d2jsp
d2jsp Forums > Off-Topic > Entertainment Room > Favorite Songs & Bands > Industrial Music > Industrial Rock And Electro-industrial
Prev1151617
Add Reply New Topic New Poll
Gold: 22,202.22
Sep 21 2014 08:48pm
Quote (NatureNames @ Sep 21 2014 08:23pm)
In my opinion KMFDM is industrial or industrial rock. Same with 1985-1990 Ministry, and 1990s Nine Inch Nails. Just because somebody decided to put these bands names on a Wikipedia article with the source being some random magazine articles, doesn't make them definitively metal. Its just somebody's opinion. Just like you and I have different opinions. I grew up listening to those bands and in the 90s nobody ever called them "industrial metal". That phrase didn't exist in 1986-2000. I'm not sure were people got the notion that they are suddenly metal now.

i didnt base my selections off wikipedia, i based them off my own knowledge/opinion. the riffs kmfdm are much more metal riffs than rock riffs. which would make them technically industrial-metal. so why werent they called that? simple, the term wasnt around yet. but once it was, it can retroactively be applied to them. similarly, theyre not even industrial. real plain industrial is the old stuff like skinny puppy, throbbing gristle, etc. the more recent stuff like kmfdm, nin, and stuff like this - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sOOk8P6WVbY is more accurately called electro-industrial. but its usually just called industrial. both for simplicity's sake and because when it first started coming out the term didnt exist. same for industrial-metal. the fact that the term didnt exist at first doesnt change what the music is.

pretty much anytime you start mixing genres describing it is going to get muddled. the term industrial-metal seems to fit pretty well to me, though, idk why people seem so touchy about it.

Quote (NatureNames @ Sep 21 2014 08:23pm)
Sounds like metal to me. In any case, I hadn't intended this topic to be about anything relating to metal. Perhaps you could post this "metal with industrial elements" in a metal related topic.

like i said, its a metal base, but theres a definite industrial influence both in rhythm and synth elements.
Gold: 6,969.69
Sep 22 2014 04:48pm
Quote (ReturnFormer @ 21 Sep 2014 19:48)
so why werent they called that?  simple, the term wasnt around yet.  but once it was, it can retroactively be applied to them.

I'm no longer going to call them "organs," but rather, "body-fluid processors." I'm no longer going to call it a "skeleton," but rather a "muscle frame." :P

Sorry man, but retroactively labeling bands that are in an existing genre just seems ridiculous to me. To me, that'd be like reclassifying Georges Seurat's Pointillism paintings as "Manual Dot-Matrix."
Sep 22 2014 07:58pm
Quote (ChowYunFat @ Sep 22 2014 05:48pm)
I'm no longer going to call them "organs," but rather, "body-fluid processors."  I'm no longer going to call it a "skeleton," but rather a "muscle frame."  :P

Sorry man, but retroactively labeling bands that are in an existing genre just seems ridiculous to me.  To me, that'd be like reclassifying Georges Seurat's Pointillism paintings as "Manual Dot-Matrix."

except that noone calls anything a body-fluid processor or muscle frame. a more accurate comparison would be going from calling them organs to calling them heart, liver, pancreas, etc. youre going from something less descriptive to something more descriptive. if you still want to call them organs, you can, but it doesnt change the fact that its a heart.

im gonna take nin - broken as an example (in part because someone on another site said that while he doesnt even consider it industrial at all, being more metal-focused.) nin is generally referred to as playing industrial, usually including broken. the term industrial-metal would be much more accurate in describing broken, however. when broken came out though, i dont think the term existed yet, so ofc noone ever thought to label it that. does it fit within the bounds of industrial-metal, though? absolutely. just people dont generally think of it as that since theyre already used to just calling it industrial.
Sep 22 2014 08:34pm
interesting, never knew reznor did a remix of a p-diddy song:

Go Back To Favorite Songs & Bands Topic List
Prev1151617
Add Reply New Topic New Poll