d2jsp
d2jsp Forums > Off-Topic > Entertainment Room > Anime >
Poll > Crunchyroll > Is It Worth It?
Prev1678910Next
Add Reply New Topic New Poll
  Guests cannot view or vote in polls. Please register or login.
Gold: 405.00
Jul 1 2014 10:09pm
Long post but my view and opinion

tl;dr Personally I think it is very worth it.

I love being able to pick any device at my house and pretty much be able to watch any anime in their catalog without many issues. I can't blame them for not having every anime series ($$money$$) since competition is a good thing and I also don't blame them for sometimes releasing an anime a day or 2 after the episodes have aired in Japan. Not every fansub group can do that especially for series that are not as popular.

One sad part is sometimes they lose the rights to stream a series and they have to remove it. They currently don't have the first 13 episodes of Attack on Titan which I am guessing is because of the bluray release that came out recently. The episodes are on Netflix and Hulu so I don't see why Crunchyroll also doesn't have them. But that is something we have to deal with in these type of streaming websites the same thing goes for Netflix.

Another bad thing is they get the tv releases so if you go and watch something lout for a while like Madoka Magica or Fate Zero right now you won't be getting the bluray version but those 2 are bad examples since they are also available on Netflix (not sure if bluray version but they are in dual audio so I am guessing they are) so I would probably watch them there. the point I was trying to make is some series change certain stuff on the bluray release so unless you are watching a series that has recently been released then you could be watching the bluray version instead.

And more recently they have started getting into the manga business with their digital license releases (doesn't come with the standard anime membership tho). The crunchyroll manga app on both iOS and Android are just amazing (I don't really read manga on a browser) and I love being guaranteed a chapter (at least for now...who knows what licensing issues will come up later) and not having to worry about the scanlators falling behind or other issues like a series being dropped. I mean sure some few series come out ~5 days earlier than the official release but those are just the very popular series that are scanned and translated before they are even released in Japan. There are so many series that don't get official releases or fan translations and I hope Crunchyroll picks up some other good series.

---

So I do think it is worth it but it definitely has downsides and it isn't for everyone especially if you live in a country where there is only a limited selection of series available. But for me it is more than worth it even if I don't watch every series on Crunchyroll and sometimes download them from fansubs (and I can transfer the episodes to my phone or stream them from my computer to a mobile device if I wanted to). Oh and before I forget I really dislike Crunchyroll's browser player since it isn't as good as the iOS app and freezes often for me even with a good connection and sometimes I have to lower it to 480p and even then I sometimes have problems.

This post was edited by LyZeR on Jul 1 2014 10:18pm
Gold: 55.00
Jul 3 2014 10:31am
Yah!
Gold: 20.00
Jul 3 2014 12:00pm
Here's Crunchyroll quality btw if you were curious:

Well worth the $7 to not have it look like the low quality free streams...

"ever use gogoanime, animeplus, or any other anime sites? free or paid, doesnt matter"... it clearly does!
Gold: 828.35
Jul 3 2014 05:25pm
Quote (Eoj @ Jul 4 2014 02:00am)
Here's Crunchyroll quality btw if you were curious:

http://i.imgur.com/44OyvF0.jpg

Well worth the $7 to not have it look like the low quality free streams...

"ever use gogoanime, animeplus, or any other anime sites? free or paid, doesnt matter"... it clearly does!

took 2mins and 15secs to download it for phree
people should learn to use this (pm's about questions are welcome)

CR not needed. :angel:

This post was edited by Mokuton on Jul 3 2014 05:26pm
Gold: 137.01
Jul 3 2014 08:18pm
Quote (Mokuton @ Jul 3 2014 04:25pm)
took 2mins and 15secs to download it for phree
people should learn to use this (pm's about questions are welcome)
http://mokuton.com/files/xdcc/download3.gif
CR not needed.  :angel:

http://mokuton.com/images/StreamVS%20Download.jpg

Underwater Subs, known for either copying subs or being horrible at it.

Yuck, I'll pass.

Also not sure how people even stomach the Animeplus quality.
Gold: 575.56
Jul 3 2014 08:42pm
Quote (Touhou @ Jun 29 2014 04:45pm)
I'm curious on your sources, or if it's just personal opinion with no evidence.

http://horriblesubs.info/about-us/
that should settle that
unless you just wanted to bait me into getting a warn for linking to a p2p site, which you can definately do, just pm fate he hates me enough to ban me for anything i'm sure.

Quote (Tricon @ Jun 30 2014 03:38am)
by fansubs i mean downloadable release, is it really that hard to figure out what I mean?
almost all is relative to the season, also read; almost all popular, which would also be relative

your point was that there is downloadable content from other fansubbing groups faster than crunchyroll.
can you show me an example of that?

of crouse I know crunchyroll doesn't do all shows, but that's out of the point anyway

since i've already decided to cross the line with posting outside links here ya go
horriblesubs is a middleman that just repacks shit and occasionally if your looking for the fastest release go to nyaa.eu the site is programmed to pick up uploads from all the major subbers. so they get them instantly rather than waiting for repacks
or you can hop on myanimelist.net scroll down to where it shows the fansubbing groups working on a show and grab them directly from the group, maybe even show some support (unheard of right?)

anyway horriblesubs call themseelvs that because they arent a real fansubbing group. they dont care about quality, fans, or even the shows they release. they are just trolling corporations by ripping their translations and releasing them for free in HD because its easy. they're true pirates, not fans

This post was edited by Ideophobe on Jul 3 2014 08:44pm
Gold: 137.01
Jul 3 2014 09:26pm
Quote (Ideophobe @ Jul 3 2014 07:42pm)
http://horriblesubs.info/about-us/
that should settle that
unless you just wanted to bait me into getting a warn for linking to a p2p site, which you can definately do, just pm fate he hates me enough to ban me for anything i'm sure.

since i've already decided to cross the line with posting outside links here ya go
horriblesubs is a middleman that just repacks shit and occasionally  if your looking for the fastest release go to nyaa.eu the site is programmed to pick up uploads from all the major subbers. so they get them instantly rather than waiting for repacks
or you can hop on myanimelist.net scroll down to where it shows the fansubbing groups working on a show and grab them directly from the group, maybe even show some support (unheard of right?)

anyway horriblesubs call themseelvs that because they arent a real fansubbing group.  they dont care about quality, fans, or even the shows they release.  they are just trolling corporations by ripping their translations and releasing them for free in HD because its easy.  they're true pirates, not fans

I'm referring to fansubbers releasing faster than CR.
Jul 4 2014 05:22am
Yes?
Gold: 75.35
Jul 4 2014 07:44am
Quote (Ideophobe @ 4 Jul 2014 04:42)
horriblesubs is a middleman that just repacks shit and occasionally  if your looking for the fastest release go to nyaa.eu the site is programmed to pick up uploads from all the major subbers. so they get them instantly rather than waiting for repacks

anyway horriblesubs call themseelvs that because they arent a real fansubbing group.  they dont care about quality, fans, or even the shows they release.  they are just trolling corporations by ripping their translations and releasing them for free in HD because its easy.  they're true pirates, not fans

Do you even know what you're talking about anymore?
I know more than enough about where to get my downloads from.

What I want you to tell me is which fansubbing groups are faster than CR, when it comes to shows that CR are actually doing.

e/ I don't even remember why I am discussing this with you, I don't even use CR myself.

This post was edited by Tricon on Jul 4 2014 07:47am
Jul 4 2014 09:02am
Up
Go Back To Anime Topic List
Prev1678910Next
Add Reply New Topic New Poll