d2jsp
d2jsp Forums > d2jsp > General Help > Site Suggestions >
Poll > Impersonation/fraud > Tool To Report Impersonation/fraud
Prev15678Next
Add Reply New Topic New Poll
  Guests cannot view or vote in polls. Please register or login.
Gold: 68.00
Trader: Trusted
Jul 18 2014 09:22am
Quote (Jolene @ Jul 17 2014 11:23pm)
Various ways, a few would suggest examples like Vlncenzo. instead of Vincenzo, key character such as that, Add a image to the avatar stating your a Moderator or something of that sort, claiming you namechanged from another user, owning/joining a guild like "Mods" or "Moderators" or "Mediator/Mediators", also with or without the correct characters in the spelling. Aswell as in-profile Status stating such.

This suggestion is also not limited to the amount of cases that tend to content of other users, for example I use your avatar for my own, or profile picture for my own. OR use someones personal pictures from an outside source as my own.

There are many cases, examples, and ways to impersonate and fraud against other users/people.

The user name example, is not against the rules, so that doesn't apply. If someone wants to have Vlncenzo, it's their right.

The avatar example, is also not against the rules. As long as it doesn't break any of the violations already set, it's fine. And if it does - simple PM to M++ handles it.

The sig/photo ripping example already has a procedure in place to handle this.

Thank you for taking the time to explain it to me. I just don't see a real need for this. Especially since we already have procedures in place to handle any of the above. Goodluck!

This post was edited by Vincenzo on Jul 18 2014 09:24am
Gold: 0.00
Jul 18 2014 11:31am
Quote (Vincenzo @ Jul 18 2014 11:22am)
The user name example, is not against the rules, so that doesn't apply. If someone wants to have Vlncenzo, it's their right.

The avatar example, is also not against the rules. As long as it doesn't break any of the violations already set, it's fine. And if it does - simple PM to M++ handles it.

The sig/photo ripping example already has a procedure in place to handle this.

Thank you for taking the time to explain it to me. I just don't see a real need for this. Especially since we already have procedures in place to handle any of the above. Goodluck!

Maybe you should read those procedures a little closer hun. You'll notice there are rules against the Avatar violation, no there are no rules against using similar names. If you read correctly you would notice I never mentioned it was against the rules, I was replying to your bashing post of curiosity VS. Examples. And that's what I delivered.

I'll explain it in very fine detail for you!

User A, makes a username Vlncenzo,
User B, is unaware! (not that it matters)
User A, claims he is user B, whether it be in-game or else where.
User C, believes user A
User A, easily tricks user C into sending FG vs what would be a trusted item coming from user B
Except, User A is not user B, its User A using a name similar to user B's for scamming!
User C, gets an unperm item or a false promise/service
User A, Profits.
User B, gets SA made against them
User C is in total loss either way.
--------------------------------------------------
If you think it took me anymore than 60 seconds to write the first example that popped into my head you'd be wrong :D

The "Procedure" for sig/photo ripping, is that other users report it to a M++.... Here's the catch. Those users typically don't report it, and considering just about anyone can be promoted to M++ (this has been proven), most reports go untouched, because somebody (most people) just want that little TT and a special group, to feel special!

Feel free to prove me wrong, but to do that your intentions in GH would have to be pure. And the help you give not simply copy and pasted off someone else's guide. Since let's be honest, how helpful is a person if their common knowledge is only as good as a database can tell them.

Point being, it'd be awful useful to have somewhere to report everything mentioned, rather than having to find an active M++ who actually handles these things, and having to explain to them specifically whats going on. And than on a typical occasion get a short or rude reply, then only sometimes is it enforced. :)

Thanks for your reply anyways, and thanks for editing in your thanks at the end of your post so it doesn't seem as bashful as it was intended :P

Have a great day Vincenzo!, and to anyone else who read all that :)
Gold: 68.00
Jul 18 2014 12:39pm
Whew, you are rather defensive when challenged! I like that. Good discussion.

