d2jsp
d2jsp Forums > Off-Topic > General Chat > Political & Religious Debate > Unrestrained Anti-intellectualism > In The Republican Party
Prev1234
Add Reply New Topic New Poll
Gold: 138.69
Apr 9 2014 07:33pm
Mankato? Where's the little house on the prairie?
Gold: 285.00
Apr 9 2014 08:44pm
Quote (bogie160 @ Apr 9 2014 07:42pm)
Thinness was a product of want, obesity came with plentiful cheap food, and now healthy living is slowly replacing obesity as a product of luxury and social advancement.

The solution was never to embrace Carter's dream of want and Soviet styled sacrifice, instead we've pushed the bounds of societal accomplishment.

Medicare is insolvent and yet the left only proposes to add spending on top, meaningful change isn't discussed. Ryan is being attacked for suggesting we have a problem.

Social Security isn't solvent because the trust fund doesn't exist. It is debt owed by the government, and the funds to pay for obligations will have to come from the budget to make up for it. This represents a double burden on the current and future generations.

We need to forgive these obligations, accept that they're gone, and work to raise the retirement age and reduce benefits to make up for it. Otherwise they will just represent a real and growing burden on budgets going forward masked by the fact that the fund itself is technically solvent.

Demonizing the wealthy and deciding that the minimum wage "just doesn't feel right" is exactly the same leftist populism that those countries embrace.

This bleeds into the anti-intellectualism of the Democratic Paety. Most economists are to the right, most professionals are to the right. The left is composed of the uninformed poor and the liberal arts and social science academics (economics excluded). I don't see why those academics would be seen as particularly informed on how economies should be structured. If I want an opinion on Anglo-Saxon culture in the mid-9th century I'll duly turn to them for help, just as I'm sure you'll embrace the economic wisdom of those who have made their life a study of it.

Adjusting minimum wage to inflating isn't "feeling right", it is acknowledging that whatever it has been for the past few years is worth less and less.

And most credible economist bash the GOP as much as the Dems.

And obviously economics would be the most important aspect of life for somebody who has devoted their entire life to the study of such. But it is only one piece of the picture. Political response to economics is reactive and epiphenomenal. The control is bottom up, stemming from culture. Individualism and hedonism ingrained through socialization maybe could be a problem?
Gold: 8,933.00
Apr 9 2014 09:05pm
Quote (Skinned @ Apr 9 2014 09:44pm)
Adjusting minimum wage to inflating isn't "feeling right", it is acknowledging that whatever it has been for the past few years is worth less and less.

And obviously economics would be the most important aspect of life for somebody who has devoted their entire life to the study of such.  But it is only one piece of the picture.  Political response to economics is reactive and epiphenomenal.  The control is bottom up, stemming from culture.  Individualism and hedonism ingrained through socialization maybe could be a problem?

I don't support the minimum wage, but I'd gladly support tying it to inflation. I even took an online survey from one of the Democrats in my legislature stating as much - because the Democrats (who have full control of government here) were fighting over whether to do it, and they just did.

I look forward to the Democrats losing this as a campaign issue and also as a way to show politicians that inflation is understated - especially for the poor.
Gold: 1,895.00
Apr 9 2014 10:11pm
Quote (Skinned @ Apr 9 2014 12:33pm)
Just a reminder to everyone who we're dealing with here:

http://iacknowledge.net/republican-says-hes-running-for-congress-because-evolution-made-his-daughter-cry/

Republican Says He’s Running for Congress Because Evolution Made His Daughter Cry

Sorry, but if somebody in the Democratic party came out and said anything this stupid it would be met with mass derision by the party.

What is so wrong with the GOP that this guy is an acceptable candidate?

How can so many people take them seriously when they keep putting clowns like this up to represent their party?

And Minnesota?  They have Michelle Bachmann and this guy?  WTF Santara, explain your state!

Sadly, he'll probably win the election too. Another example of an uninformed person trying to change what they don't like. Next up will be an anti-vaxxer running for congress.

That is a good example of why I don't vote Republican to often though.

This post was edited by dark-soul on Apr 9 2014 10:20pm
Gold: 633.87
Apr 9 2014 10:21pm
Quote (Skinned @ Apr 9 2014 09:44pm)

And obviously economics would be the most important aspect of life for somebody who has devoted their entire life to the study of such.  But it is only one piece of the picture.  Political response to economics is reactive and epiphenomenal.  The control is bottom up, stemming from culture.  Individualism and hedonism ingrained through socialization maybe could be a problem?

The minimum wage is unnecessary. Most people don't earn it and it unfairly discriminates against both unskilled labor and businesses which rely on cheap labor.

I don't see individualism as a problem, and consumerism is the only way we know to keep the economy moving.

There literally isn't any other way to foster growth except through widespread consumption, the libertarians screaming "investment" don't understand that to invest implies future consumption. If people aren't willing to consume the fruits of investment you get a bubble. China has this where they build houses no one needs in places no one wants to live.

This is our status quo, there is no way out of the capitalist cycle and there's nothing better to go to even if we could. Better that the government tax the rich such that it can offer basic services and otherwise let the game go on.
Go Back To Political & Religious Debate Topic List
Prev1234
Add Reply New Topic New Poll