d2jsp
d2jsp Forums > Off-Topic > General Chat > Culinary Arts > My Culinary Journey > Life Of A Restaurant Chef
Prev117181920Next
Add Reply New Topic New Poll
Gold: 19,085.00
Trader: Trusted
Dec 14 2016 12:45pm
It's been a minute since I've posted anything new. I've had a lot going on. Menu changes, staff hiring, ect. We recently did a tasting menu for a party, so I finally had a chance to snap some pictures of some new stuff. I hope you guys like it. I tried something new, and I was really excited about how it turned out.

Simple salad.
Shaved honeycrisp apple/ grapes/ compressed strawberries/ red cabbage/ greens/ shaved cranberries/ red cabbage "gel".
The gel was interesting. I essentially boiled a head of red cabbage, strained, and reduced the remaining liquid by 1/2. After letting it cool, I slowly added in roughly 1/2 tsp of baking powder, which rendered the cobalt blue color you see here in the sauce. The color changed due to the baking powder changing the Ph levels of the cabbage. Too much powder and you end up with a green color. I added some agar to thicken. The salad was dressed very simply with orange.

Classic steak tartare.
Diced ribeye/ minced shallot/ grey salt/ shaved honeycrisp apple/ fresh egg yolk harvested that morning.

As always. I truly appreciate you guys taking a look, and commenting. Whether the comments are good or bad, I appreciate both views regarding my work. I'm still learning. I'm slowly getting better, and it's been cool to share this part of my life with you guys.
Gold: 10,732.00
Dec 15 2016 12:35pm
You have an uncanny ability to make me hungry even after I just ate. Love the plates, keep it up :lol:
Gold: 0.00
Dec 28 2016 06:25am

Looks very rich: D
Gold: 0.00
Dec 29 2016 10:38am
Quote (Creations @ Dec 14 2016 11:45am)
It's been a minute since I've posted anything new. I've had a lot going on. Menu changes, staff hiring, ect. We recently did a tasting menu for a party, so I finally had a chance to snap some pictures of some new stuff. I hope you guys like it. I tried something new, and I was really excited about how it turned out.

Simple salad.
Shaved honeycrisp apple/ grapes/ compressed strawberries/ red cabbage/ greens/ shaved cranberries/ red cabbage "gel".
The gel was interesting. I essentially boiled a head of red cabbage, strained, and reduced the remaining liquid by 1/2. After letting it cool, I slowly added in roughly 1/2 tsp of baking powder, which rendered the cobalt blue color you see here in the sauce. The color changed due to the baking powder changing the Ph levels of the cabbage. Too much powder and you end up with a green color. I added some agar to thicken. The salad was dressed very simply with orange.

http://i.imgur.com/qaykwEP.jpg

Classic steak tartare.
Diced ribeye/ minced shallot/ grey salt/ shaved honeycrisp apple/ fresh egg yolk harvested that morning.

http://i.imgur.com/PKwHkMK.jpg

As always. I truly appreciate you guys taking a look, and commenting. Whether the comments are good or bad, I appreciate both views regarding my work. I'm still learning. I'm slowly getting better, and it's been cool to share this part of my life with you guys.

That blue is just striking man. That's incredible. Awesome stuff.
Gold: 56,247.00
Jan 2 2017 09:15pm
Quote (Creations @ Sep 30 2016 09:47am)
I haven't posted much in a while. My executive chef has been on leave because he and his wife had their first child, which is really cool. So for the most part, I've been stuck in the office taking care of paperwork and such in his absence, which has kept me out of the kitchen far more than I have wanted. But I am proud to say that I have taken my test, and I am now officially a certified Sous Chef. I've been working towards this for a few years and I am so happy to have achieved this. Anyway, we started working on a new tasting menu that we plan to start running next week, and that menu will be changing weekly, sometimes daily, depending on what we get from our providers. Here's some stuff that I came up with. The staff reaction was great, and I feel like I was able to represent the produce respectfully. This week we got some really nice radishes in, as well as red beets, local honey crisp apples, and ribeye from a local farm.

The first dish is a simple vegetable offering of radishes/ local baby tomatoes/ quick pickled shaved radish/ apples/ last of the season watermelon/ and reduced tart cherry juice. It was bright, and refreshing.

http://i.imgur.com/eLAEKzO.jpg

The next course was all about beets. If you treat beets properly, they have an incredible earthy flavor, and soft texture. I simply braised these beets in orange juice and some thyme for about 4 hours. They still kept their vibrant red color which was what we wanted.
This dish is a salad of beets/ pickled radishes/ apples/ beet gel/ tomatoes/ and I used the pulp left over from when I juiced the beets. The pulp had a surprisingly nice texture and a mild flavor.

http://i.imgur.com/1Y2z4f5.png

The final dish we focused on the ribeye we received. I wanted to go with a more straight forward, meat and potatoes approach. We had some red cabbage which pairs nicely with the beef.
This dish is seared ribeye/ potato and leek puree/ charred tomatoes/ and a red cabbage emulsion.

http://i.imgur.com/VvZmmkM.png

There will be 6-7 more dishes added to this tasting menu, but I feel like we got off to a good start. Things will be adjusted, but I'm happy with where it is headed.

Thanks so much for looking.

Are you using filters while taking/uploading these? The colors look so disoriented
Gold: 337.21
Feb 8 2017 01:57am
im guessing he uses an iphone with chrome filter.
on the other hand
you cant just simply make good fotographies of food with your phone and no filter.
Maybe you can - but that ability is beyond me.
Gold: 397.00
Warn: 60%
Feb 8 2017 11:39am
Holy moly.. that looks very nice.
Gold: 127,000.00
Feb 12 2017 06:31am
Quote (Creations @ 25 Jul 2014 16:20)
Here's another appetizer I made tonight. It was a last minute thing we added to tonight's menu, but it was really good. I got to use Kafir limes which was a really cool ingredient to work with. They are really tart, and they have a really nice flavor, which worked well in this application. Pardon my plating, I was in a hurry.

I did a simple shrimp ceviche with a charred red pepper purée. The red pepper purée had a sweet/bitter taste which really cut through the tartness of the lime and balanced it all out.

http://i.imgur.com/41KQs9o.jpg

Here's how I made it.

Shrimp ceviche:
Peeled and deveined shrimp
Minced Serano peppers
Minced red onion
Minced garlic
Kafir limes (regular limes will work obviously)
Chopped cilantro
Kosher salt

Combine all of this in a bowl without salting it, and let it rest for about 10 minutes, or until you notice your shrimp turn a pinkish/white so you know it's cooked enough. Season it with salt (you really don't need pepper on this) and stir just before serving. You can dress it with more of the marinade if you'd like.

Charred red pepper purée:
Red bell peppers
Garlic cloves
Olive oil
Kosher salt

Char the red pepper on open flame and let it rest. Cover it with plastic wrap or a plastic bag while it rests, so the skin is easier to remove. Remove the skin, stem, and seeds and blend it with your garlic, salt, pepper and a little olive oil until you have a smooth purée. You can do it without any oil, but I chose to add a little olive oil to make it a little richer to cut the tartness.

Hope you enjoy!

can i ask why use kosher salt on a shrimp?

Gold: 511.00
Feb 18 2017 05:59pm
:hail:
Gold: 54.10
Feb 20 2017 10:14pm
Sum top notch stuff here
Go Back To Culinary Arts Topic List
Prev117181920Next
Add Reply New Topic New Poll