Quote (Jolene @ Jul 18 2014 01:31pm)
If you read correctly you would notice I never mentioned it was against the rules

I did read correctly. I never said that you mentioned it wasn't against the rules.

I'll explain it in very fine detail for you!

User A, makes a username Vlncenzo,
User B, is unaware! (not that it matters)
User A, claims he is user B, whether it be in-game or else where.
User C, believes user A
User A, easily tricks user C into sending FG vs what would be a trusted item coming from user B
Except, User A is not user B, its User A using a name similar to user B's for scamming!
User C, gets an unperm item or a false promise/service
User A, Profits.
User B, gets SA made against them
User C is in total loss either way.
--------------------------------------------------

In the chance this did happen, Meridyth/Skip would clearly see user B was not at fault. No harm against the user. User A would be locked/tagged.User A would have the opportunity to pay back user C.

Wouldn't work as a scam prevention tool either, because even attempting to scam is not a scam.

The "Procedure" for sig/photo ripping, is that other users report it to a M++.... Here's the catch. Those users typically don't report it, and considering just about anyone can be promoted to M++ (this has been proven), most reports go untouched, because somebody (most people) just want that little TT and a special group, to feel special!

The procedure for ripped sigs is here. I've used it myself in the past and it's very efficient. Won't entertain the bashing of M++.

Feel free to prove me wrong, but to do that your intentions in GH would have to be pure. And the help you give not simply copy and pasted off someone else's guide. Since let's be honest, how helpful is a person if their common knowledge is only as good as a database can tell them.

Thanks for your reply anyways, and thanks for editing in your thanks at the end of your post so it doesn't seem as bashful as it was intended :P

Have a great day Vincenzo!, and to anyone else who read all that :)

Not sure what you are referring to in regards to my help in the GH section. I don't truly understand what you believe my intentions are. As far as I know, the help I give is received and appreciated. Everyone has their own areas of expertise. Some may be in PC related, some may be in financials. At the end of the day, if you can provide solid assistance that gets the job done, it's a win win. I'm not a know it all, I'll be the 1st to admit it!

And lastly, my editing wasn't adding a "thanks" at the end. I was correcting grammar/wording throughout my post. You can ask a staff member to verify, since they can see edits.

Not everyone is out to bash you bud. Being challenged is a good thing! See you around the GH.

Best Regards,
Jul 18 2014 01:08pm
Quote (Vincenzo @ Jul 18 2014 02:39pm)
Whew, you are rather defensive when challenged! I like that. Good discussion.

I did read correctly. I never said that you mentioned it wasn't against the rules.

In the chance this did happen, Meridyth/Skip would clearly see user B was not at fault. No harm against the user. User A would be locked/tagged.User A would have the opportunity to pay back user C.

Wouldn't work as a scam prevention tool either, because even attempting to scam is not a scam.

The procedure for ripped sigs is here. I've used it myself in the past and it's very efficient. Won't entertain the bashing of M++.

Not sure what you are referring to in regards to my help in the GH section. I don't truly understand what you believe my intentions are. As far as I know, the help I give is received and appreciated. Everyone has their own areas of expertise. Some may be in PC related, some may be in financials. At the end of the day, if you can provide solid assistance that gets the job done, it's a win win. I'm not a know it all, I'll be the 1st to admit it!

And lastly, my editing wasn't adding a "thanks" at the end. I was correcting grammar/wording throughout my post. You can ask a staff member to verify, since they can see edits.

Not everyone is out to bash you bud. Being challenged is a good thing! See you around the GH.

Best Regards,

I defend myself when bashed against or picked at, not just challenged. And to me, not a good discussion, this in reality is nothing but spam.

You specified in a sentence that it is not against the rules, in reply to my post. Extenuating that I said it was.

