d2jsp
d2jsp Forums > Off-Topic > General Chat > Political & Religious Debate > Seattle, 1854
Add Reply New Topic New Poll
Gold: 122,606.50
Apr 9 2014 10:33pm
I wanna share one of best mix of wisdom and poesy i read yet

I am not posting this to blame Americans, all colons should be concerned

You will understand that Chief Seattle did not have the choice to accept or not to sell his lands

There is some debate about that text have been modified from original version, but it does not change the beauty

"The President in Washington sends word that he wishes to buy our land. But how can you buy or sell the sky? the land? The idea is strange to us. If we do not own the freshness of the air and the sparkle of the water, how can you buy them?

Every part of the earth is sacred to my people. Every shining pine needle, every sandy shore, every mist in the dark woods, every meadow, every humming insect. All are holy in the memory and experience of my people.

We know the sap which courses through the trees as we know the blood that courses through our veins. We are part of the earth and it is part of us. The perfumed flowers are our sisters. The bear, the deer, the great eagle, these are our brothers. The rocky crests, the dew in the meadow, the body heat of the pony, and man all belong to the same family.

The shining water that moves in the streams and rivers is not just water, but the blood of our ancestors. If we sell you our land, you must remember that it is sacred. Each glossy reflection in the clear waters of the lakes tells of events and memories in the life of my people. The water's murmur is the voice of my father's father.

The rivers are our brothers. They quench our thirst. They carry our canoes and feed our children. So you must give the rivers the kindness that you would give any brother.

If we sell you our land, remember that the air is precious to us, that the air shares its spirit with all the life that it supports. The wind that gave our grandfather his first breath also received his last sigh. The wind also gives our children the spirit of life. So if we sell our land, you must keep it apart and sacred, as a place where man can go to taste the wind that is sweetened by the meadow flowers.

Will you teach your children what we have taught our children? That the earth is our mother? What befalls the earth befalls all the sons of the earth.

This we know: the earth does not belong to man, man belongs to the earth. All things are connected like the blood that unites us all. Man did not weave the web of life, he is merely a strand in it. Whatever he does to the web, he does to himself.

One thing we know: our God is also your God. The earth is precious to him and to harm the earth is to heap contempt on its creator.

Your destiny is a mystery to us. What will happen when the buffalo are all slaughtered? The wild horses tamed? What will happen when the secret corners of the forest are heavy with the scent of many men and the view of the ripe hills is blotted with talking wires? Where will the thicket be? Gone! Where will the eagle be? Gone! And what is to say goodbye to the swift pony and then hunt? The end of living and the beginning of survival.

When the last red man has vanished with this wilderness, and his memory is only the shadow of a cloud moving across the prairie, will these shores and forests still be here? Will there be any of the spirit of my people left?

We love this earth as a newborn loves its mother's heartbeat. So, if we sell you our land, love it as we have loved it. Care for it, as we have cared for it. Hold in your mind the memory of the land as it is when you receive it. Preserve the land for all children, and love it, as God loves us.

As we are part of the land, you too are part of the land. This earth is precious to us. It is also precious to you.

One thing we know - there is only one God. No man, be he Red man or White man, can be apart. We ARE all brothers after all."

Gold: 152.00
Apr 9 2014 10:50pm
Quote (2sexy4u @ Apr 10 2014 12:33am)
all colons should be concerned

my colon is super concerned
Gold: 285.00
Apr 9 2014 10:55pm
Quote (Voyaging @ Apr 9 2014 11:50pm)
my colon is super concerned

lmao
Gold: 122,606.50
Apr 9 2014 11:00pm
uh should i say settler or what :angel:

Gold: 7,525.35
Apr 10 2014 12:02am
Here they are trying to buy some land and they get a whole song and dance about air and flowers
A+ troll
Gold: 655.00
Apr 10 2014 12:36am
Quote (2sexy4u @ Apr 10 2014 01:00am)
uh should i say settler or what  :angel:

Colonist
Gold: 285.00
Apr 10 2014 04:50am
Quote (cambovenzi @ Apr 10 2014 01:02am)
Here they are trying to buy some land and they get a whole song and dance about air and flowers
A+ troll

Lol, buy land.

Nobody can actually own land, we only pretend so, part of the god complex.
Gold: 7,252.72
Apr 10 2014 05:00am
...the Indian concept of land ownership is responsible for the denigrating term " indian giver " . They would sell a place like Manhattan to the settlers but because they didn't believe in land ownership they would take the shiny beads we gave them and then refuse to vacate the premises . Then they would go on the warpath when served with an eviction notice .
Gold: 5,016.77
Apr 10 2014 07:04am
Quote (Skinned @ Apr 10 2014 05:50am)
Lol, buy land.

Nobody can actually own land, we only pretend so, part of the god complex.

Can anybody actually "own" anything? It's ours because we think it's ours, and the government thinks it's ours. Ownership is as real as the force behind it.

Private property is completely necessary. Human beings are not enlightened enough to live without it.

Quote (WidowMaKer_MK @ Apr 10 2014 06:00am)
...the Indian concept of land ownership is responsible for the denigrating term " indian giver " . They would sell a place like Manhattan to the settlers but because they didn't believe in land ownership they would take the shiny beads we gave them and then refuse to vacate the premises . Then they would go on the warpath when served  with an eviction notice .

Just another example of all humans being stubborn and self-interested. Native Americans were no exception.

This post was edited by IceMage on Apr 10 2014 07:06am
Go Back To Political & Religious Debate Topic List
Add Reply New Topic New Poll