d2jsp
d2jsp Forums > Off-Topic > General Chat > Political & Religious Debate >
Poll > Who Will Be First To Decimate Isis?
Prev12345Next
Add Reply New Topic New Poll
  Guests cannot view or vote in polls. Please register or login.
Gold: 12,730.67
Aug 7 2014 07:31pm
Quote (cambovenzi @ Aug 7 2014 05:29pm)
I think it will be a combination. Obama is apparently doing his lob some bombs in and see what happens technique that he wanted to do with Assad. Kurds and other Iraqis will fight for their lives. Assad loyalists will do their thing in Syria.
Other people who are pissy around there like Turkey/Iran will do some stuff. etc.

I have not heard you say one bad thing about ISIS. At what point would you get involved and what would that involvement be?
Gold: 7,525.35
Aug 7 2014 07:56pm
Quote (thundercock @ Aug 7 2014 09:31pm)
I have not heard you say one bad thing about ISIS. At what point would you get involved and what would that involvement be?

I dont like ISIS.
I would get directly involved if/when they're a national security threat.
I'd talk it over with my advisers and see whats going on and what we should do or not do.

I don't think pouring in US resources to prop up a close ally of Iran and acting as Iran's or Syria's air force is necessarily wise.

Obama's already fucked up pretty badly arming their allies (islamic rebels) who have often defected or joined ISIS, and putting loads of other arms in the area that have fallen into their hands.
Bush certainly messed up when he invaded Iraq, even if some people won't admit it. (*cough*)
Now theres a bigger mess and all of the options suck pretty badly.

I certainly wouldn't re-invade Iraq with boots on the ground at this point. An overwhelming majority of US citizens believe the same the last time I checked the polls.
I think theres some merit in working with the Iraqi government in a limited capacity to prevent ISIS from becoming a serious threat, although i'm extremely unenthusiastic about it.
I would immediately stop sending aid and arms to ISIS' allies in Syria.
Aug 7 2014 07:58pm
Quote (cambovenzi @ Aug 7 2014 05:56pm)
I dont like ISIS.
I would get directly involved if/when they're a national security threat.
I'd talk it over with my advisers and see whats going on and what we should do or not do.

I don't think pouring in US resources to prop up a close ally of Iran and acting as Iran's or Syria's air force is necessarily wise.

Obama's already fucked up pretty badly arming their allies (islamic rebels) who have often defected or joined ISIS, and putting loads of other arms in the area that have fallen into their hands.
Bush certainly messed up when he invaded Iraq, even if some people won't admit it. (*cough*)
Now theres a bigger mess and all of the options suck pretty badly.

I certainly wouldn't re-invade Iraq with boots on the ground at this point. An overwhelming majority of US citizens believe the same the last time I checked the polls.
I think theres some merit in working with the Iraqi government in a limited capacity to prevent ISIS from becoming a serious threat, although i'm extremely unenthusiastic about it.
I would immediately stop sending aid and arms to ISIS' allies in Syria.

I don't think they'll ever be a national security threat to be honest. You don't think we should do something about the people getting massacred by them though (humanitarian crisis)?
Gold: 8,933.00
Aug 7 2014 08:10pm
Quote (thundercock @ Aug 7 2014 08:58pm)
I don't think they'll ever be a national security threat to be honest. You don't think we should do something about the people getting massacred by them though (humanitarian crisis)?

I think the UN should do something about it.
Aug 7 2014 08:11pm
Quote (Santara @ Aug 7 2014 06:10pm)
I think the UN should do something about it.

So that means the US will have to do something about it. Good to know.
Gold: 7,525.35
Aug 7 2014 08:12pm
Quote (thundercock @ Aug 7 2014 09:58pm)

I dont think its our government's job to unilaterally risk American lives to stop people from fighting around the world.
"humanitarian bombing" is pretty gruesome in and of itself.
Aug 7 2014 08:13pm
Quote (cambovenzi @ Aug 7 2014 06:12pm)
I dont think its our government's job to unilaterally risk American lives to stop people from fighting around the world.
"humanitarian bombing" is pretty gruesome in and of itself.

You said bomb, not me. I'm not opposed to a coalition, but I do think America should lead the charge.
Gold: 8,933.00
Aug 7 2014 08:20pm
Quote (thundercock @ Aug 7 2014 09:11pm)
So that means the US will have to do something about it. Good to know.

No, I think the UN needs to stand on its own 2 feet. If it's that important to the body, they can sacrifice their own blood and treasure.
Gold: 0.84
Aug 7 2014 08:20pm
Quote (thundercock @ 7 Aug 2014 22:43)
You said bomb, not me. I'm not opposed to a coalition, but I do think America should lead the charge.

Maybe NATO will do something about it eventually, but this seems like the most likely option. I wouldn't want to see boots on the ground though, nobody wants to see another war like Iraq.
Aug 7 2014 08:23pm
Quote (Santara @ Aug 7 2014 06:20pm)
No, I think the UN needs to stand on its own 2 feet. If it's that important to the body, they can sacrifice their own blood and treasure.

The US is the enforcement mechanism of the UN. That's what happens when you have the most powerful military in the world.

Quote (PesChye @ Aug 7 2014 06:20pm)
Maybe NATO will do something about it eventually, but this seems like the most likely option. I wouldn't want to see boots on the ground though, nobody wants to see another war like Iraq.

I think you need boots on the ground to help push ISIS out of the cities.
Go Back To Political & Religious Debate Topic List
Prev12345Next
Add Reply New Topic New Poll