d2jsp
d2jsp Forums > Off-Topic > Entertainment Room > Books & Literature > Anyone Read Comicbooks?
1239Next
Add Reply New Topic New Poll
Gold: 590.00
Jun 12 2014 07:20pm
I'm a fan myself, and wanted to see what you guys were reading =p
Gold: 3,804.50
Jun 12 2014 08:38pm
if manga counts, then attack on titan, code geass, death note, sword art online.

as for marvel/dc, i've read a few spiderman/captain america / batman, but imo manga > dc/marvel
Jun 12 2014 09:49pm
Quote (carteblanche @ Jun 12 2014 10:38pm)
if manga counts, then attack on titan, code geass, death note, sword art online.

as for marvel/dc, i've read a few spiderman/captain america / batman, but imo manga > dc/marvel

Mhmmm fair enough, but there wasn't a place to talk about comics as opposed to manga/anime =/
Gold: 337.00
Jun 13 2014 09:16am
Quote (Hanmin @ Jun 13 2014 05:49am)
Mhmmm fair enough, but there wasn't a place to talk about comics as opposed to manga/anime =/

Think this would be the correct forum if you wanna talk about comics tbh ;o

And I've read a few Spawn and Witchblade and Spiderman which I like ;> But not really reading much else. Calvin and Hobbes if you count that?^ Lovely series :D
Gold: 178.00
Jun 13 2014 04:39pm
Quote (Hanmin @ Jun 12 2014 10:49pm)

What is on your pull list right now? I just cut mine waaay back from DC/Marvel Stuff. Getting heavy into more indy titles and stuff from Image. Also catching up on a lot of old TPBs. I only started reading like less than a year ago LOL. But, I've done quite a bit of catching up and my collection is looking very nice.

Saga, Nowhere Men, The Wake, Jupiter's Legacy, East of West, Sex Criminals, American Vampire, Batman (Scott Snyder has been amazing!), and Hawkeye (My only Marvel title ATM).

Just finished all of Forever Evil, I enjoyed it.

Reading:

Batman: Knightfall TPB (The new one, that is like 700 pages lol)
Manafest Destiny
Swamp Thing Vol. 1 (Alan Moore) heard good things about this one

*Thinking about picking up Black Science TPB (Heard some good stuff)
Jun 13 2014 04:54pm
Quote (The_Doves @ Jun 13 2014 06:39pm)
What is on your pull list right now? I just cut mine waaay back from DC/Marvel Stuff. Getting heavy into more indy titles and stuff from Image. Also catching up on a lot of old TPBs. I only started reading like less than a year ago LOL. But, I've done quite a bit of catching up and my collection is looking very nice.

Saga, Nowhere Men, The Wake, Jupiter's Legacy, East of West, Sex Criminals, American Vampire, Batman (Scott Snyder has been amazing!), and Hawkeye (My only Marvel title ATM).

Just finished all of Forever Evil, I enjoyed it.

Reading:

Batman: Knightfall TPB (The new one, that is like 700 pages lol)
Manafest Destiny
Swamp Thing Vol. 1 (Alan Moore) heard good things about this one

*Thinking about picking up Black Science TPB (Heard some good stuff)

I tried Sex Criminals, mannnnnn I think it's so overhyped. I only read the first issue, but maybe I should read a few more before passing judgement.
I got some reprints of #1's of Saga, Lazarus, and Revival, and I thought they were pretty cool. Might catch up on them later.
Also, I'm a Alan Moore fan, but the Swamp Thing as a character never appealed to me. Is it actually any good?

Right now, my pull list includes Amazing Spiderman and Uncanny/All-New X-men (I'm a huge Bendis fan).

I've just finished Hickman's Fantastic Four(570+) and Future Foundation run. It's pretty legit.

Some cool scans from the series:

This post was edited by Hanmin on Jun 13 2014 05:07pm
Jun 13 2014 06:03pm
Quote (Hanmin @ Jun 13 2014 05:54pm)
I tried Sex Criminals, mannnnnn I think it's so overhyped. I only read the first issue, but maybe I should read a few more before passing judgement.
I got some reprints of #1's of  Saga, Lazarus, and Revival, and I thought they were pretty cool. Might catch up on them later.
Also, I'm a Alan Moore fan, but the Swamp Thing as a character never appealed to me. Is it actually any good?

Right now, my pull list includes Amazing Spiderman and Uncanny/All-New X-men (I'm a huge Bendis fan).

I've just finished Hickman's Fantastic Four(570+) and Future Foundation run. It's pretty legit.

Some cool scans from the series:
http://i.imgur.com/szJqHrh.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/bmu0tCV.jpg

Dude, the Bendis run with Uncanny X-Force (the grey costumes), is absolutely insane. I own that series. It's very popular among fans and am happy to have picked the issues up before they shot up in price, once more and more people realized how insane that series is. Saga is the best series out, possibly ever imo. It's gonna be up there with Watchmen, Preacher (both of which I own :D ), and Y: The Last Man. Oh, btw reading Y, for the first time. Just finished the 3rd trade of 10, now I understand why it's considered the best series of all time. It's pretty insane. Makes sense that Saga is written by the same writer of 'Y'. Brian K. Vaughn.

