d2jsp
d2jsp Forums > Off-Topic > General Chat > Political & Religious Debate > Asking Kindly, Is Mormonism Considered Christian?
Prev123458Next
Add Reply New Topic New Poll
Gold: 500.00
Apr 2 2014 02:43pm
Quote (Pygmalion @ Apr 2 2014 11:29am)
Out of curiosity, why do you think this?

i judge it by common elements, not interpretations of individual sects that think they've got it right and everyone else that varies by the slightest degree is anything but christian - which is pretty much what we see in this thread

>they believe jesus was son of god
>they believe jesus died for our sins

they're christian
Gold: 0.00
Apr 2 2014 02:48pm
Quote (LordTrogdor @ Apr 2 2014 04:33pm)
I still don't understand where you're going with that...? that's not where most of the major "sects" came from... the major breakoffs were Luther, and then the split between Greek Orthodox and Roman Catholic, then also Anglican (due to King Henry)...

those sects broke off due to minor disagreements, not disagreements on the fundamental basis of what they believe.... if you look at all those religions today, almost 85% of the belief system is the same.... so forming a new "sect" doesn't mean the old ones were wrong, it means whoever formed it/joined it felt that the new religion had more things right, or had fixed some of the things the previous religion had wrong... any of those religions I just listed would identify every single other one of them as a Christian religion... obviously they don't think they got it all wrong if they are calling the other religions Christian along with themselves...

on a major note though, wtf does this have to do with us saying mormons aren't Christian? they are NOT a sect of a major religion... they didn't "break off" from another major Christian faith.. they are pretty much all their own.

So in your own words, sects are people separating from something the previous one had wrong. How are you disagreeing with me again?
A common debate between some popular denominations that I've been caught in the cross hairs before,

Baptist vs Pentecostal:
Once-you're-saved-you're-always-saved Baptists think Pentecostals are crazy b/c they speak in tongues.
Pentecostals believe such baptists aren't saved because sin separates you from God. If you have unconfessed sin in your heart and die, you won't make it to heaven.

Stupid example, but it works. This separation is trying to literally define who is and isn't going to heaven.
I got on this topic b/c I was referring to protestant sects earlier and you quoted me, spiraling this conversation.

This post was edited by CoheedAndCambria on Apr 2 2014 02:56pm
Apr 2 2014 02:49pm
Quote (duffman316 @ Apr 2 2014 04:43pm)
i judge it by common elements, not interpretations of individual sects that think they've got it right and everyone else that varies by the slightest degree is anything but christian - which is pretty much what we see in this thread

>they believe jesus was son of god
>they believe jesus died for our sins

they're christian

This is exactly what I'm saying. Idk why it's such a hard concept.
Gold: 14,936.27
Apr 2 2014 03:25pm
Quote (CoheedAndCambria @ Apr 2 2014 08:48pm)
So in your own words, sects are people separating from something the previous one had wrong. How are you disagreeing with me again?
A common debate between some popular denominations that I've been caught in the cross hairs before,

Baptist vs Pentecostal:
Once-you're-saved-you're-always-saved Baptists think Pentecostals are crazy b/c they speak in tongues.
Pentecostals believe such baptists aren't saved because sin separates you from God. If you have unconfessed sin in your heart and die, you won't make it to heaven.

Stupid example, but it works. This separation is trying to literally define who is and isn't going to heaven.
I got on this topic b/c I was referring to protestant sects earlier and you quoted me, spiraling this conversation.

you aren't getting what I'm saying.. let's look at it this way, most major religions believe in God, Jesus, holy spirit etc... now Catholics don't believe in birth control or abortions... I disagree, if I break off and form a sect my sect is ok with abortions and birth control... am I saying the Catholic church is wrong on their belief foundations? no... my religion still believes in God/Jesus/holy spirit... am I saying they are wrong for not believing in abortions/birth control? no.... I just feel differently...

THAT is where most sects come from, they don't come from MAJOR disagreements in the fundamentals of religion... they come from smaller details (like luthers points) or like the Roman/Greek split over what exactly saints were....

