mmo games, collecting, prof farming and the quest/pvp grind. My friend told me he had bought GW2 earlier before but never played it beyond like the first day.

So, to come to my question here, is it worth buying GW2 for a long-term MMO player? If anyone can give more info than a simple yes or no to explain why you feel either way it would be appreciated. GW2 has a sale going through Sunday(?) for like 50% off and I told my friend I would get it if I found enough reasons to buy it.

Thanks in advance to anyone who gives me the information I seek.

Woah, the nerd is strong in master.

Anyways.. I haven't been able to invest any serious time into GW2, and as it's my only mmo game I can't really compare.
What I can say though is this: The game in itself isn't very challenging. The story mode is well thought out, but ultimately, truly boring and predictable.
The WvW system is VERY systematically built up and self explanatory, and it's really fun IF you find a good server to play on. The problem with WvW is that some servers have a full on dead community.
I'm currently on RoF where the player base is just tired of everything. When I joined it about a year and a half ago it was steaming with life, when I came back around a month ago, it was almost impossible to even find a guild to play in.

The PvP experience is exciting. I've seen a video or two of WoW PvP, and I have to say, GW2's creation just looks so much more enjoyable.

Other than that you have the collecting of resources, badges etc, in other words: Shit you need to buy the shit you want.

You can have 2 professions (unless you buy yourself another profession slot vs real money, which imo isn't worth it at all), which are fun at first, and truly helpful to get the gear you need whilst leveling your character.
Ultimately though, the gear you can get through the blacksmith, jeweler etc, will be sub-par to what you can simply buy vs in game gold and doing dungeons/instances.

The end-game weapons are very. very. very. VERY, hard to come by. You will be grinding your ASS off to get them. At the igg action house, they cost a fortune. So it's either buckle up and farm untill you're purple (ironically enough the same color as legendaries
), or buckle up and farm gold untill you're purple.

TL:DR

Getting an average char is easy. Playing WvW, doing dungeons and playing PvP will be your "end game". Getting end game gear is incredibly time consuming, and purely based on luck if you don't farm gold and buy it off the AH.

GW2 seems to me the best MMO out there, especially if you want to focus your time in game on playing with a shitload of other people, instead of grinding for gear with 7-8 other players. The game is for the most part though, purely estetic, in other words. The gear difference really doesn't matter once you get exotics (just below leg's), knowing your character on the other hand, truly does, in PvP and WvW (World vs World - Servers are matched up against each other).

P.S
If you play PvP, your character is automatically boosted to max level for the duration of your PvP time, and everyone has the exact same gear. You can make changes for your own personaly preference, but following the meta PvP build for a specific character is more often than not the best idea.
Also, a more enjoyable fun to level your characters after playing through the story mode once. At least so I've heard :)

Also, I should probably mention that my time on GW2 is around 100-150hours, so there are probably much more "qualified" sources out there :)

This post was edited by Elgy_boy on Aug 22 2014 11:31am
Aug 23 2014 04:20am
Alright thank you for the opinions, I think I got what I was looking for in the question I asked.
Gold: 11.87
Aug 23 2014 10:21am
i hAVE an extra account for some fg if interested. its digital deluxe edition
Aug 23 2014 10:32am
Quote (Punkz @ Aug 23 2014 11:21am)
i hAVE an extra account for some fg if interested. its digital deluxe edition

All in.
Gold: 304.00
Aug 23 2014 04:34pm
25 dollars for a mmo of this caliber is very much worth it.
join a medium populated server, find a active guild
no monthly subscription

I would say to start, gw2 is more complex than most mmos
so that might be a reason why people quit early on
Gold: 2,685.00
Aug 23 2014 04:39pm
Quote (saber_x3 @ Aug 23 2014 06:34pm)
25 dollars for a mmo of this caliber is very much worth it.
join a medium populated server, find a active guild
no monthly subscription

I would say to start, gw2 is more complex than most mmos
so that might be a reason why people quit early on

I'll argue that GW2 is not complex at all. There isn't much about equipping a strong weapon that gives you auto-skills, then speccing yourself out to make those 5 skills + a few more from a VERY limited pool better.
Gold: 0.00
Aug 23 2014 05:20pm
play path of exile... ive purchased 200g in game for gw2 for my fresh lvl 20s (2 x boosts) and have yet to play the game longer than 10 minutes, i cant get into it, im an avid player of wow and somewhat d3 but im waiting for warlords expansion and seasons on d3 until then ill crawl through the ladder system of path of exile beyond ! and also play some shooting games (counter strike still) and play league of angles
Gold: 0.00
Aug 23 2014 05:22pm
Quote (Fire_Deviant @ Aug 23 2014 05:20am)
Alright thank you for the opinions, I think I got what I was looking for in the question I asked.

i didnt see this one i posted my response, best of luck ;)
Go Back To Guild Wars 1 & 2 Topic List
Add Reply New Trade New Service New Price Check New Topic New Poll