d2jsp
d2jsp Forums > Off-Topic > General Chat > Political & Religious Debate > Supreme Court Allows Scientologists To Only Cover
Prev12345Next
Add Reply New Topic New Poll
Gold: 24,402.34
Jun 30 2014 05:29pm
I don't really understand why people are making as big of a deal out of this as they are. I personally think the world would be better as a whole if more birth control were used, but the idea that birth control is necessary and things like lasik aren't seems pretty ridiculous.
Gold: 285.00
Jun 30 2014 05:31pm
Quote (Cellmat @ Jun 30 2014 06:29pm)
I don't really understand why people are making as big of a deal out of this as they are.  I personally think the world would be better as a whole if more birth control were used, but the idea that birth control is necessary and things like lasik aren't seems pretty ridiculous.

It is based on complete misinformation too. The morning after pill and the little plastic clip contraceptive thing don't cause abortions, regardless of what anybody believes. Preventing pregnancy isn't abortion. Also, this isn't about religious freedom, it is about conservative sexual morality.
Gold: 2,407.00
Jun 30 2014 05:51pm
Quote (Cellmat @ Jun 30 2014 06:29pm)
I don't really understand why people are making as big of a deal out of this as they are.  I personally think the world would be better as a whole if more birth control were used, but the idea that birth control is necessary and things like lasik aren't seems pretty ridiculous.

Birth control costs less than children. Lasik costs more than glasses.
Gold: 633.87
Jun 30 2014 06:09pm
Quote (inkanddagger @ Jun 30 2014 04:22pm)
...Dianetics as part of their group insurance policy. Also, Jehovas Witness executives can eliminate blood transfusions from their employee's health plan, regardless of the employees own personal beliefs or needs. And of course if you have a Jewish boss he can make sure your insurance won't cover any medicine which has suspected shellfish or porcine sources.

The religion of the corporate person supercedes that of the individual.

Somebody didn't read the majority opinion.
Gold: 633.87
Jun 30 2014 06:13pm
Quote (Skinned @ Jun 30 2014 06:27pm)
The religion of corporate owners are more important than the religious freedom of the employees.  Really pretty normal for the SCOTUS to put corporations above people.

This just makes the argument for public healthcare stronger.  If corporations weren't health care brokers too we wouldn't have this mess.

To the contrary, its an argument against public health-care.

The Court correctly noted that the government could just subsidize this themselves, and that the government doing it was far less intrusive than forcing private citizens to violate their religious beliefs. If the government had no power in health-care the Court might have decided differently.

This was a common-sense ruling that adheres pretty strictly and narrowly to how the Court normally does its business.
Gold: 8,933.00
Jun 30 2014 07:08pm
Quote (cambovenzi @ Jun 30 2014 04:52pm)
If a single child dies anywhere its Ink's fault because he didn't pay to prevent it.
Is that a fair assessment?

No. He pays for 5 abortions a month.
Gold: 1,819.09
Jun 30 2014 08:49pm
Freedom of religion is an archaic right that makes our modern society less ideal. Removing freedom of religion (and instead protecting religious rights under more general rights) would allow us to curb unwanted and destabilizing religious "freedoms". It would also allow us to label cults as such, giving the government the authority to raid, confiscate and arrest members/property of those who belong to cult such as the Jehovah's Witnesses and Scientology.
Gold: 12,730.67
Jun 30 2014 09:31pm
Quote (Caedus @ Jun 30 2014 06:49pm)
Freedom of religion is an archaic right that makes our modern society less ideal. Removing freedom of religion (and instead protecting religious rights under more general rights) would allow us to curb unwanted and destabilizing religious "freedoms". It would also allow us to label cults as such, giving the government the authority to raid, confiscate and arrest members/property of those who belong to cult such as the Jehovah's Witnesses and Scientology.

I wouldn't like that very much.

Quote (Skinned @ Jun 30 2014 03:27pm)
The religion of corporate owners are more important than the religious freedom of the employees.  Really pretty normal for the SCOTUS to put corporations above people.

This just makes the argument for public healthcare stronger.  If corporations weren't health care brokers too we wouldn't have this mess.

I agree with this.
Quote (Skinned @ Jun 30 2014 03:31pm)
It is based on complete misinformation too.  The morning after pill and the little plastic clip contraceptive thing don't cause abortions, regardless of what anybody believes.  Preventing pregnancy isn't abortion.  Also, this isn't about religious freedom, it is about conservative sexual morality.

Actually, it's very possible for the morning after pill to cause a fertilized egg to not attach itself to the uterus (according to WebMD). That is definitely an abortion.

Also, it IS about religious freedom since Hobby Lobby has no qualms providing hormonal IUDs, standard birth control, etc. Who's uninformed now?
Gold: 2,617.52
Jun 30 2014 10:17pm
A fairly good explanation of the situation

http://www.theatlantic.com/national/archive/2014/06/hobby-lobby-isnt-waging-a-war-on-women/373717/

Its not like women can't buy birth control any more, or just choose not to be involved with the company

Quote (thundercock @ Jun 30 2014 11:31pm)
Also, it IS about religious freedom since Hobby Lobby has no qualms providing hormonal IUDs, standard birth control, etc. Who's uninformed now?

I heard about this, that actually makes the whole thing a bit more suspicious for them... I'm sure liberals will extol them with claims of hypocrisy.
Gold: 24,402.34
Jun 30 2014 10:17pm
Quote (Skinned @ 30 Jun 2014 18:31)
It is based on complete misinformation too.  The morning after pill and the little plastic clip contraceptive thing don't cause abortions, regardless of what anybody believes.  Preventing pregnancy isn't abortion.  Also, this isn't about religious freedom, it is about conservative sexual morality.

I'm pretty sure it's just about saving money. Silly religious arguments aside, I don't really think it should be the governments job to decide which elective treatments are offered by private insurance.

Quote (Skinned @ 30 Jun 2014 18:27)

The argument is dead as long as our political system works the way it does. Insurance companies spent over $150m on lobbying last year, you think our congress is going to give that up to appease some peasants?
Go Back To Political & Religious Debate Topic List
Prev12345Next
Add Reply New Topic New Poll