d2jsp
d2jsp Forums > Other Games > Path of Exile > Strategy & Guides > ~ Simple Marauder Guide ~ > For New Poe Players!
12Next
Add Reply New Topic
Gold: 5,959.61
Jan 31 2014 11:55pm
BASIC GROUND SLAM MARAUDER GUIDE
A CHEAP AND EASY BEGINNERS BUILD FOR NEWCOMERS :)

**UPDATED SKILL TREE FOR NEWEST VERSION 3/28/16**

Contents:
I. Introduction
II. Skill Tree
III. Gem Setup
IV. Gem Quest Locations
V. Gear Description
VI. Weapon Description
VII. Valuable Unique's for the build

_______________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

I. INTRODUCTION

Before I begin I just want to say this is just a very simple little guide to help those just starting PoE.
I am in no way an "Expert Guide Maker". If you have ways you feel the build could be improved
and/or built differently, or any other feedback, please feel free to let me know
in a polite and humane manner. Please keep out any spam/flaming!

This guide/build is made especially for the new players of PoE! It is an easy build to make and is very inexpensive!
It is derived from other builds/guides/my own experiences.
It is easy to work through the acts/difficulties from gear you find or obtain through the vendors. And to top it
off, most of the gems used can be obtained through quest rewards! This is from what I have seen/experienced, one of the easiest
builds for newcomers to master and start collecting IGC for there future characters!

This build is made mainly off of a few key factors:

~ Armor
~ Life Pool
~ DPS
~ and DPS to Life Leech

This is a build that yields a high DPS output while retaining very good survivability, Which is what makes it a great
starting build! So without further ado lets take a look at the build!

The skill tree is pretty straight forward. The Idea here is not to waste time with unneeded Armor/Damage nodes.
Life is the main attribute to this build and in the end will help your overall survivability.

The one thing you will want to be careful for (as this is pretty much a full on melee build), Are those nasty monsters with
the "Reflect Physical Damage" Mods. Be careful to try and take these out carefully as to not overshoot your Life on Hit.

_______________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

II. SKILL TREE

Here is the basic skill tree for the build I am using: https://www.pathofexile.com/fullscreen-passive-skill-tree/AAAABAECAQHcAecEswUtB3UJlgthDc0RGhQgFE0YkRo4HM4hNCFVIZAkNycgK1As-zIJNI41kjboOQ464TwFPC09_ECgQT9DMUZpRrdHfkz_TeNQR1HmV1RYY1ivWfNaGl4TXz9f0GCRYVJlTWdYZ5to8moEaqVr2WxGbztybHKpc2t07Xasd-N4DXloeu982X31g1-E2YY7hmCHKYdqiiKQVZOolIeXeZ7Fn8uiAKZXpzCpbqmUrKquPq9sr6e0L7XyvJ-9Nr6nvwjAGsBmwKbBBMMzxFjE9sauxtjPftNv1ljYvdrB3D3fsuRR5K3qEOoY7w7vTu988B_2SPcy-F_8S_0w_lT-jw==

(If you have any ?'s or any suggestions to the tree, feel free to let me know.)

III. GEM SETUP

The gem setup for this build is fairly simple and the gems easy to obtain. (As stated most gems can be obtained through quest rewards!)
The gems are listed in order of importance (Going left to right, so say you only have 3 sockets, Ground slam > Life gain on hit > Faster attacks)

Gems:

~ Main AOE - Ground Slam > Life Gain on Hit > Faster Attacks > Melee Physical Damage > Added Fire Damage

~ Main 1v1 (for bosses) - Heavy Strike > Life Gain on Hit > Faster Attacks > Melee Physical Damage > Added Fire Damage

~ Totems - Decoy Totem (Helps to gather all enemies in one spot for more efficient ground slam)

~ Self Buff - Enduring Cry (Gives you additional damage reduction and resistance. also benefits the life regen per endurance charge via the skill tree)

~ Support - Cast When Damage Taken > Molten Shell > Decoy Totem > Enduring Cry (This is just one i like to use, May not be the same for everyone)

(NOTE: At any time you can replace Faster Attacks W/ Multi Strike. Faster attacks is just cheaper and easier to obtain.)

Thats pretty much it! its very simple and straight forward.

IV. GEM QUEST LOCATIONS

This section will provide you with what quests you can get the gems for this build from as a reward:

~ Ground Slam - Enemy at the Gate in Act1 (Normal), Mercy Mission in Act1 (Normal)

~ Life Gain on Hit - Sharp and Cruel in Act2 (Normal), Sever the Right Hand in Act3 (Normal)

~ Heavy Strike - Start with this gem

~ Decoy Totem - Breaking Some Eggs in Act1 (Normal), The Caged Brute in Act1 (Normal)

~ Molten Shell - The Caged Brute in Act1 (Normal)

~ Enduring Cry - Intruders in Black in Act2 (Normal), Lost in Love in Act3 (Normal)

~ Melee Physical Damage - Mercy Mission in Act1 (Cruel), The Siren's Cadence in Act1 (Cruel)

~ Added Fire Damage - The Siren's Cadence in Act1 (Normal), Sharp and Cruel in Act2 (Normal)

~ Cast When Damage Taken - A Fixture of Fate in Act3 (Merciless)

V. GEAR DESCRIPTION

Usually the hardest and most expensive part of any character is the gear. Have no fear! as stated this is a fairly inexpensive build!
The type of equipment is really up to you. (Personally I go with Armor). The only thing to keep in mind is the is that you want to always meet
the max resistance cap
! Other than that the mods that you really want to have on all the gear are Life, and Resistance.
Here is a breakdown on what gear might look like:

~ Helm = Life
~ Chest = Life
~ Boots = Movement Speed
~ Gloves = Life
~ Amulet = Resist
~ Rings = Resist

The other mods are really up to you. But these are the needed mods for the survivability of the build.

