d2jsp
d2jsp Forums > Off-Topic > General Chat > User Blogs > Houston, Texas Sports Blog
Prev18910
Add Reply New Topic
Gold: 3.60
Mar 4 2015 02:49am
The Rockets dropped to 41-19 on the season with an expected albeit disappointing 104-96 loss at Atlanta. With James Harden serving his one game suspension because of the "kicking LeBron James in the groin" incident nobody really expected the Rockets to defeat the best record team in the NBA this year, on the road no less, as the Atlanta Hawks improved their record to an impressive 48-12 on the season.

What was surprising is how well the Rockets did play for most of the game despite not having their two best players. The Rockets actually led by as many as 17 points in the first half and they had a 10-point lead (90-80) with 6:58 left in the game. The ageless Jason "the jet" Terry produced a team high 21 points, Terrence Jones scored 18 points with 8 rebounds and 3 blocks. Josh Smith and Donatas Motiejunas both added 14 points apiece.

The amazing Atlanta Hawks ended the game on a strong 24-to-6 run to overcome an under-manned Rockets team which looked completely exhausted at the end. The Rockets could have used James Harden and Dwight Howard to try and defeat the best team in the league. It's hard to finish games without your two best players especially on the road against a great team. The Rockets are very capable of getting by with James Harden and no Dwight Howard but to not have Harden, this year's likely MVP, is a loss they simply couldn't overcome.

Hopefully the Rockets find a way to beat the Memphis Grizzlies tonight at the Toyota Center. Tip-Off time is at 7:05 PM. A win tonight would pull the Rockets to only one game back in the loss column from the Memphis Grizzlies (42-17) for the second seed in the Western Conference as well as first place in the Southwest division. With James Harden well rested and ready to return tonight I expect the Rockets to come out and pick up a win in front of the hometown fans.

After tonight's game there will only be 21 games left to play for the Houston Rockets this season. The playoffs are quickly approaching and Dwight Howard is nearing a return from his right knee injury. He's making progress and the plan is for him to return in two or three more weeks. I'm still very proud of this year's Rockets team for overcoming so much adversity this season. Whether they end up with the 2nd, 3rd, 4th or even 5th seed in the playoffs I'm excited to see what happens with a healthy squad. At this point the playoff seeding doesn't really matter to me as much as the importance of being healthy once the 2015 NBA Playoffs start on Saturday, April 18.
Mar 8 2015 03:33am
After two tough losses in a row against the Hawks and Grizzlies, which featured a controversial ending in a two-point loss, the Rockets were able to bounce back with two wins in a row against less talented teams in the Pistons and Nuggets. It all adds up to a 43-20 record and feels a little bittersweet to me.

I was definitely disappointed with that 102-100 loss against the Memphis Grizzlies because the Rockets blew a chance to move into the second seed in the Western Conference and first place in the Southwest division. The NBA league office admitted the next day that the officials missed Zach Randolph's slap on the arm of James Harden that could have given the Rockets the lead with 6.4 seconds left in the game. Instead play went on and the Grizzlies ended up hitting the game-winning shot on a Marc Gasol mid-range jumper with one-tenth of a second (0.01) remaining.

Nothing can be done about the past now. An apology from the NBA League office and those officials missing the call will hurt their chances of working a bigger playoff series (all NBA officials are graded the entire season), but it won't take away that tough loss in the standings. With only 19 games left to play this season the Rockets' playoff seeding is up for grabs as Dwight Howard nears a healthy return likely during the final 10 games.

At 43-20 the Rockets are still maintaining the third overall seed in the Western Conference playoff race: Two losses worse than the Memphis Grizzlies. I think they blew their chance to pass Memphis for the second seed and win their division with that tough loss the other night. But the Rockets have a pair of tough games coming up: A back-to-back on the road Wednesday Night at Portland (10:35 PM Eastern on ESPN) and Thursday Night at Salt Lake City, Utah against the Jazz.

Three days off until that next game at Portland but if the Rockets can pick up those two road wins on back-to-back nights to win four games in a row and improve to 45-20, I think that can help them be in a prime spot to claim that third seed which would be pretty good considering they've been without their second best player for most of the season. Not much to discuss about the Houston Rockets until Wednesday and Thursday Night.

