d2jsp
d2jsp Forums > Off-Topic > General Chat > Political & Religious Debate > Ask A Christian > No Spam, Flaming, Etc. Etc.
12357Next
Add Reply New Topic New Poll
Gold: 410.00
Jun 25 2014 03:41am
Hey I would like to open a thread that I can answer, to the best of my ability, questions about the Christian faith from a biblical standpoint. I will admit that my interpretation of certain verses may be flawed, but I will do my best to incorporate verses used within the context it is in, as well as comparing it to what the Bible says as a whole. I apologize in advance if I am unable to fully answer a question.

What you can expect from me?
-A timely response with verses to support beliefs and background if needed of why I support the verses
-No Anger, flaming,or name calling
-a Friendly discussion/debate
-non cyclical debtate( If I see we are going in cycles I will more then likely respond to it with an "I don't know" and move on.)

What I expect from you?
-NO SPAM...please. I know these sorts of things are full of people wanting to "share" their opinion from both sides, but hold off from shoving things in this forum.
-No name calling
-Read through the thread to see if I have answered the question
-only send 1 pm when you submit a question, not after every reply

Well after those ground rules, I would love to atleast try to answer some questions.

1 more thing: This is not an attempt to convince people that Christianity is the only way to God or that you should be a Christian or else....this is merely for those who are curious about what the Bible says about certain topics.
Gold: 655.00
Jun 25 2014 03:46am
Quote (wofire @ Jun 25 2014 05:41am)
Hey I would like to open a thread that I can answer, to the best of my ability, questions about the Christian faith from a biblical standpoint. I will admit that my interpretation of certain verses may be flawed, but I will do my best to incorporate verses used within the context it is in, as well as comparing it to what the Bible says as a whole. I apologize in advance if I am unable to fully answer a question.

What you can expect from me?
-A timely response with verses to support beliefs and background if needed of why I support the verses
-No Anger, flaming,or name calling
-a Friendly discussion/debate
-non cyclical debtate( If I see we are going in cycles I will more then likely respond to it with an "I don't know" and move on.)

What I expect from you?
-NO SPAM...please. I know these sorts of things are full of people wanting to "share" their opinion from both sides, but hold off from shoving things in this forum.
-No name calling
-Read through the thread to see if I have answered the question
-only send 1 pm when you submit a question, not after every reply

Well after those ground rules, I would love to atleast try to answer some questions.

1 more thing: This is not an attempt to convince people that Christianity is the only way to God or that you should be a Christian or else....this is merely for those who are curious about what the Bible says about certain topics.

what is the best Christian faith in as far as their adherence to the actual teachings of Jesus Christ? strict pacafisim, loving your enemy, giving up your riches, devoting your life to helping the needy, ect

This post was edited by Ylem122 on Jun 25 2014 03:48am
Gold: 100.00
Jun 25 2014 03:46am
- I am very curious about one thing and this isn't spam, but an actual question about the deep recesses of your mind.

- Do you understand why people such as myself do not believe?

- Do you think deep down you could be wrong?

Would you step out of your shoes ever to try to see from other perspectives to open your mind? Or are you pretty dead set on what you believe.

Asking this in the most respectful way possible.
Jun 25 2014 03:58am
Quote (Ylem122 @ Jun 25 2014 04:46am)
what is the best Christian faith in as far as their adherence to the actual teachings of Jesus Christ? strict pacafisim, loving your enemy, giving up your riches, devoting your life to helping the needy, ect

Confused by your question? I feel like to live biblically means to actually follow Jesus's teachings. Since Christianity means Jesus Christ. To not do so doesn't threaten a Christian to hell, but it does cause a separation from God. This separation can be seen by the lack of the Gifts of the Spirit.

if you are asking which denomination? I am sure each denomination has churches which follow that better. If you ask which church, I would respond that each church has people groups that follow it better then others. So to boil down to it...if you feel convicted to follow it strictly, then do it. Don't attempt to explain not doing it because you are affiliated to a certain denomination. When heaven comes, there will be no denominations; it will be Christ and his bride.

This post was edited by wofire on Jun 25 2014 04:13am
Jun 25 2014 04:11am
Quote (Puls3 @ Jun 25 2014 04:46am)
- I am very curious about one thing and this isn't spam, but an actual question about the deep recesses of your mind.

- Do you understand why people such as myself do not believe?

- Do you think deep down you could be wrong?

