d2jsp
d2jsp Forums > d2jsp > General Help > Stamped Number On A Gameboy Game
Add Reply New Topic
Gold: 7,830.00
May 30 2014 03:46pm
I have a question concering gameboy games.

I have 3 copies of pokemon yellow and they each have different numbers stamped on them.
13, 11 and 22.

I've heard of numbers on NES cartridges being batch numbers or production time periods or something of that nature.
Is it the same thing with gameboy games?
otherwise what do they mean or signifiy?
[also have 2 copis of pokemon silver with numbers 00 and 34]
Gold: 6.30
May 30 2014 05:32pm
Code
The way to identify cartridge based games (except the DS) is to look for an imprint. Where they are located will depend on the game system.

NES: Located on the back of the cartridge, on the Caution label. (Note: Ignore the REV-A text on there, that does NOT apply to the game.)
SNES: Located on the back of the cartridge, on the IMPORTANT label.
N64: Located on the back of the cartridge, on the Caution label.
GB/GBC: Located on the front of the label.
GBA: Located on the front of the label.
NDS: Text describing the version info is on the back.

The imprint will be 2 numbers, at minimum. If that's all there is, then it's a v1.0.
However, if there's a letter after it, then it'll be an alternate version. If there's an A, then it's a v1.1. B is a v1.2. C is v1.3, etc.

hope this helps :)

it basically tells you what version the game is

This post was edited by bodierox on May 30 2014 05:32pm
Gold: 0.00
Trader: Trusted
May 30 2014 05:40pm
Quote (bodierox @ May 30 2014 07:32pm)

To add to this, it also identifies that the game is authentic.
May 30 2014 06:08pm
Quote (bodierox @ May 30 2014 07:32pm)
Code
The way to identify cartridge based games (except the DS) is to look for an imprint.  Where they are located will depend on the game system.

NES: Located on the back of the cartridge, on the Caution label.  (Note: Ignore the REV-A text on there, that does NOT apply to the game.)
SNES: Located on the back of the cartridge, on the IMPORTANT label.
N64: Located on the back of the cartridge, on the Caution label.
GB/GBC: Located on the front of the label.
GBA: Located on the front of the label.
NDS: Text describing the version info is on the back.

The imprint will be 2 numbers, at minimum.  If that's all there is, then it's a v1.0.
However, if there's a letter after it, then it'll be an alternate version.  If there's an A, then it's a v1.1.  B is a v1.2.  C is v1.3, etc.

So, the number itself is irrelevant? One wouldn't mean a more recent production than the other?

Quote (Floozy @ May 30 2014 07:40pm)
To add to this, it also identifies that the game is authentic.

had no doubts about that, i got these like when they originally released when i was 9 haha.

[for refrence, i did not even have the internet yet! :P, time warner cable and "high speed internet" was starting to become a mainstream thing around that time, so i think the counterfeitting market was small because they had less of an outlet]

This post was edited by Rapture on May 30 2014 06:10pm
Trader: Trusted
May 30 2014 06:21pm
Quote (Rapture @ May 30 2014 08:08pm)
So, the number itself is irrelevant? One wouldn't mean a more recent production than the other?

had no doubts about that, i got these like when they originally released when i was 9 haha.

[for refrence, i did not even have the internet yet! :P, time warner cable and "high speed internet" was starting to become a mainstream thing around that time, so i think the counterfeitting market was small because they had less of an outlet]

The number value itself is irrelevant, yes.

Like I said there's really no point other than to indicate that the game is authentic and not a copy.

People still found ways to get around it haha. I had plenty of fake Pokemon cards and such :lol:
May 30 2014 07:53pm
Quote (Floozy @ May 30 2014 08:21pm)
The number value itself is irrelevant, yes.

Like I said there's really no point other than to indicate that the game is authentic and not a copy.

People still found ways to get around it haha. I had plenty of fake Pokemon cards and such :lol:

Well thanks very much for clearing that up, :)
Jun 3 2014 06:47pm
The two digit number which is stamped on indicates the factory in which is was produced Each factory has it's own number (and 90% of factories SFC-era onward are Nintendo owned, not licensed to a very close partner). If you are looking for a game/software revision look for the letter following the number (On FC they appear in the opposite corner to the number). But a better method would be to check out the number etched on the ROM IC following the game ID. [Number will be at 0 for V1.0, 1 for v1.1, etc]. Checking the ROM is more reliable as some people swap backs (problem when the number is on the rear). Cases is possible to be swapped, really rare, but it happens time to time for many reasons.

This post was edited by RetrochogGames on Jun 3 2014 06:54pm
Go Back To General Help Topic List
Add Reply New Topic