In the mean time the 2015 Houston Astros continue to play their early spring training schedule as they await Opening Day on Monday, April 6 against the Cleveland Indians at Minute Maid Park. The first pitch is scheduled at 7:05 PM Eastern and will be a nationally televised game on ESPN. I am planning to attend that season opener as I sit field level on the third base side over the dugout.
Mar 9 2015 02:43pm
The Houston Texans released future hall of fame wide receiver Andre Johnson. I don't think it's even a debate as to whether or not he'll be inducted into the hall of fame despite his lack of Touchdowns. He was the best player in franchise history up to this point in time although J.J. Watt will likely surpass him in the future. Turning 34 years old at the start of the 2015 season Andre Johnson just wants to play for a Super Bowl contender with the few good years he has left.

It's unfortunate he played on many bad Houston teams since his rookie season and he never really played with a consistently good quarterback. By releasing Andre Johnson the Texans saved a little over $8 million dollars in salary cap space this off-season. This move was expected for a month now but it became official a few hours ago.

I hope Andre Johnson ends up with a team that has an elite quarterback and is capable of winning a Super Bowl. Like Tom Brady and the New England Patriots for example. That would be my ideal preference to see him end his career. But the Packers and Seahawks, two NFC teams with amazing quarterbacks and Super Bowl winning pedigree, would also be a good fit. Maybe even the Denver Broncos so he can re-unite with Gary Kubiak and also play with Peyton Manning. I wouldn't even rule out the Colts or Ravens. It is anybody's guess where Andre Johnson will end up but he's likely to sign with a Super Bowl contender that has an elite quarterback.

Speaking of quarterbacks, the Houston Texans re-signed Ryan Mallett (two years and $7 million) and they also are close to signing free agent Brian Hoyer. Both of them have experience working with Bill O'Brien from their New England days and Ryan Mallett played in three games for the Texans last year before a season-ending injury. I've always liked Brian Hoyer myself and Ryan Mallett has played well when healthy albeit sample size. At the very least they can push each other for the starting job. I think both of those guys could be more then serviceable at the quarterback position for what is looking like a rebuilding Texans offense for 2015. Ryan Fitzpatrick will likely be the odd man out.

We have a lot of young wide receivers and tight ends to go along with a new look offensive line. Chris Myers, a two-time pro bowl center was also released. I'm also not sure how much Arian Foster has left in the tank. He's been injury prone the past two seasons (11 games missed). Bill O'Brien inherited a 2-14 team and went a respectable 9-7 as a rookie head coach in the NFL. The defense, specifically J.J. Watt, made big plays in at least seven of those wins. The Texans nearly made the playoffs despite playing four different quarterbacks and not having a healthy Jadeveon Clowney on defense, their number one overall pick last year.

Going into year two Bill O'Brien is turning this offense into his system and it should be fun to watch moving forward. At least in the long term. I expect some tough times in 2015 with some inexperienced wide receivers. DeAndre Hopkins is ready to emerge as a number one go-to guy but after him there really isn't a whole lot. I expect the Texans to draft a wide receiver sometime in the first few rounds along with signing a free agent as well.

Defensively the Houston Texans are closer to piecing together a really good team. J.J. Watt is the best defensive player in the game and Jadeveon Clowney is determined to contribute in his second season after an injury-plagued rookie season. The Texans also re-signed cornerback Kareem Jackson. Depending on Brian Cushing's health in 2015 the Texans defense has a chance to become a great unit. A lot depends on health and who they may still draft. Another young linebacker and free safety, possibly even cornerback, wouldn't hurt. I also feel a good nose tackle is essential in any 3-4 defense but I still have high hopes for the young Louis Nix III. He wasn't able to play as a rookie last year due to injury and he was placed on IR (injured reserve) during the pre-season. So between Clowney and Nix we didn't really have the chance to see just how dominating this young defense can become. But going into the 2015 season there is an abundance of young talent already on the Texans defense.

While it's a bittersweet day for fans of the Houston Texans the future is still very bright. Don't expect a Super Bowl contender going into the 2015 season, because let's face it our offense is going to be a work in progress, but what you will see is a very competitive team. I don't like to predict records but they shouldn't be much worse, and possibly even slightly better, than the 9-7 team they were last year. Andre Johnson's departure is the end of an era for Texans Football (2003 to 2014). It's time to move on which is what all NFL teams do. It's a cutthroat business that doesn't care about what you did in the past but only what you can do right now and in the future.

