d2jsp
d2jsp Forums > Off-Topic > Sports Coliseum > Golf > Newbie Golfer Questions
Add Reply New Topic New Poll
Gold: 1,247.73
Jul 17 2013 12:09am
so i picked up the game about 3 years ago and have progressed nicely learning on my own but lately i have been having some issues that i cant figure out. so here i turn to golf forum.

as with most beginners, i started off by just swinging wildly and had the massive banana slice. i began trying to control that from the tee first and work on the irons later, as the irons were short but straight. i continually find something that works for a round or two or a few holes but then its anyones guess what would happen. i could bomb it straight away 300. i could pull it dead left about 300 and 50yds left. or i get a skyhigh 200yd slice.however i have not been able to hit a good drive for the last month! it is all the banana sky slice all the time!

which leads to my next topic. my irons have become really solid and really long over that same time period. to the extent that my 3hybrid that i had hit well once in 2 years in now one of my best clubs in my bag and i use it from the tee, averaging between 210-245. it plays a slight cut so i can control it easily. but my 7/8 have both stretched from 150/170 to 175/200 in yardage at full blast respectively. and i have been hitting them with accuracy from fairway or rough.

is there a correlation to my struggles from the tee and my iron success? my thinking is that i am not releasing my left wrist the way i was before on my drive. however i have tried to focus on letting it release sooner and i end up topping the ball.

just kinda lost on how the drive game is completely gone, yet the iron game is very strong.

i have yet to put the drive and iron game together yet but i shoot in the 90-105 range before the recent events. just to give an idea of where i am in my "teach myself golf" project.

thx for any help
Gold: 6.00
Jul 17 2013 05:15am
Couple random newbie tips when driving. Since we. In the same boat! Lmao

Following through is very important
Try standing a little futher from the ball
Even try turning in the club's face, if that works then there's a problem with your hands.

Also, decrease power and try to swing more controlled instead of just trying to hit the ball.

This post was edited by Nictorius on Jul 17 2013 05:25am
Gold: 155.00
Jul 17 2013 06:13am
Actually try standing closer to the ball...if you're further away it leaves a lot of room for error. Obviously not as close as you would on irons though.

Are you left or right handed?

If right handed then on your drives have the back of your left hand facing your aimed direction.
Go to the range and work on pulling with your left side and EVERY TIME making sure the back of your hand is facing your target at the time of contact.
You can also change up your grip, turn your right hand in a tiny bit at a time (to where it feels comfortable during swing).

As Nictorius said take slow controlled swings first..get the ball straightened out then slowly add more power.

Golf is a game of patience and practice...even the smallest changes can make a world of a difference.

gL

This post was edited by iRTB on Jul 17 2013 06:14am
Gold: 0.90
Jul 17 2013 09:08am
You're getting crazy distance with your irons, I find it somehow hard to believe for a newbie:

And for the slice, you probably have an inward swing path
Jul 17 2013 12:42pm
Quote (Nictorius @ Jul 17 2013 07:15am)
Couple random newbie tips when driving. Since we. In the same boat! Lmao

Following through is very important
Try standing a little futher from the ball
Even try turning in the club's face, if that works then there's a problem with your hands.

Also, decrease power and try to swing more controlled instead of just trying to hit the ball.

i have tried most of these things, including the decreased power, focusing on the path and still no results. ty for helping tho

Quote (iRTB @ Jul 17 2013 08:13am)
Actually try standing closer to the ball...if you're further away it leaves a lot of room for error. Obviously not as close as you would on irons though.

Are you left or right handed?

If right handed then on your drives have the back of your left hand facing your aimed direction.
Go to the range and work on pulling with your left side and EVERY TIME making sure the back of your hand is facing your target at the time of contact.
You can also change up your grip, turn your right hand in a tiny bit at a time (to where it feels comfortable during swing).

As Nictorius said take slow controlled swings first..get the ball straightened out then slowly add more power.

Golf is a game of patience and practice...even the smallest changes can make a world of a difference.

gL

i am right handed and that might be the problem, my grip. the few drives i have hit lately not a banana slice have been dead pulls. maybe im not focusing enough on my grip with the driver as i do with my irons. i will try this out. ty for the help!

Quote (Meatstick @ Jul 17 2013 11:08am)
You're getting crazy distance with your irons, I find it somehow hard to believe for a newbie:

And for the slice, you probably have an inward swing path

as i said, my irons have always been the best part of my game. originally short (100yd 9iron/125 8 iron/150 7iron) they have gotten longer with each year. last year they were 120/140/165 and this year they are 140/165/200 range. i believe this has to do with an improved stance over my irons, as well as a more controlled swing. confidence in them helps as well :)

as far as inward swing path, i have had issues with this. however during this recent stretch, i have tried to play a draw off the tee using a very low angle/outside in swingpath and still the same result. i think IRTB has a good lead with a problem with my hand setup. i might need to turn my left hand over a little bit more or pull my right hand a little farther off.

ill be trying these things out in the next few days so ill let you know then. until then feel free to post more thoughts.

thx guys
Gold: 1.00
Jul 18 2013 12:04pm
I had problems with my driver aswell, ended up with shortening the shaft 1 inch.
For me it gives me the control I need without losing that much distance. I prefer hitting it straight and 5 yard shorter :)
Jul 18 2013 08:46pm
Quote (Kompie @ Jul 18 2013 02:04pm)
I had problems with my driver aswell, ended up with shortening the shaft 1 inch.
For me it gives me the control I need without losing that much distance. I prefer hitting it straight and 5 yard shorter :)

this is something that i might think about but im worried that it will lead me to use the iron swing as opposed to the driver swing and i will be still banana slicing.

havnt made it out yet to try the other suggestions but i will be within the next couple days
Gold: 3,294.00
Jul 19 2013 04:12am
I feel we are the same on this. I'm strong and accurate with my ironstone good height. Every day I golf I do something new with h
My driving and nothing eve works. Some days I feel it does work and then the next time it doesn't. Iv been doing alright with playing the ball at my left foot while I lean back a little ( pry bad idea but it's been working). Play the ball middle or slightly out side of the driver head. Also don't swing the driver up in down like ur irons make sure it's more across your back. This is most likely worst advice you can get but it has been working for me. I don't slice when I get a bad shot I'm more shooting left and right( sucks) my ball doesn't slice.
Gold: 0.00
Jul 20 2013 11:07pm
Slice = open face club at downward swing or your end swing is going right of the target. I assume you're right handed.

You're probably trying to "blast it" or holding it too stiff. Do some slow practice swings beforehand and see where your alignment is.
Jul 21 2013 12:20am
Quote (ainokea @ Jul 21 2013 01:07am)
Slice = open face club at downward swing or your end swing is going right of the target. I assume you're right handed.

You're probably trying to "blast it" or holding it too stiff. Do some slow practice swings beforehand and see where your alignment is.

thats the thing, if i try to play 85-95% of any club, i end up spraying to the right. perhaps it is my alignment as well as my hands. couldnt get out today because of work but hopefully tomorrow
Go Back To Golf Topic List
Add Reply New Topic New Poll