d2jsp
d2jsp Forums > Off-Topic > General Chat > Political & Religious Debate >
Poll > How Far Have You To Go For Fresh Produce?
12310Next
Add Reply New Topic New Poll
  Guests cannot view or vote in polls. Please register or login.
Gold: 11,700.00
Apr 4 2014 12:00am
how far do you need to travel to get the following selection of fresh produce (ie not frozen or processed):
10 types (not varieties) of vegetables (include potato and tomato here)
5 types of fruit/berries
3 types of meat (pork, beef, lamb, goat, kangaroo, moose, etc)
2 types of seafood (fish, molluscs, crustaceans, etc)

just read an article about the lack of availability of fresh produce in poorer neighbourhoods
http://www.theguardian.com/cities/2014/mar/17/atlanta-food-deserts-stranded-struggling-survive

so wondering what availability the pard posters have
also, is there a solution to those 'food deserts'?
is there the need for the government (state of federal) to address this issue
(i know what the libertarians will answer, so only looking for serious responses)
Gold: 285.00
Apr 4 2014 12:19am
This is a serious problem and has mostly to do with our agricultural policy. Obesity in urban centers and hunger throughout rural America are both caused by lack of affordable food.

Essentially we the people are subsidizing the wrong farmers. Corruption in leadership.

I live in a pretty affluent area, so there are several places to get the above mentioned stuff, even in Kosher or Halal :)

Well not kangaroo...but we have bison.

This post was edited by Skinned on Apr 4 2014 12:21am
Gold: 12,730.67
Apr 4 2014 12:48am
Pretty much any grocery store. I have a farmer's market about a mile from me and all this organic bullshit within walking distance.
Gold: 1,895.00
Apr 4 2014 12:57am
I live a few miles from a Whole Foods Market so i'm good. There are also other grocery stores around me that sell everything as well.
Gold: 3,188.00
Apr 4 2014 01:28am
i grow my own stuff in my backyard, and there is a farmers market like a mile away during the summertime
Gold: 655.00
Apr 4 2014 01:51am
are they really complaining about driving 5 miles to the grocery store?

it seems more like the issue is the inconvience of having to load the whole family into the car....

if having to deal with traffic, and oversized family, and 10 miles total driving really is an important issue that despertly needs to be tackeled, start stocking produce and meats at convience stores.

This post was edited by Ylem122 on Apr 4 2014 01:55am
Gold: 152.00
Apr 4 2014 01:55am
I'd say anywhere under 10 miles is more than close enough to regularly shop at, or even exclusively shop at
Gold: 7,525.35
Apr 4 2014 01:57am
just over 2 miles from my house. I've walked there many times
And a walmart supercenter about 5 miles away.

Quote (brmv @ Apr 4 2014 02:00am)
how far do you need to travel to get the following selection of fresh produce (ie not frozen or processed):
10 types (not varieties) of vegetables (include potato and tomato here)
5 types of fruit/berries
3 types of meat (pork, beef, lamb, goat, kangaroo, moose, etc)
2 types of seafood (fish, molluscs, crustaceans, etc)

just read an article about the lack of availability of fresh produce in poorer neighbourhoods
http://www.theguardian.com/cities/2014/mar/17/atlanta-food-deserts-stranded-struggling-survive

so wondering what availability the pard posters have
also, is there a solution to those 'food deserts'?
is there the need for the government (state of federal) to address this issue
(i know what the libertarians will answer, so only looking for serious responses)

There actually is something I would have the government do..
repeal some zoning and licensing/permit laws that prevent people from selling fresh food anywhere near residential areas without getting permission and spending a whole bunch of money.
Taxes could also be lower. That would encourage business.

This post was edited by cambovenzi on Apr 4 2014 01:58am
Gold: 7,525.35
Apr 4 2014 02:05am
Quote (Ylem122 @ Apr 4 2014 03:51am)
are they really complaining about driving 5 miles to the grocery store?

it seems more like the issue is the inconvience of having to load the whole family into the car....

if having to deal with traffic, and oversized family, and 10 miles total driving really is an important issue that despertly needs to be tackeled, start stocking produce and meats at convience stores.

Yeah it doesn't seem like much of an issue.
Its not really a lack of stores.
Their worst case scenario has 2 walmart supercenters inside the city and another 18 around it plus all those other farmers markets and such they were talking about.

People usually die from nutrition related illnesses down south because of a poor choice in diet. There is a lot of fried foods and the like that people enjoy eating.
If I go to walmart and buy fried chicken all the time and die from a heart attack I wont blame it on there not being enough grocery stores.
If there was an overwhelming demand for fresh food people would be selling more of it.

This post was edited by cambovenzi on Apr 4 2014 02:06am
Gold: 655.00
Apr 4 2014 02:14am
Quote (cambovenzi @ Apr 4 2014 04:05am)
Yeah it doesn't seem like much of an issue.
Its not really a lack of stores.
Their worst case scenario has 2 walmart supercenters inside the city and another 18 around it plus all those other farmers markets and such they were talking about.

People usually die from nutrition related illnesses down south because of a poor choice in diet. There is a lot of fried foods and the like that people enjoy eating.
If I go to walmart and buy fried chicken all the time and die from a heart attack I wont blame it on there not being enough grocery stores.
If there was an overwhelming demand for fresh food people would be selling more of it.

I agree, but to note, deep frying or just frying dosnt mean fatty, if properly done, the steam the food creates while cooking does enough to keep the oil out. its only when you put the food in before the oil is hot enough or when you leave the food in way too long that the oil seeps into the food.

This post was edited by Ylem122 on Apr 4 2014 02:15am
Go Back To Political & Religious Debate Topic List
12310Next
Add Reply New Topic New Poll