This post was edited by Madmartigan on Mar 9 2015 02:45pm
Mar 12 2015 04:15pm
I don't want to spend too much time discussing Andre Johnson's recent signing with the Indianapolis Colts. That was the one team that no Houston fan wanted to see him sign with. It's a slap in the face to see a franchise icon signing with a division rival. Well technically speaking the Colts aren't even considered as a rivalry team with the Texans because it's been a one-sided series.

Since their expansion season in 2002, the Texans have gone a dismal 4-22 against the Colts, including a winless 0-13 record against them at Indianapolis. It's mind boggling that we're going into the 2015 season still searching for a road win against the Indianapolis Colts. Andre Johnson will always have a special place in my heart for what he did for the Houston Texans organization, especially with his charitable work off the field, but it's going to feel really disappointing and awkward seeing him playing against the Texans twice a year in the AFC South. I'll be happy to see him reach the Pro Football Hall of Fame one day in Canton, Ohio. But until then I can no longer cheer for what he does on the field.

The Houston Rockets are struggling in recent games having gone 2-3 in their last 5 games. James Harden has had a few bad shooting games and despite that a few of those losses came down to the final seconds. But the good news is Dwight Howard said yesterday he's feeling great and his right knee is strong again. He's been working out and practicing with the team on their recent road trip. He said he will return in 10 to 14 more days. So that is why I'm not truly concerned with some of these recent losses and what playoff seeding the Rockets will end up with. They will finally have a healthy team just in time for the playoffs. It's been a long season already and I'm excited for the 2015 NBA Playoffs to start next month.
Mar 18 2015 05:35am
The Houston Texans have recovered quite nicely in free agency after losing starting wideout Andre Johnson and outside linebacker Brooks Reed. I would call it their best free agent class in quite some time if not ever. They were able to sign free safety Rahim Moore from the Broncos, nose tackle Vince Wilfork from the defending Super Bowl champion Patriots and wide receiver Cecil Shorts from division rival Jacksonville. I expect all three players to contribute big things during the 2015 regular season.

Some would say, "The Texans still don't have a quarterback" but they re-signed Ryan Mallett and also signed free agent Brian Hoyer. Two guys who know Bill O'Brien's system and worked with him before in New England. We have Tom Brady's two former backups which isn't saying much but I believe one of them will step up and win the starting job in 2015. These two veterans will allow third-stringer Tom Savage to continue to develop at his own pace. The fourth-round rookie looked lost and confused during the limited time he played last season. He was obviously not ready to play quarterback in the NFL.

If Brian Cushing and Jadeveon Clowney can stay healthy the Texans may have the best defense in the league this season. Opposing offenses will struggle to maintain J.J. Watt, who's the best defensive player in the game, and still using two blockers just to slow down a five-time pro bowler and 330-pound beast like Vince Wilfork at nose tackle. All of that disruption up front in a 3-4 defense will allow defensive coordinator Romeo Crennel to be more aggressive with his play-calling and blitzing schemes. The four linebackers will be free to roam around unblocked if Watt and Wilfork command four to five blockers. They will dominate their man if it's one on one.

There were times last season when teams would not only double team J.J. Watt but on occasion they used three blockers just to make sure he didn't reach the quarterback. During a 17-10 Colts win against the Texans at Indianapolis late last season (a game I was most proud of the Texans even though they lost), Andrew Luck threw a 26-yard Touchdown pass to Hakeem Nicks, which turned out to be the game-winning score. On that particular play the Colts used three blockers on J.J. Watt because the Texans had no other defensive player who commanded any attention. Now with the addition of Wilfork and a healthy return from Cushing and Clowney, I don't expect to see Watt "triple teamed"all that often anymore much less double teamed.

Coming off a successful 9-7 record during his rookie campaign as head coach in 2014, Bill O'Brien has the Houston Texans on the right path to becoming a playoff contender. They just missed the playoffs last season. A lot of the all-time greatest head coaches in NFL history struggled with bad records their first year and O'Brien actually did well.