User B is obviously not at fault User A would be locked/tagged yes, but who in the right mind who intentionally makes a username for scamming is going to repay anything? chances are that FG is transferred between several accounts times over by the time an accusation topic is even made. And contrary to that, there have been issues with names being purposely made similar for intent of purpose that was indeed dealt with BEFORE scamming was initiated.

The topic for reporting ripped sigs was made because there is no other form of submission.

And my referring to your help in regards in GH section isn't stating that it isn't helpful, anyone helping is help and that's what counts. But true help is someone who is able to do it on their own, not someone who can copy anyone elses help.

It would be pointless to contact a staff member over an editing check and secondly I've been PM'd several times told not to discuss their abilities. Bet you haven't got one of those PM's yet. It's not a privilege.

I agree not everyone is out to bash me, but of course. Plenty have, and continue to. And nothing can ever be done about it.

Lastly, thanks for the regards. I believe this topic has enough spam in it to be considered a violation and be closed even though its semi-on-topic. In which case I will remake my suggestion.

I'll take the liberty of reporting our posts for closure.

/e: Also take note, every single one of my replies regarding this "discussion" was reported by another user. Yours, was not.

Tell me that's not intentional bashing.

This post was edited by Jolene on Jul 18 2014 01:10pm
Gold: 2.00
Jul 18 2014 02:42pm
Quote (Greendale @ May 23 2014 09:32am)
Hello, i voted no cause i think ppl could abuse of that buttons in the profile pages

i agree with green on this

users would abuse this

i vote no
Senior Moderator
Gold: 50,105.69
Jul 18 2014 04:47pm
I believe you only have the best of intentions with this suggestion, however I don't believe it's necessary.

The reason being, there are already things implemented to protect the original user who is trying to be impersonated.
Also, it's impossible to impersonate someone on jsp as they have a unique name, user ID, and stats (posts, join date, guild [not always unique]).
Just as well, signatures and avatars which are bought, if worn by others for any reason (including impersonation) can be reported to the ripper accusation thread in the Graphics Forum.

In the end, it's a good hearted suggestion, but you're suggesting to "fix something which is not broken".
Jul 18 2014 05:00pm
Dumb suggestion.
It's against the rules to impersonate people.
If someone is falling for any impersonation then they haven't fully read the rules since everything has "TRADE SAFE! USE A MEDIATOR" written all over it.

It's also very hard to prove who the impersonator is because you're just assuming it's someone (how would you know who it is, plenty of scammers out there).
Jul 18 2014 05:07pm
Quote (DeeT @ Jul 18 2014 04:42pm)
i agree with green on this

users would abuse this

i vote no

Quote (Textbook @ Jul 18 2014 06:47pm)
I believe you only have the best of intentions with this suggestion, however I don't believe it's necessary.

The reason being, there are already things implemented to protect the original user who is trying to be impersonated.
Also, it's impossible to impersonate someone on jsp as they have a unique name, user ID, and stats (posts, join date, guild [not always unique]).
Just as well, signatures and avatars which are bought, if worn by others for any reason (including impersonation) can be reported to the ripper accusation thread in the Graphics Forum.

In the end, it's a good hearted suggestion, but you're suggesting to "fix something which is not broken".

Quote (straightedgerevenge @ Jul 18 2014 07:00pm)
Dumb suggestion.
It's against the rules to impersonate people.
If someone is falling for any impersonation then they haven't fully read the rules since everything has "TRADE SAFE! USE A MEDIATOR" written all over it.

It's also very hard to prove who the impersonator is because you're just assuming it's someone (how would you know who it is, plenty of scammers out there).

Thanks for your input guys! I will retire the suggestion if it hits 30 no's before yes
Gold: 12,538.42
Jul 18 2014 05:57pm
I voted yes because nothing in the s/a ever gets done by mods so maybe if its simplified they will be more inclined to do so
Jul 18 2014 06:24pm
Just gave you your 30th no. Time to retire the suggestion!
Go Back To Site Suggestions Topic List
Prev15678Next
Add Reply New Topic New Poll