Swamp Thing is good if you read the right story. The one Scott Snyder did with the new 52 (Issues 1-18 + Animal Man's Tie-In's to the same story "Rotworld" is absolutely phenomenal. Very happy to have them in my collection!)

As far as X-Men goes, Battle of the Atom was awesome. Loved that. But, overall not a huge Marvel fan. Simply because there never seems to be any consequences with their story arcs. No one ever really dies, and the good guys always save the day. Just a little too campy for me. And it seems they appeal to a younger audience. Where as DC has grown to be very adult themed, and with real consequences that always keeps you guessing. Obviously that type of storytelling is magnified with indie books and anything by Image. Hence why I like their stuff so much more. Very adult themed.

So, Sex Criminals. I was in the same position you were. I wasn't a huge fan of the first issue. But, I bought like 5 in advanced, and read them all in one sitting. It definitely takes some getting used to, but once you do... Oh man, what a series. It's really funny if you like that type of humor. And it's actually an interesting story if you aren't uncomfortable about the idea of that much graduates sexual content. I find it refreshing in a world full of mundane storytelling. I would recommend picking up the trade and giving it another shot. It may not be for you. Honestly, you either "get it" and it's the best thing ever. Or, you don't and are gonna hate it.

Edit -

As far as Marvel goes, I am semi-excited/interested in this - http://www.previewsworld.com/Home/1/1/71/977?articleID=149762

Though not a huge Spider-Man fan after Superior got really bad. A series that had potential but got all Marvel campy/cheesy and I lost interest.

This post was edited by The_Doves on Jun 13 2014 06:06pm
Jun 13 2014 07:49pm
Quote (The_Doves @ Jun 13 2014 08:03pm)
Dude, the Bendis run with Uncanny X-Force (the grey costumes), is absolutely insane. I own that series. It's very popular among fans and am happy to have picked the issues up before they shot up in price, once more and more people realized how insane that series is. Saga is the best series out, possibly ever imo. It's gonna be up there with Watchmen, Preacher (both of which I own  :D ), and Y: The Last Man. Oh, btw reading Y, for the first time. Just finished the 3rd trade of 10, now I understand why it's considered the best series of all time. It's pretty insane. Makes sense that Saga is written by the same writer of 'Y'. Brian K. Vaughn.

Swamp Thing is good if you read the right story. The one Scott Snyder did with the new 52 (Issues 1-18 + Animal Man's Tie-In's to the same story "Rotworld" is absolutely phenomenal. Very happy to have them in my collection!)

As far as X-Men goes, Battle of the Atom was awesome. Loved that. But, overall not a huge Marvel fan. Simply because there never seems to be any consequences with their story arcs. No one ever really dies, and the good guys always save the day. Just a little too campy for me. And it seems they appeal to a younger audience. Where as DC has grown to be very adult themed, and with real consequences that always keeps you guessing. Obviously that type of storytelling is magnified with indie books and anything by Image. Hence why I like their stuff so much more. Very adult themed.

So, Sex Criminals. I was in the same position you were. I wasn't a huge fan of the first issue. But, I bought like 5 in advanced, and read them all in one sitting. It definitely takes some getting used to, but once you do... Oh man, what a series. It's really funny if you like that type of humor. And it's actually an interesting story if you aren't uncomfortable about the idea of that much graduates sexual content. I find it refreshing in a world full of mundane storytelling. I would recommend picking up the trade and giving it another shot. It may not be for you. Honestly, you either "get it" and it's the best thing ever. Or, you don't and are gonna hate it.

Edit -

As far as Marvel goes, I am semi-excited/interested in this - http://www.previewsworld.com/Home/1/1/71/977?articleID=149762

Though not a huge Spider-Man fan after Superior got really bad. A series that had potential but got all Marvel campy/cheesy and I lost interest.

Awww man, I'm a huge Marvel fan. I'm not a fan of their "universal events" for the most part. They've had some good ones, but they've had some really shitty ones too (I fucking hated Avengers V X-Men/Siege). The current event that's going on right now is Original Sin, and so far, it seems pretty promising.

Spiderman is my shit though. I got into comics because of it, and it's one of the few comics I buy regularly. Superior was kinda of mehhh, but now that it's over, I'm excited again.

In regards to Sex Criminals, the first issue didn't really hook me right away, but then again, the whole issue was pretty much a childhood recap with the exception of the first few pages and last. I think the trade is like $6 bucks right now, so I'll probably give the series a second chance.
Jun 14 2014 06:20pm
Original Sin seems to be getting "meh" reviews and it doesn't look to being written by anybody I'm interested in. I am however semi-interested in "AXIS" which comes out later this year, by Remender.

http://www.comicbookresources.com/?page=article&id=53455
Jun 14 2014 09:25pm
Quote (The_Doves @ Jun 14 2014 08:20pm)
Original Sin seems to be getting "meh" reviews and it doesn't look to being written by anybody I'm interested in. I am however semi-interested in "AXIS" which comes out later this year, by Remender.

http://www.comicbookresources.com/?page=article&id=53455

I thought issue 0,1,&2 of original sin were horrible, but 3 was pretty shocking.

I heard about AXIS too, but I didn't know Remender was writing it. His Uncanny X-Force was the shit, one of my favorite X-series.

Also, did you hear about Khal Drogo as Aquaman?
Go Back To Books & Literature Topic List
1239Next
Add Reply New Topic New Poll