d2jsp
d2jsp Forums > Off-Topic > Computers & IT > Computer Building > Upgrading For Two Monitors > Purchase In 2-3 Days
Prev1234Next
Add Reply New Topic New Poll
Gold: 38.00
Apr 16 2014 11:01am
yeah i got these cards summer last year and noticed it's not legal for a lot of them. i will wait, when should i start getting cards for a new deck? what blocks should i start with?
bye bye avacyn :cry: lol

yeah i wanna just go down there and find one or two guys to play with to really get a feel for the game. i mostly play with my gf, who follows my lead. and a friend i've played with a few times who isn't 100% on the rules. my next deck will probably just be following a deck guide or something. putting one together is kinda tough for me, cant invest enough time to really be a pro at all the cards and possibilities.

last summer i had bought the 2013 core set box, was like 25$ and some boosters and some off SCG. wont do that again lol to many spare cards that are now useless lol.

edit: im very fond of angels, will be trying to stick to that. i just like them, they are flying, strong, and have cool straight foward abilities.

This post was edited by Bankai on Apr 16 2014 11:04am
Gold: 20.00
Apr 16 2014 11:05am
Quote (Gangbang @ Apr 16 2014 10:49am)
I was not messing with you. I am nowhere near an everyday player or anything, but we used to try to get a game in each week...
There are around 100,000 cards at my disposal... but spending days going through them is mind numbing and I hate it!

That being said, the Rat deck guy is a good deck builder been playing a long time and is the owner of the 100k cards... His wife has the Angel deck (All white angels, flying etc) that has a couple rares that piss me off something fierce. One card is the angel of vengance or some shit and makes it so the game cant fuckin end!

So my problem is I can beat her, or him. Never both. If I build around his many many rats (black deck) I get wrecked by flying/angels. If I go after hers he has like 10thousand rats out before I can fuckin do anything

if you're looking for cheap, straightforward and effective, this $5 deck can probably make your friends dislike you pretty fast, no pun. http://tappedout.net/mtg-decks/5-infect/.

if you're looking for a little more nuanced, fair play, how about your own tribal? you could run gw tokens + glare of subdual or something like elves with the cloudstone curio infinite mana combo

Quote (Bankai @ Apr 16 2014 11:01am)
yeah i got these cards summer last year and noticed it's not legal for a lot of them. i will wait, when should i start getting cards for a new deck? what blocks should i start with?
bye bye avacyn :cry: lol

yeah i wanna just go down there and find one or two guys to play with to really get a feel for the game. i mostly play with my gf, who follows my lead. and a friend i've played with a few times who isn't 100% on the rules. my next deck will probably just be following a deck guide or something. putting one together is kinda tough for me, cant invest enough time to really be a pro at all the cards and possibilities.

last summer i had bought the 2013 core set box, was like 25$ and some boosters and some off SCG. wont do that again lol to many spare cards that are now useless lol.

edit: im very fond of angels, will be trying to stick to that. i just like them, they are flying, strong, and have cool straight foward abilities.

i think the next set prereleases on the 26th and releases on the 2nd? so that's not too bad

these are the sets currently in standard: http://www.wizards.com/magic/magazine/article.aspx?x=judge/resources/sfrstandard

3 sets form a block, and the standard format consists of the most recent 2 blocks. so when the set after next comes out, return to rav, gatecrash, and dragon's maze will rotate out basically along with 2014

angels aren't popular right now, too much removal. it feels bad to cast a 7 mana angel of serenity, just to have it instant speed doom bladed or ultimate priced or hero's downfalled, all of which are currently in standard. that said, there are some pretty strong ones; you could probably brew gw midrange or something with elvish mystic, sylvan caryatid, advent of the wurm, archangel of thune, elspeth, angel of serenity, and the new ajani. could be pretty cool

This post was edited by Giveuptheghost on Apr 16 2014 11:15am
Apr 16 2014 11:13am
to be honest man every time i look into stuff about MTG i just get over whelmed lmao. im starting to wonder if this game is really for me.

gf has cheap mill deck, if i had a more expensive mill deck that could be fun :P i get overwhelmed but if i just close my eyes and play and not over think, maybe i'll be okay lol.

This post was edited by Bankai on Apr 16 2014 11:17am
Apr 16 2014 11:17am
Quote (Bankai @ Apr 16 2014 11:13am)
to be honest man every time i look into stuff about MTG i just get over whelmed lmao. im starting to wonder if this game is really for me.

start with standard and work your way from there. it's the most popular, and the cheapest if you exclude kitchen or pauper play. additionally, standard just requires you to know the most recent two blocks, instead of every card and every major deck developed over the past 20 years of the largest card game in history. just remember that everyone starts somewhere, no big. also, the other people playing are just that: people like you. if they can do it, you can too

Quote (Bankai @ Apr 16 2014 11:13am)
i get overwhelmed but if i just close my eyes and play and not over think, maybe i'll be okay lol.

famous last words lol

This post was edited by Giveuptheghost on Apr 16 2014 11:19am
Apr 16 2014 11:23am
how do i upload deck for you to aee on TO?
Apr 16 2014 12:57pm
with worldfire, does that wipe lands too?