With the 2015 NFL draft still looming the Texans are in a position to draft the best player available in the early rounds. Although I expect them to draft a wide receiver and outside linebacker during the first and second round. They still have to replace two starters in Andre Johnson and Brooks Reed. I view Cecil Shorts as more of that third option and slot guy. At 27 years old he'll be a nice veteran we can lean on for some tough catches especially inside the red zone. We still need to develop another young wide receiver who can learn and grow with Hopkins. Somebody with good size and speed like DeVante Parker out of Louisville: 6'3, 210 pounds and a 60-inch wingspan. If he's still on the board at pick #16 in the first round he'd be a no-brainer selection for the Houston Texans. If not, I'd go ahead and draft the best outside linebacker in the first round and take a wide receiver in the second round.
Mar 18 2015 06:14am
Despite some obvious struggles and an average 4-4 record in their last 8 games the Houston Rockets have improved to a respectable 45-22 record during their unpredictable and exciting 2014-2015 season. Just 15 games left to play before the 2015 NBA Playoffs start. They have to run the table for an elusive 60 wins, which would be a franchise record (58-24 in 1993-1994 was their best season), but 55 wins is probably where they are going to end up if I had to guess.

Looking at our remaining schedule at least 10 of the final 15 appear to be tough games against good teams. Dwight Howard has to take advantage of some limited regular-season games left just so he can get back into "game shape" before the playoffs start. He's been looking good in practices during this past week. He says there is no longer any pain in his right knee. I doubt he'll play against the Nuggets tomorrow night but he really should. At least ease his way back in against a bad team. I know he's still a week away from a return.

I thought the Rockets were pretty much locked in for that 4th seed with 22 losses already. But apparently the Grizzlies and Trail Blazers both lost their last game and have 21 losses apiece. The Rockets can still leap frog both teams and jump into that 2nd or 3rd seed. Unfortunately, I'm not sure if we own the tiebreakers anymore. It's a real shame we lost a couple of heartbreakers the last time we played the Trail Blazers and Grizzlies. Both were winnable games we allowed to slip through our grasp. Had we won those two games we'd be comfortably in that 2nd seed right now and close to clinching a playoff spot with only 15 games left. The 9th place team already has 30 losses. So we have an 8-game cushion in the loss column in terms of clinching a playoff berth.

James Harden has made a strong case for the 2014-2015 NBA MVP award. I'm not sure what more he could have done with Dwight Howard, the second best player on the team and the highest-paid player on the team, out for most of the season. He still led the Rockets to a strong record and has them in position to end up with home court advantage in at least the first round of the playoffs and possibly, knock on wood, the second round as well. For a franchise that has only been to the second round of the playoffs twice since 1997, I'm not going to set myself up for another disappointment. I'd rather take that underdog mentality and be surprised when and if it actually happens.

What I admire the most about this year's Rockets team is how they have been a blue-collar squad. They could have easily given up and used injuries as an excuse but instead they still maintained one of the better records in the league despite dealing with so much adversity. Teams can really grow from those constant battles within. The Rockets will be battle tested once the playoffs start. Some people would call NBA Hall of Famer, Kevin McHale, a bad head coach, but he's gotten the absolute most production out of the team this year. He has earned that three-year contract extension. There is nothing negative you can say about what the Rockets have accomplished this season regardless of what happens in the playoffs. They've done more than I thought was possible under the circumstances.
Apr 7 2015 05:51am
The Houston Astros defeated the Cleveland Indians 2-0 to open up their 2015 season. Dallas Keuchel tossed a three-hit shutout over seven innings. He pitched out of a few jams, walking three and striking out four, and looked every bit as good as the Astros ace. Tony Sipp pitched a scoreless eighth inning and newly signed closer Luke Gregerson notched his first save of the season with a 1-2-3 ninth.

The Astros only offense came from a George Springer RBI single in the bottom of the 6th, after Jose Altuve sparked a two-out rally with a blooper into center field and then stole second base, and Jake Marisnick added a sacrifice fly a few innings later which proved to be more than enough. Tuesday is a rare off day during this three-game series. The two teams will play again on Wednesday Night.
Go Back To User Blogs Topic List
Prev18910
Add Reply New Topic