Would you step out of your shoes ever to try to see from other perspectives to open your mind? Or are you pretty dead set on what you believe.

Asking this in the most respectful way possible.

Hey I don't consider this spam at all honestly. They are great question.

1)Some Christians believe that "election" is a way God picks and chooses who accepts him, while others believe all people have the possibility in believing. I believe the more you share with people the more people you will find with that are elected. I understand how radically crazy the Christian belief sounds and honestly most "Christians" don't live by what they believe. I am in no one saying that I am perfect, but if I was an atheist and saw how modern day christian went about their lives, I would be like "screw that". I think it is very common in Christianity because of the "saved by faith" thing. Many take that as a free pass and completely ignore the fact that to be a Christian means to follow Christ.

2)Basically you are asking have I ever questioned my faith....Yes. Very much so. I use to lay awake at night when I was in highschool pondering the concept of this...like this life being it. And I have heard the phrase "All religions are just meant to comfort people on the road to nothingness.". I won't deny that I enjoy the comfort of knowing their is another life after, but sitting down and thinking about it is crazy. I have looked through other perspectives and where I have the problem with most religions is they say in one way or another "Humans can be good enough to overcomes their wrong enough that they should be rewarded with heaven." I disagree to that. So I believe there can be 2 choices that I found logical that can't be proven: 1) there is no god. Therefore this life's meaning is in and of itself. If so in a million years, our life is merely to exist and disappear without no oneever really knowing. Depressing but a possibility. 2nd: There is a perfect moral standard God who must be just. This can mean 2 things since we can't technically prove God is loving...1)we all dissapear...see explanation 1 if that is true. 2)r we all deserve hell because none of us can be good enough to be compared to God's standard. So we deserve hell or our lives don't matter. This train of thought led me to the next: if Jesus is who he says he is then if I accept that then I don't deserve heaven, but I can still go in. Or their is no hope and we all go to hell(similar to Greek mythology).

Sorry that is so long. But that is my train of thought when I attempted to look at things from a different perspective. I am not saying Christianity can be scientifically proven as the end all thing, but I have enough personal experience that shows me that is the choice I pick.
Gold: 100.00
Jun 25 2014 04:20am
Quote (wofire @ Jun 25 2014 04:11am)
Hey I don't consider this spam at all honestly. They are great question.

1)Some Christians believe that "election" is a way God picks and chooses who accepts him, while others believe all people have the possibility in believing. I believe the more you share with people the more people you will find with that are elected. I understand how radically crazy the Christian belief sounds and honestly most "Christians" don't live by what they believe. I am in no one saying that I am perfect, but if I was an atheist and saw how modern day christian went about their lives, I would be like "screw that". I think it is very common in Christianity because of the "saved by faith" thing. Many take that as a free pass and completely ignore the fact that to be a Christian means to follow Christ.

2)Basically you are asking have I ever questioned my faith....Yes. Very much so. I use to lay awake at night when I was in highschool pondering the concept of this...like this life being it. And I have heard the phrase "All religions are just meant to comfort people on the road to nothingness.". I won't deny that I enjoy the comfort of knowing their is another life after, but sitting down and thinking about it is crazy. I have looked through other perspectives and where I have the problem with most religions is they say in one way or another "Humans can be good enough to overcomes their wrong enough that they should be rewarded with heaven." I disagree to that. So I believe there can be 2 choices that I found logical that can't be proven: 1) there is no god. Therefore this life's meaning is in and of itself. If so in a million years, our life is merely to exist and disappear without no oneever really knowing. Depressing but a possibility. 2nd: There is a perfect moral standard God who must be just. This can mean 2 things since we can't technically prove God is loving...1)we all dissapear...see explanation 1 if that is true. 2)r we all deserve hell because none of us can be good enough to be compared to God's standard. So we deserve hell or our lives don't matter. This train of thought led me to the next: if Jesus is who he says he is then if I accept that then I don't deserve heaven, but I can still go in. Or their is no hope and we all go to hell(similar to Greek mythology).

Sorry that is so long. But that is my train of thought when I attempted to look at things from a different perspective. I am not saying Christianity can be scientifically proven as the end all thing, but I have enough personal experience that shows me that is the choice I pick.

Great reply to be honest. I respect your opinion and reasoning. You should seek out Buddhist philosophy. Don't worry it's not a religion on the contrary and it's just philosophy to better understand yourself and the universe from within. You seem to have a good mindset to understand it.