1x crusader of odric
1x boros charm
1x avacyn, angel of hope
2x growing ranks
2x pacifism
2x touch of the eternal
2x precinct captain
2x glorious charge
3x skyknight legionaire
2x mizzium mortars
2x pillar of flame
2x firemaine avenger
2x angel of skirmasher
2x rift bolts
2x guardian of the gateless
1x oblivion ring
1x brimstone volley
1x searing spear
1x worldfire
1x urgent exorcism
1x defy death
1x intangible virtue
1x lingering souls
1x massive raid
1x angels mercy
1x midknight haunting
1x flamea of the firebrand

sideboard i have big creatures, 3x more angels mercy, stuff like that.
Apr 16 2014 02:22pm
yes, worldfire exiles lands as well.

deck doesn't look too bad for a beginner building his first deck. one thing i do want to correct you on early is the mana misconception. beginners tend to learn or assume that 20 is a fair number for lands; it allows you to consistently have a second mana source by turn 2 90% of the time. in actuality, having only a third of your deck being lands tends to mess with your potential to "hit" your land drops as the game progresses. if you're playing angels, you're gonna need more mana. if you're curious, here is some more informed reading: http://www.channelfireball.com/articles/frank-analysis-how-many-colored-mana-sources-do-you-need-to-consistently-cast-your-spells/

the main things you're missing are focus and context. a focused deck is one that has a singular game plan and works toward it. an easy example is a burn deck; let's say it draws 2 lands and 5 burn spells. the average burn spell tends to deal 3 damage, so card-by-card, just your opening hand accounts for roughly 15 life, or 3/4th of a win. not to mention that it has a very high probability of drawing more as the game progresses; there's a reason it's stuck around as an established archetype. as for context, that's just knowing what other people are playing and having the right cards to beat their expected cards.

you can't know context, so let's focus on focus. your deck has too many themes: angels, populate, burn. if you had to eliminate one as "non-complimentary", which would it be?

immediately, populate strikes me as the weak mechanic. you have 4 cmc growing ranks dedicated to one valid target: 1/1 spirit tokens. it would be one thing if you had 5/5 trample wurm tokens being populated, but the potential value here in this deck is very slim and drawing it when behind will do little for you.

-2 growing ranks

worldfire is exciting, but your deck should be planning to win on the backs of angels, not by burning them.

-1 worldfire

having a lot of things is cool, but having your life depend on them at a steep 7 mana is not cool. you should look up cards like anger of the gods, bile blight, drown in sorrow. very cheap cards that can immediately put you in jeopardy if you're not careful.

-2 touch of the eternal

it might feel weird to cut these 5 functioning cards out for 5 lands, but it should work out a lot better for you.

those are some very simple basics. i'm on call, so i'm going to jump in the shower, but i'll come back later with some card recommendations.
Apr 16 2014 02:50pm
Quote (Giveuptheghost @ Apr 16 2014 01:22pm)
yes, worldfire exiles lands as well.

deck doesn't look too bad for a beginner building his first deck. one thing i do want to correct you on early is the mana misconception. beginners tend to learn or assume that 20 is a fair number for lands; it allows you to consistently have a second mana source by turn 2 90% of the time. in actuality, having only a third of your deck being lands tends to mess with your potential to "hit" your land drops as the game progresses. if you're playing angels, you're gonna need more mana. if you're curious, here is some more informed reading: http://www.channelfireball.com/articles/frank-analysis-how-many-colored-mana-sources-do-you-need-to-consistently-cast-your-spells/

the main things you're missing are focus and context. a focused deck is one that has a singular game plan and works toward it. an easy example is a burn deck; let's say it draws 2 lands and 5 burn spells. the average burn spell tends to deal 3 damage, so card-by-card, just your opening hand accounts for roughly 15 life, or 3/4th of a win. not to mention that it has a very high probability of drawing more as the game progresses; there's a reason it's stuck around as an established archetype. as for context, that's just knowing what other people are playing and having the right cards to beat their expected cards.

you can't know context, so let's focus on focus. your deck has too many themes: angels, populate, burn. if you had to eliminate one as "non-complimentary", which would it be?

immediately, populate strikes me as the weak mechanic. you have 4 cmc growing ranks dedicated to one valid target: 1/1 spirit tokens. it would be one thing if you had 5/5 trample wurm tokens being populated, but the potential value here in this deck is very slim and drawing it when behind will do little for you.

-2 growing ranks

worldfire is exciting, but your deck should be planning to win on the backs of angels, not by burning them.

-1 worldfire

having a lot of things is cool, but having your life depend on them at a steep 7 mana is not cool. you should look up cards like anger of the gods, bile blight, drown in sorrow. very cheap cards that can immediately put you in jeopardy if you're not careful.

-2 touch of the eternal

it might feel weird to cut these 5 functioning cards out for 5 lands, but it should work out a lot better for you.

those are some very simple basics. i'm on call, so i'm going to jump in the shower, but i'll come back later with some card recommendations.

<3
thanks buddy
yea i was thinking about populate, and how it might make my deck too busy. i did have a goal when i first made it, indestructable. i was suppose to get that medic guy, who has indestructable from batalion, but i never got it. i probably should. i will cut out my token/populate and focus on that main goal again. as for my mana, i forgot to put in my mana hehe. im using 4x boros gate, a clifftop retreat, and i believe the rest are normal plains/mountains. i should probably add in a few more lands ya think? i wanna get 3x more clifftop retreat, and replace the boros gate cause those come in tapped no matter what. im gonna look tonight or something, see what cards i have that are not in current standard so i can cheaply replace and keep current to go to FNM. that, or i can spend a little more but still cheap, and reconstruct an angel deck ( how much i would need i dont know, maybe 30$? maybe more? idk )

maybe you can just PM me so we dont get a warning haha
Gold: 1,962.00
Apr 18 2014 02:26am
What GPU?
6850 or 6870?

That might be enough, I would recommend you trying that first unless you want to spend about $300 on a new gpu right away
Go Back To Computer Building Topic List
Prev1234Next
Add Reply New Topic New Poll