d2jsp
d2jsp Forums > Off-Topic > General Chat > Political & Religious Debate > Unrestrained Anti-intellectualism > In The Republican Party
1234Next
Add Reply New Topic New Poll
Gold: 285.00
Apr 9 2014 11:33am
Just a reminder to everyone who we're dealing with here:

http://iacknowledge.net/republican-says-hes-running-for-congress-because-evolution-made-his-daughter-cry/

Republican Says He’s Running for Congress Because Evolution Made His Daughter Cry

The Minnesota Republican Party’s nominee for the 1st Congressional District told an audience this week that he wanted to win because learning about evolution made his daughter cry, and he wants to make sure schools are not forced to teach it.

The Mankato Free Press reported last month that Aaron Miller told a story to a Republican county convention about how his daughter became “very upset because she had to learn about evolution at school.” Miller claimed that the teacher shared the distress of his daughter,and expressed remorse that they were forced to teach the lesson. The candidate refused to provide any other details at the time.

“There’s a war on our values by the government,” he insisted. “We should decide what is taught in our schools, not Washington, D.C.”

Over the weekend, Miller was officially named the Republican nominee, and he took the opportunity to repeat the anti-evolution story.

“He also called for more religious freedoms,” the Free Press noted. “He repeated his story about his daughter returning home from school in tears because evolution was being taught in her class. He said the teacher admitted to not believing in the scientific theory to his daughter but told her that the government forced him to teach the lesson.”

Again, he declined to provide the details necessary for reporters to verify the story.

“I’m running for Congress because of my children,” Miller explained at a Rochester Tea Party Patriots forum in February. “I have two daughters, 14 and 9, and I’m concerned that I’m about ready to offer a country to my girls that is not better off than my parents offered me.”

The candidate later said that the federal government should not have a role in school curriculum.

“The more we can keep the decision making at the local level, the better off we are,” he opined.

What is it with the GOP and fairytales?  The Party is not only rabidly anti-science, be it on issues of climate change or evolution, but party members have abandoned basing their own arguments in tangible, testable evidence. According to PolitiFact, a US fact-checking organisation – 32% of claims made by the GOP last year were false (3 times the lie-rate of Democrats).  That makes potentially 1 in every 3 statements that come out of a Republican’s mouth a lie.

All that matters is manipulative emotional pleas in order to obtain votes.  Never mind if the anecdotes and statistics are conjured out of their own asses.  Never mind that their policy prescriptions only seek to exacerbate wealth inequality, poverty, the breakdown of communities, environmental damage, and the erosion of civil liberties.  Never mind all that – just “y’know, grrrrrrrr, rant, rant, blah.”

Any American without the wealth to buy their own island, that votes for the GOP, is voting for their own destitution and decivilization.

Sorry, but if somebody in the Democratic party came out and said anything this stupid it would be met with mass derision by the party.

What is so wrong with the GOP that this guy is an acceptable candidate?

How can so many people take them seriously when they keep putting clowns like this up to represent their party?

And Minnesota? They have Michelle Bachmann and this guy? WTF Santara, explain your state!
Gold: 500.00
Apr 9 2014 11:51am
sounds like he'd fit in well on the house science committee
Apr 9 2014 11:55am
Quote (duffman316 @ Apr 9 2014 12:51pm)
sounds like he'd fit in well on the house science committee

At home in the 14th century :lol:

This is Taliban-like stuff.

Islam went downhill when they decided that scientific data was subordinate to the Koran. American conservatives are making that same devil's deal.

This post was edited by Skinned on Apr 9 2014 11:56am
Gold: 633.87
Apr 9 2014 12:01pm
What an embarrassing article.