Quote (CoheedAndCambria @ Apr 2 2014 08:49pm)
This is exactly what I'm saying. Idk why it's such a hard concept.

it's a hard concept because you guys are missing certain other HUGE parts of their belief system.... huge parts that are completely different from what other Christian religions believe... and parts that are actually contradictory to what the other major Christian religions believe to be part of the foundation of being Christian....
Apr 2 2014 03:37pm
Quote (LordTrogdor @ Apr 2 2014 05:25pm)
you aren't getting what I'm saying.. let's look at it this way, most major religions believe in God, Jesus, holy spirit etc... now Catholics don't believe in birth control or abortions... I disagree, if I break off and form a sect my sect is ok with abortions and birth control... am I saying the Catholic church is wrong on their belief foundations? no... my religion still believes in God/Jesus/holy spirit... am I saying they are wrong for not believing in abortions/birth control? no.... I just feel differently...

THAT is where most sects come from, they don't come from MAJOR disagreements in the fundamentals of religion... they come from smaller details (like luthers points) or like the Roman/Greek split over what exactly saints were....

it's a hard concept because you guys are missing certain other HUGE parts of their belief system.... huge parts that are completely different from what other Christian religions believe... and parts that are actually contradictory to what the other major Christian religions believe to be part of the foundation of being Christian....

So where you go after you die isn't fundamental enough for you? I know it's an inter-denomenational example, but it's a very very serious difference. However, both believe in Jesus.

If you have slight disagreements, such as the examples you gave, that isn't grounds for creating a new sect in most cases. There isn't another pro-abortion sect for Catholics, they're just Catholics. I was referring to sects being radically different (as is the case for many separations), such as the protestants separation from Catholics. Still to this day, many protestants don't believe Catholics are Christian. I know personally many people who consider Catholicism as pantheism because of "idolatry"

Such a fundamental and radical separation implies what I was talking about earlier, being "the right ones." These petty examples aren't what I'm talking about, usually inter-denomenational aren't serious. I think it's you who is missing the point.

In short, Christianity should imply a belief in Jesus Christ, and probably the two greatest commandments: Love the lord your god with all your heart, and love your neighbor as yourself.
That's ALL christianity should imply. You can add whatever you want to specify your beliefs, such as I am a _________ Christian.

This post was edited by CoheedAndCambria on Apr 2 2014 03:39pm
Gold: 5,016.77
Apr 2 2014 03:41pm
Watching atheists debate over what Christianity should mean....

Only on the internet.
Apr 2 2014 03:44pm
Quote (IceMage @ Apr 2 2014 05:41pm)
Watching atheists debate over what Christianity should mean....

Only on the internet.

I am not an atheist. I would call myself a Christian under the most bare bones definition, such as the one I just gave.
Gold: 152.00
Apr 2 2014 03:49pm
My response was the only possible correct answer so this thread is done now ty

All you're really asking is "Do you define the word 'Christian' in a way that it includes Mormons?"

Which is a really pointless question
Apr 2 2014 03:56pm
Quote (Voyaging @ Apr 2 2014 05:49pm)
My response was the only possible correct answer so this thread is done now ty

All you're really asking is "Do you define the word 'Christian' in a way that it includes Mormons?"

Which is a really pointless question

You offered nearly no insight, and this question was asked to people within the Christian community.

The Bible deals with this question, and I was trying to touch on the subject.
After Jesus' death, there was a huge debate on whether one can be Christian without being a practicing Jew.
The unanimous answer was yes. Both Jews and Gentiles can be considered Christians. (Jesus himself analogized non-Jewish Christians to dogs but Christian nonetheless.)

What we should take from this is that Christianity is a very broad term that can include many sub-beliefs.

This post was edited by CoheedAndCambria on Apr 2 2014 04:02pm
Retired Moderator
Gold: 848.00
Trader: Trusted
Apr 2 2014 04:09pm
Being Christian is not having all the knowledge of the Bible throughout your content.
be a Christian is to have moral conduct exemplified by its encoder, Jesus!
anyone can be a Christian in high moral attitudes, regardless of religion.
Mormons can be Christians.

Jesus had no religion.
Christianity was created by men based on the conduct and moral example of Jesus.
Go Back To Political & Religious Debate Topic List
Prev123458Next
Add Reply New Topic New Poll