d2jsp
d2jsp Forums > Off-Topic > General Chat > Political & Religious Debate >
Poll > How Far Have You To Go For Fresh Produce?
Prev1234510Next
Add Reply New Topic New Poll
  Guests cannot view or vote in polls. Please register or login.
Gold: Locked
Apr 4 2014 11:14am
Quote (Santara @ Apr 4 2014 06:44am)
There are "right farmers to subsidize?????" I call BS. The small family farm is now a forgotten thing of the past. "Small" farms these days are multi-million dollar endeavors. Stop pouring good money after bad, people! Maybe, just maybe if we didn't inflate the prices of our food to cushion the wallets of farmers, food would be more affordable. Maybe, just maybe if we didn't incentivize farmers to grow food to put into our gas tanks - crowding out the use of cropland for growing food to (get this) actually eat - food would be more affordable. Maybe, just maybe if we didn't pay farmers TO NOT GROW FOOD in efforts to PROP UP FOOD PRICES, food would be more affordable.

Fucking Eurotrash doesn't know fuck-all about what libertarians think.

If you're talking about paying farmers for land that lies fallow, you should do some research on soil depletion and crop rotation.

If you want to talk about propping up food prices, talk about all the food we're just throwing away.
Gold: 8,933.00
Apr 4 2014 11:19am
Quote (BardOfXiix @ Apr 4 2014 12:14pm)
If you're talking about paying farmers for land that lies fallow, you should do some research on soil depletion and crop rotation.

If you want to talk about propping up food prices, talk about all the food we're just throwing away.

Soil depletion and crop rotation can be managed by the farmer without paying him to not farm. If declining yields aren't enough to encourage intelligent farming techniques, then he has no business being in business.

How do we not throw food away once it's bad?
Gold: 12,730.67
Apr 4 2014 11:20am
I love how out of touch this piece of eurotrash is.
Gold: 270.56
Apr 4 2014 12:07pm
until I bought my most recent house, I've always had a garden every year. But to buy from stores, about 2 miles in any direction and I've a grocery store near me. Each Thursday is farmers market at our local college.
Gold: Locked
Apr 4 2014 12:18pm
Quote (Santara @ Apr 4 2014 10:19am)
Soil depletion and crop rotation can be managed by the farmer without paying him to not farm. If declining yields aren't enough to encourage intelligent farming techniques, then he has no business being in business.

How do we not throw food away once it's bad?

Reading a few papers with regards to the topic. Do you want me to include any sources you have on the topic?

Food Loss:
http://www.calrecycle.ca.gov/reducewaste/food/foodlosses.pdf
http://www.ce.cmu.edu/~gdrg/readings/2006/12/19/Jones_UsingContemporaryArchaeologyAndAppliedAnthropologyToUnderstandFoodLossInAmericanFoodSystem.pdf

Fallow Farming Regulations:
http://www.serconline.org/farmlandTaxLoophole.html
http://www.forest-trends.org/documents/files/doc_3274.pdf

I'll engage more fully in this discussion after I read up on it. But I can tell you that from a soil science perspective, crop rotation is necessary but not sufficient for keeping your fields active--they do need to lie fallow regularly in order to keep the yield high and not deplete the soil.
Gold: 285.00
Apr 4 2014 12:20pm
Quote (Santara @ Apr 4 2014 08:44am)
There are "right farmers to subsidize?????" I call BS. The small family farm is now a forgotten thing of the past. "Small" farms these days are multi-million dollar endeavors. Stop pouring good money after bad, people! Maybe, just maybe if we didn't inflate the prices of our food to cushion the wallets of farmers, food would be more affordable. Maybe, just maybe if we didn't incentivize farmers to grow food to put into our gas tanks - crowding out the use of cropland for growing food to (get this) actually eat - food would be more affordable. Maybe, just maybe if we didn't pay farmers TO NOT GROW FOOD in efforts to PROP UP FOOD PRICES, food would be more affordable.

When I say we are subsidizing the wrong farmers, I mean we are subsidizing corn and soy beans that go into preservatives at the expense of fresh food growers who can't get their products into anybody who isn't Walmart or a large grocery store due to economies of scale. Maybe you should study national agricultural policy before you call BS on statements made about it because I'm correct here.

Luckily we have a farmers market downtown where our poorer residents who aren't privileged enough to live near fresh food stores can get it on the weekends, as all our buses can make it there. But it is still fucking expensive to buy non-corn or soy products. And everything cost more the lower the socioeconomic area you buy it is. Milks $3 in the suburbs, $4.50 in the hood. A loaf of bread $3, when they're $1 a few miles away where I'm lucky enough to be able to drive to.

But hunger was reintroduced as a problem in America when our agricultural strategy turned into what it is now. Bu 1980, hunger had been eradicated, but some treasonous assholes in government only serve 1-3% of the population at the expense of the lower 97%. We don't have a lack of food, the means of distribution is faulty. As a society we need to reevaluate.

1 in 6 people in America face hunger.

Households with children reported a significantly higher food insecurity rate than households without children in 2011. 20.6 percent vs. 12.2 percent.

Food insecurity exists in every county in America. In 2011, 17.9 million households were food insecure.

50.1 million Americans struggle to put food on the table.

In the US, hunger isn’t caused by a lack of food, but rather the continued prevalence of poverty.

More than 1 in 5 children is at risk of hunger
        Among African-Americans and Latinos, it’s 1 in 3.

Over 20 million children receive free or reduced-price lunch each school day. Less than half of them get breakfast and only 10 percent have access to summer feeding sites.