The left has no competency on economics or social policy. Those are far bigger concerns than one guy railing against evolution.
Apr 9 2014 12:03pm
Quote (Skinned @ Apr 9 2014 12:55pm)
At home in the 14th century  :lol:

This is Taliban-like stuff.

i'd wager that the source of the money that flows into congress is interested in its own prosperity and knowing that you'd need a population with adequate scientific literacy to provide a steady supply of labor that can meet the technological demands of the 21st century, i don't expect anything anti-scientific would get pushed through successfully with the exception of climate science denial
Apr 9 2014 12:06pm
Quote (duffman316 @ Apr 9 2014 01:03pm)
i'd wager that the source of the money that flows into congress is interested in its own prosperity and knowing that you'd need a population with adequate scientific literacy to provide a steady supply of labor that can meet the technological demands of the 21st century, i don't expect anything anti-scientific would get pushed through successfully with the exception of climate science denial

How about having a population of illiterate morons who can provide as much cheap labor as possibly needed? The more of them there are, the cheaper they are to buy.

Why do you think that all tasks except the most professional are broken down into pushing single buttons and pulling single levers? It is so that the employees by definition are as unskilled and cheap as possible. This has been steadily happening for the past century.

It is in the interest of the capitalist to keep most people stupid, otherwise they'd be creating their own competition.

This post was edited by Skinned on Apr 9 2014 12:06pm
Gold: 20.31
Apr 9 2014 12:07pm
Quote (Skinned @ Apr 9 2014 01:33pm)
How can so many people take them seriously when they keep putting clowns like this up to represent their party?

So many people don't. This is why their favorability ratings as a party are at historic lows. They have become a gong show, post-policy party. Their frontrunner for a U.S. Senate seat in Georgia, a race that by all accounts they should easily win in this cycle (last time that'll be true) is known only for this hulking facepalm of a rant:

“God’s word is true. I’ve come to understand that. All that stuff I was taught about evolution, embryology, Big Bang theory, all that is lies straight from the pit of hell. It’s lies to try to keep me and all the folks who are taught that from understanding that they need a savior. There’s a lot of scientific data that I found out as a scientist that actually show that this is really a young Earth. I believe that the Earth is about 9,000 years old. I believe that it was created in six days as we know them. That’s what the Bible says. And what I’ve come to learn is that it’s the manufacturer’s handbook, is what I call it. It teaches us how to run our lives individually. How to run our families, how to run our churches. But it teaches us how to run all our public policy and everything in society. And that’s the reason, as your congressman, I hold the Holy Bible as being the major directions to me of how I vote in Washington, D.C., and I’ll continue to do that.”

They failed to learn the lessons of the 2002 election, then the 2004 election, then 2006, 2008, 2010, 2012... that's the big problem. It's a "choose your own reality" endeavor for them now because they don't learn when they win and they don't learn when they lose.
Apr 9 2014 12:09pm
Quote (bogie160 @ Apr 9 2014 01:01pm)

The left has no competency on economics or social policy. Those are far bigger concerns than one guy railing against evolution.

isn't that trickled down nonsense widely accepted as being the nonsense it always was now?

This post was edited by duffman316 on Apr 9 2014 12:10pm
Apr 9 2014 12:39pm
Quote (bogie160 @ Apr 9 2014 01:01pm)

I dunno, the GOP seems to think austerity is a successful policy when it causes more problems when it is implemented.

The new Ryan budget raises taxes on middle class families by over $2k a year while making massive tax cuts to the top 1%. I think that is a massive failure, as it stinks of Reaganomics and trickle-down drivel that only works in the minds of the uberwealthy and those who serve them. It has cuts to education, medical research, public works, job training, food stamps, will turn medicare into a voucher program, and kill millions of people off their current insurance policies.

It is a massive failure on an economic and political front.

This post was edited by Skinned on Apr 9 2014 12:40pm
Gold: 68.99
Warn: 10%
Apr 9 2014 12:41pm
Quote (Skinned @ Apr 9 2014 08:55pm)
Islam went downhill when they decided that scientific data was subordinate to the Koran.

are you referring to the popularised misunderstanding of Al-Ghazali?
because, eh, not really

This post was edited by Gastly on Apr 9 2014 12:42pm
Go Back To Political & Religious Debate Topic List
1234Next
Add Reply New Topic New Poll