VI. WEAPON DESCRIPTION

And last, but not least, the weapon. As far as the weapon goes the best DPS I have found comes from maces. You want to use a Two-Handed Weapon,
(Stay away from the One-Hand + Shield combo, This will lower your overall DPS, Which is counter-productive to the purpose of the build by lowering the amount
of life leeched from your enemies). And you will want to look out for the following mods on the weapons you choose:

~ Attack Speed %
~ % Increased Damage
~ +x-xx Increased Physical Damage
(Try and stay away from elemental damage)

The last thing to think about that is often overlooked, (Especially as a new player to PoE) is the overall damage of the weapon.
Often times one glances at the damage of the weapon and uses that as the basis of which weapon they will use.
Some of the best advice I have come across brings this formula to mind:

Assume you have two maces-
The 1st mace does 150 damage and hits 2 times per second
The 2nd mace does 200 damage and hits 1.5 times per second
Both maces deal 300 damage per second, But surprisingly the second mace is better as it deals more damage per hit!

VII. VALUABLE UNIQUE'S FOR THE BUILD

Usually you will find your self with rares in the build (especially as a first build until you build up some IGC).
This is just a list of unique's that will serve you well should you come across them/towards end game once affordable.

AMULETS:
Astramentis – it adds about 100 to all Attributes.
Carnage Heart – huge boost to Attributes (~40), Life Leech (~8%) and Resistances (~15%), but has one drawback – 25% reduced maximum life.

BELTS:
The Magnate – gives 25% increased Physical Damage.
Meginord’s Girdle – awesome belt that grants boost to base physical damage and gives 10% increased maximum life.
Wurm’s Molt – nice belt, it adds mana leech (also life leech)

RINGS:
Kaom’s Sign – Adds +1 maximum Endurance Charge, so it is good for high physical damage maps/critter, but rings are generally better used for elemental reistances.
Le Heup of All- It has generally everything we need (damage, Attributes, Resistances) except life.

BODY ARMOR:
Carcass Jack – An Armor designed directly for groundslammers – it grants armor, life resistances, some damage and radius of area skill.
Kaom’s Hearth – 1000 base health is further multiplied and results in about 2,500 additional health.
Tabula Rasa – just if you want 6L as fast as possible

HELMETS:
Abyssus – Adds enormous 40-60 physical damage.
Ezomyte Peak – easy and simple source of life and damage.
Goldrim – cheap and easy source of elemental resistances

WEAPONS:
Geofri’s Baptism – An OVERPOWERED weapon that can serve you from 27 level even up to 50s-60s.
Mahori Erqi – Best weapon you can get – huge damage boost, and additionally increased Area of Effect.

** SPECIAL THANKS TO: RaveTheGo FOR HELPING ME WITH THE FINAL PRODUCT AND RESOURCES!

This post was edited by bodierox on Mar 28 2016 04:40pm
Gold: 0.00
Feb 1 2014 10:46am
nicely written, easy to look at.
just one thing, why not use life leech instead of life on hit with heavy strike?
can't open the link so can't say anything about tree.

This post was edited by msbrz on Feb 1 2014 10:46am
Feb 1 2014 11:08am
Quote (msbrz @ Feb 1 2014 10:46am)
just one thing, why not use life leech instead of life on hit with heavy strike?

What do you mean by you cannot open the link?

and the reason for using life gain on hit over life leech is that
(especially as a new player) in the early stages of the game when your DPS is lower, life gain
on hit is much more advantageous than life leech.

you can if you wish, (once your DPS is high enough to make it effective enough), swap it out w/ Life Leech :)
Gold: 0.00
Feb 1 2014 12:29pm
Quote (bodierox @ Feb 1 2014 07:08pm)
What do you mean by you cannot open the link?

i mean i get an empty skill tree with 120 pts to spend
Feb 1 2014 12:39pm
Quote (msbrz @ Feb 1 2014 12:29pm)
i mean i get an empty skill tree with 120 pts to spend

ty for feedback fixing this :)
Gold: 8.00
Feb 1 2014 01:31pm
Quote (msbrz @ Feb 1 2014 11:46am)

Life leech is better for rare mobs in my experience and life on hit owns for pack damage skills
Gold: 1,294.50
Feb 1 2014 05:49pm
Quote (msbrz @ Feb 1 2014 12:46pm)

Life gain on hit is better until you reach atleast 1k Dps :)
assuming this a first character guide you wont be getting 1k dps until like a2 cruel i assume

Gold: 243.86
Feb 1 2014 10:56pm
Waiting on the tree to start working :)
Gold: 27,503.01
Feb 2 2014 03:01pm
Sticky this.
Feb 2 2014 03:35pm
Quote (Barn3y_Gumble @ Feb 2 2014 03:01pm)
Sticky this.

Is sticky'd here http://forums.d2jsp.org/topic.php?t=66770205&f=110

Ty for the support :)
Go Back To Strategy & Guides Topic List
12Next
Add Reply New Topic