For every 100 school lunch programs, there are only 87 breakfast sites and just 36 summer food programs.

1 in 7 people are enrolled in Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program (SNAP). Nearly half of them are children.

40 percent of food is thrown out in the US every year, or about $165 billion worth. All of this uneaten food could feed 25 million Americans.

These seven states have statistically higher food insecurity rates than the US national average (14.7%):
        Mississippi (19.2%)
        Texas (18.5%)
        Arkansas (19.2%)
        Alabama (17.4%)
        Georgia (17.4%)
        Florida (16.2%)
        North Carolina (17.1%)

https://www.dosomething.org/tipsandtools/11-facts-about-hunger-us

Worshiping money is ruining this nation. Bring back the New Deal to be prosperous again. It is time to rethink our food distribution system in the US because what we've decided on is lacking and it is time to change it.

This post was edited by Skinned on Apr 4 2014 12:23pm
Apr 4 2014 12:34pm
Quote (Skinned @ Apr 4 2014 01:20pm)
When I say we are subsidizing the wrong farmers, I mean we are subsidizing corn and soy beans that go into preservatives at the expense of fresh food growers who can't get their products into anybody who isn't Walmart or a large grocery store due to economies of scale.  Maybe you should study national agricultural policy before you call BS on statements made about it because I'm correct here.

Luckily we have a farmers market downtown where our poorer residents who aren't privileged enough to live near fresh food stores can get it on the weekends, as all our buses can make it there. But it is still fucking expensive to buy non-corn or soy products.  And everything cost more the lower the socioeconomic area you buy it is.  Milks $3 in the suburbs, $4.50 in the hood.  A loaf of bread $3, when they're $1 a few miles away where I'm lucky enough to be able to drive to.

But hunger was reintroduced as a problem in America when our agricultural strategy turned into what it is now.  Bu 1980, hunger had been eradicated, but some treasonous assholes in government only serve 1-3% of the population at the expense of the lower 97%.    We don't have a lack of food, the means of distribution is faulty.  As a society we need to reevaluate.

https://www.dosomething.org/tipsandtools/11-facts-about-hunger-us

Worshiping money is ruining this nation.  Bring back the New Deal to be prosperous again.  It is time to rethink our food distribution system in the US because what we've decided on is lacking and it is time to change it.

Ag policy is already a pet peeve of mine, tyvm. Subsidizing corn/soy (which I do NOT condone) does not mean that it comes at the expense of fresh food growers.

We resurrecting the non-existence of starvation in the US thread again?
Apr 4 2014 12:56pm
Quote (Santara @ Apr 4 2014 01:34pm)
Ag policy is already a pet peeve of mine, tyvm. Subsidizing corn/soy (which I do NOT condone) does not mean that it comes at the expense of fresh food growers.

We resurrecting the non-existence of starvation in the US thread again?

Did you not look at my post? Read the quote box. Only an idiot would claim many Americans don't have a shortage of food.

I suppose libertarians are okay with the elderly poor eating cat food as long as they're not technically starving to death.

Good to know that any hunger problems have to reach the point of mass starvation before you feel like they're worth addressing.

/s

Quote (brmv @ Apr 4 2014 01:00am)
how far do you need to travel to get the following selection of fresh produce (ie not frozen or processed):
10 types (not varieties) of vegetables (include potato and tomato here)
5 types of fruit/berries
3 types of meat (pork, beef, lamb, goat, kangaroo, moose, etc)
2 types of seafood (fish, molluscs, crustaceans, etc)

just read an article about the lack of availability of fresh produce in poorer neighbourhoods
http://www.theguardian.com/cities/2014/mar/17/atlanta-food-deserts-stranded-struggling-survive

so wondering what availability the pard posters have
also, is there a solution to those 'food deserts'?
is there the need for the government (state of federal) to address this issue
(i know what the libertarians will answer, so only looking for serious responses)

inbe4ed

This post was edited by Skinned on Apr 4 2014 12:57pm
Apr 4 2014 02:06pm
Here is a solid comprehensive film about hunger in America, told in a non-partisan way. When I say non-partisan, I mean it doesn't try to scapegoat any single political party or politician while ignoring the transgressions of the others.

http://www.takepart.com/place-at-the-table

Unless you're a libertarian and believe ketchup is a vegetable and hunger isn't a problem until the peasants are starving and rioting you'll probably enjoy the movie. If you're a libertarian then you'd probably just blame the kids for not being able to learn when they're not getting enough nutrition to focus on anything but being hungry and say that the federal lunch programs that give them some of their meager calorie count is being oppressive to your freedom, while of course your needs are being met.
Apr 4 2014 02:13pm
Quote (Skinned @ Apr 4 2014 03:06pm)
Here is a solid comprehensive film about hunger in America, told in a non-partisan way.  When I say non-partisan, I mean it doesn't try to scapegoat any single political party or politician while ignoring the transgressions of the others.

http://www.takepart.com/place-at-the-table

Unless you're a libertarian and believe ketchup is a vegetable and hunger isn't a problem until the peasants are starving and rioting you'll probably enjoy the movie.  If you're a libertarian then you'd probably just blame the kids for not being able to learn when they're not getting enough nutrition to focus on anything but being hungry and say that the federal lunch programs that give them some of their meager calorie count is being oppressive to your freedom, while of course your needs are being met.

Lol, you're a regular walking non sequitur today aren't you? Do you need a hug?
Go Back To Political & Religious Debate Topic List
Prev1234510Next
Add Reply New Topic New Poll