This is quick gist of what it is and combined with religious practice can help you identify what you are looking for and allow you to be more focused.

http://www.buddhanet.net/e-learning/5minbud.htm
Jun 25 2014 04:27am
Quote (wofire @ Jun 25 2014 05:58am)
Confused by your question? I feel like to live biblically means to actually follow Jesus's teachings. Since Christianity means Jesus Christ. To not do so doesn't threaten a Christian to hell, but it does cause a separation from God. This separation can be seen by the lack of the Gifts of the Spirit.

if you are asking which denomination? I am sure each denomination has churches which follow that better. If you ask which church, I would respond that each church has people groups that follow it better then others. So to boil down to it...if you feel convicted to follow it strictly, then do it. Don't attempt to explain not doing it because you are affiliated to a certain denomination. When heaven comes, there will be no denominations; it will be Christ and his bride.

strict pacafisim, loving your enemy, giving up your riches, devoting your life to helping the needy, ect

what denomination actually follows these tenants of Christianity? do any?

Like neitszche said, there was only one Christian and he died on the cross, while this is clearly an overstatement on how difficult it is to actually follow the path of jesus, are there any modern denominations that actually abide by the teachings of Christ?

This post was edited by Ylem122 on Jun 25 2014 04:32am
Jun 25 2014 04:29am
Quote (Puls3 @ Jun 25 2014 05:20am)
Great reply to be honest. I respect your opinion and reasoning. You should seek out Buddhist philosophy. Don't worry it's not a religion on the contrary and it's just philosophy to better understand yourself and the universe from within. You seem to have a good mindset to understand it.

This is quick gist of what it is and combined with religious practice can help you identify what you are looking for and allow you to be more focused.

http://www.buddhanet.net/e-learning/5minbud.htm

I know quite a bit about Buddhism. I know why many pacifist and honestly atheists/agnostics like it more then Christianiy/Islam etc. To be a Christian is to believe that this world is going to end and that some people are going to heaven and the rest are going to hell. Some Christians claim all go to heaven or that some can be washed and get to heaven after, but I want to refute these by saying that the Bible says multiple times the road to heaven is narrow. This means, in a Christian mindset, that as we look around...anyone who doesn't believe what we do is going to spend an eternity in hell. So let me try to give you perspective....What if during the concentration camps of the Jews, there was a man who stood on the road on the way to the showers. He said "Stop right there...those Germans are going to lead you to your death. Wait I have a plan, come follow me down this path, crawl under this barbwire and you will be free of them!" The man or woman replies.."I don't believe you, that is ridiculous...I have seen many of my family go down this path and I have never seen 1 of them dead. " Is the man trying to provide a way out hateful, spiteful, hypocritical, douch bag because he is trying to persuade others to follow? Wouldn't it be even more hateful if he didn't? That is why Christian are so much more obnoxious and urgent about their beliefs then Buddhism.
Jun 25 2014 04:31am
Quote (Ylem122 @ Jun 25 2014 05:27am)
strict pacafisim, loving your enemy, giving up your riches, devoting your life to helping the needy, ect

what denomination actually follows these tenants of Christianity?

perfectly? I would venture none as a whole. I am sure you have a better chance of finding some that do overseas in 3rd world countries. Furthermore my church does its best to teach and follow through with these doctrinal beliefs. Personally I plan to live no higher then medium income of whatever country i am staying at and intend to give away anymore then that. I do believe in pacifism and I have spent hours forgiving and trying to love my enemies.
Jun 25 2014 04:39am
Quote (wofire @ Jun 25 2014 06:31am)
perfectly? I would venture none as a whole.

you cant be perfect all the time, but more so in their efforts in trying to follow perfectly. like "give onto ceasar what is ceasars and give unto god what is gods" or what ever the exact passage is, clearly the vast majority of America Christians are not distancing themselves from the state due to the inheriant nature that doing what is best for society and what god requests are often at odds with each other. this is not a matter of not perfectly following it, but more a matter of not following it at all. the amish on the other hand barely ever partake in voting for elections unless they are local and they have a specific impact on their society, this would be more a matter of not perfectly following it, while still following it.

Id venture to say none as a whole regardless of perfectly or not.

This post was edited by Ylem122 on Jun 25 2014 04:42am
Go Back To Political & Religious Debate Topic List
12357Next
Add Reply New Topic New Poll