d2jsp
d2jsp Forums > Off-Topic > General Chat > Culinary Arts > Culinary Exploits > Esccl
Prev123421Next
Add Reply New Topic New Poll
Gold: 1,113.99
Oct 31 2013 04:21pm
Recently I tried some beef dry fried hofun at home :drool:
Gold: 22,202.22
Oct 31 2013 04:54pm
i made two things today. first was just a quick antipasto. the other chef walked in with a couple tomatoes from the bushes he planted outside, so i figured that would be a good thing to try out the tarragon oil i made for the second dish. i took one, sliced it, salted it, topped with a bit of mozzarella and a touch of pepper then broiled them. plated and drizzled with the oil. for some reason it doesnt look so vibrant on the plate, and it spread out a lot instead of staying in one place, but in the bottle the oil is a nice vibrant green. (ill take a pic of that tomorrow.) was tasty, though.

looks a bit meh, but meh. was spur of the moment, hadnt planned on it. there was something else i was going to do, but that didnt work out, ill have to do it another time.

the main project for the day was a chicken roulade stuffed with beef and sauteed onions mushrooms and red pepper, seasoned with tarragon, marjoram, s/p, cumin, coriander. the stuffing came out great, although the chicken was a little dry in the end. probably overcooked it, ill try doing it a bit less next time. also, ill try brining the chicken first. served with pan roasted tomatoes on the vine, frisee, the tarragon oil and a soy sauce based sauce.

Gold: 8,224.05
Oct 31 2013 05:43pm
Try using skin on breast next time to avoid dryness? skinless chicken breast is bound to be dry imo...
Gold: 6,000.00
Oct 31 2013 08:49pm
Quote (ReturnFormer @ Oct 31 2013 05:54pm)
i made two things today.  first was just a quick antipasto.  the other chef walked in with a couple tomatoes from the bushes he planted outside, so i figured that would be a good thing to try out the tarragon oil i made for the second dish.  i took one, sliced it, salted it, topped with a bit of mozzarella and a touch of pepper then broiled them.  plated and drizzled with the oil.  for some reason it doesnt look so vibrant on the plate, and it spread out a lot instead of staying in one place, but in the bottle the oil is a nice vibrant green.  (ill take a pic of that tomorrow.)  was tasty, though.

http://i962.photobucket.com/albums/ae109/returnformer/tomatoapp_zps991f6c21.jpg

looks a bit meh, but meh.  was spur of the moment, hadnt planned on it.  there was something else i was going to do, but that didnt work out, ill have to do it another time.

the main project for the day was a chicken roulade stuffed with beef and sauteed onions mushrooms and red pepper, seasoned with tarragon, marjoram, s/p, cumin, coriander.  the stuffing came out great, although the chicken was a little dry in the end.  probably overcooked it, ill try doing it a bit less next time.  also, ill try brining the chicken first.  served with pan roasted tomatoes on the vine, frisee, the tarragon oil and a soy sauce based sauce.

http://i962.photobucket.com/albums/ae109/returnformer/roulade_zpscf99ed94.jpg

yum that chicken roulade looks tasty
Oct 31 2013 09:04pm
Quote (hofx2 @ Oct 31 2013 06:43pm)
Try using skin on breast next time to avoid dryness? skinless chicken breast is bound to be dry imo...

i might try that next time we get whole breasts, but i dont think its necessary. i make moist skinless chicken breasts all the time. it might be easier with the skin on, but its not impossible without. overcooking it is the bigger issue imo. the main thing, like marco pierre white once said, is to know when to stop cooking. chicken breast dries out really fast if you overcook it so youve gotta be on top of it and know exactly when to take it out. the problem with a roulade like this, with a core that needs full cooking, is that by the time the core cooks the chicken is way overcooked, like cooking a roast to medium by conventional methods. sous vide would be the way to go for these, which is easy since theyre already wrapped in plastic for cooking. itll just take longer to cook. i didnt have the time for that today, though, i got started on em too close to when i leave. originally i was gonna do em on the stovetop simmered, but i ended up sticking em in a [covered] hotel pan filled with water in the oven on 300 for about 40 min, i think. next time ill try the same method, but at 150-200 for maybe an hour. maybe check one at 45 min to see core temp. at that temp, itll probably take an hour or more for the core to heat up, though.
Gold: 8,224.05
Oct 31 2013 10:27pm
Yes you can cook skinless chicken not too dry, and make it good , but if u take a piece with skin and a piece without skin and cook to the exact same temperature, i can guarantee you that the one who cooked with skin will be more juicy and flavorful..
Gold: 655.00
Oct 31 2013 11:14pm
Quote (ReturnFormer @ Oct 31 2013 06:54pm)
http://i962.photobucket.com/albums/ae109/returnformer/tomatoapp_zps991f6c21.jpg

looks a bit meh, but meh. was spur of the moment, hadnt planned on it. there was something else i was going to do, but that didnt work out, ill have to do it another time.

id think some minced basil parsely and peppers sprinkled overtop would have added some color and some itilian seasoning to bring the whole thing together into almost a deconstructed tomato sauce. maybe a basil leaf in a corner to fancy the whole thing up alittle.
Gold: 28,753.00
Nov 1 2013 11:57am
Full stainless counter top?

This is at your house?
Gold: 6,840.19
Trader: Trusted
Nov 1 2013 12:17pm
Quote (joshd21 @ Nov 1 2013 01:57pm)

This is at your house?

:P Did you read the first post?

Quote (ReturnFormer @ Oct 29 2013 01:51pm)
this time of year ive got a bit more free time at work, so ill have more time for experimenting, so im making a thread for posting the results.  be sure to check back now and again for the latest.

This post was edited by Dawwghogg on Nov 1 2013 12:18pm
Nov 1 2013 12:57pm
Quote (Ylem122 @ Nov 1 2013 12:14am)
id think some minced basil parsely and peppers sprinkled overtop would have added some color and some itilian seasoning to bring the whole thing together into almost a deconstructed tomato sauce.  maybe a basil leaf in a corner to fancy the whole thing up alittle.

thats a good idea. maybe some breadcrumbs sprinkled on as well to make like an inverse pizza. could even use pizza crust crumbs.

Quote (joshd21 @ Nov 1 2013 12:57pm)

This is at your house?

Quote (Dawwghogg @ Nov 1 2013 01:17pm)
:P Did you read the first post?

actually, the second pic (the curry) IS at my house. while technically we do have a kitchen cart thing with a stainless top, thats used as a general depository and cover in stuff. for the pic, i flipped over a sheet pan on the stovetop. it looks like kinda like ss, probably because of the lighting, but its aluminum.

oh, and heres the oil in the bottle. looks much nicer there, but thats probably because colors deepen the wider the container. probably part of the reason it didnt get as nice a color as it was supposed to is because i had to make it in a food processor as we dont have a blender at work, and a food proc wont ground stuff as fine, which in this case would mean not getting as much color/flavor out of it.

This post was edited by ReturnFormer on Nov 1 2013 01:05pm
Go Back To Culinary Arts Topic List
Prev123421Next
Add Reply New Topic New Poll