d2jsp
d2jsp Forums > Off-Topic > Sports Coliseum > Health & Fitness > John Sirmons -- AMA And Advice Thread > Competitive Powerlifter / Personal Trainer
Prev167891021Next
Add Reply New Topic New Poll
Gold: 686.00
May 31 2013 01:15pm
Quote (teh_bishop @ 31 May 2013 07:58)
They recommend decrease the weight 10% then continue adding weight as you normally would, rinse repeat if you stall again. Guess i answered my own question there.
With the accessory work you say it's VERY important, none of the madcow, stronglifts, SS etc mention doing any small muscle group accessory type work.
Would you recommend adding some additional exercises? How would I incorporate this?

Currently what I do is
A,B,A    B,A,B
A: Squat, Bench, Dead
B: Squat, OHP, row all 5x5

Numbers if this helps give you an Idea if i should continue on the same program are (in KG) Squat 110, Bench 85, OHP 62.5, DL 140. All 5x5
Cheers for the advice.

I am also wondering what additional excercises you would reccommend for the 5x5 schedule.
Retired Moderator
Gold: 355.06
Trader: Trusted
May 31 2013 02:17pm
Here is a good hip flexor stretch

Gold: 0.00
Warn: 10%
May 31 2013 03:28pm
Hey John

I know hypertrophy us not your best field, but what's your take on full body for hypertrophy?

I used to workout last year 5 days a week with squat, OHP, dips, and pull ups (and some complementary work like GHR).

Do you think a split routine would be better?

/edit. So tl dr does working every muscle a little every day yield the same results in my opinion? I packed on a hell of a lit of weight, but I don't know if I'd have been better off with a traditional wendler.--

This post was edited by ThomasPaine on May 31 2013 03:29pm
Gold: 217.20
Jun 2 2013 10:06am
Ive seen a lot of your videos

very impressive m8

Retired Moderator
Jun 2 2013 03:22pm
Quote (Welterweight @ May 31 2013 01:32am)
Thanks for the thorough response!  I know exactly who Matt Brown is, and a very respectable fighter as well.  It's as I feared...the diet.  Being Greek, this is won't be easy with the diet, but it's doable since I normally walk around at 185 lbs+.  I'll have to focus on the cut then with what I've been doing, with mass cardio and endurance lifting since that's helped me get down to 165 without trouble.  I normally like to be in a fighting weight of 170 lbs which I feel is comfortable and perfect for my height.  I have tried 155 lbs also and that was a separate adventure.  145 lbs was too much, and will most likely never do that again.  I'll give all of this a try. 

The only questions I have are:
*What type of diet do you recommend the most? (Things to eat and not eat along with the appropriate level of grams of protein per day when I do plan to go back to 170).
*Any types of supplements to recommend?  More so for the muscle gaining, as I feel there's no need for any supplements for weight cutting.

Find out which one works for you. You could do a low fat high carb/protein, low carb, med fat high protein(I'd recommend this Ketogenic diet)
Supplements are important while cutting, too. They help you keep your hard earned muscle. Whats your budget?

Quote (teh_bishop @ May 31 2013 01:58am)
They recommend decrease the weight 10% then continue adding weight as you normally would, rinse repeat if you stall again. Guess i answered my own question there.
With the accessory work you say it's VERY important, none of the madcow, stronglifts, SS etc mention doing any small muscle group accessory type work.
Would you recommend adding some additional exercises? How would I incorporate this?

Currently what I do is
A,B,A    B,A,B
A: Squat, Bench, Dead
B: Squat, OHP, row all 5x5

Numbers if this helps give you an Idea if i should continue on the same program are (in KG) Squat 110, Bench 85, OHP 62.5, DL 140. All 5x5
Cheers for the advice.

I'd say do like 3 sets of 8-10..something for bis, tris shoulders, hams and lats. If you can finish the workout fast enough on leg day, do your add/adb muscles on the yes no machines.

To work that in, just after you finish up your main lifts throw them in. YOu dont need to overkill them yet, but they are important.

Quote (SagaBoi @ May 31 2013 03:38am)
is it bad to do two workouts in one day for instance say i missed my back day...can i do back in the morning than like legs when im off work in the afternoon?

Two a day workouts are great, but hard to recover from. Don't miss days if you can help it. You can do that, try it out and see what happens. A typical twice a day is the main lift in the morning with some accy movements, then at around 6-7 pm(for me) more accy to work on my weaknesses.

Quote (masterbagdragger @ May 31 2013 09:56am)
long story short

135 lbs - tried to bulk, ended up being a soft bulk, gained strength went up to ~200 lbs, took about a year, followed a 5x5 ss, for 4 months then completed jim stoppanni's stshred

started cutting in sept. 2012

cut untill dec 2012 went down to 160 lbs- used a strict 1,800 cal diet, work out was inverse pyramid scheme, mon-sat, chest/tris, back/bis/traps, legs/shoulders repeat

1 protein shake – 130 cals 24g protein, 1.5g fat, 4g carbs,
2/3 cup = 240 calories 40g carbs, 8g protein, 4 g fat
1 tbspoon peanut butter = 90 calories 7g fat, 3g carbs, 4g protein
1 scoop protein= 130 cal 24g protein 1.5g fat, 4g carbs
2 whole eggs = 140 calories 12g protein, 10g fat, 1g carbs
1 banana = 114 calories, 26g carb, 1g protein
6oz chicken = 240 calories 3g fat, 0 carbs, 48g protein
30g rice – 110 cals, 2g protein, 1g fat, 25g carbs
2 scoop protein shake = 260 calories, 48g protein, 3g fat, 8g carbs
30g cheese= 120 cals, 7g proten, 11g fat
100g ground beef = 210 calories, 20g protein, 15g fat

486 cal from fat 792 from protein 444 from carbs - would have a cheat meal every sunday or so but would still keep calories at 1800 or less

from around feb to end of march took it off as had a huge amount of work for university, gained about 8 lbs from that and lost

started beginning of april to cut again - down to 160 as of now - but this time doing a cyclical keto for now just have a carb load up on friday night/ untill saturday afternoon

doing that at 1,600 cals

pretty much the same as the above mentioned diet but with alot more green peppers/celery/lettuce and took out all carb sources (rice,apple,banana etc) and replaced with 30g serving of cheese or all natty pnb

getting approx 20-25g max carbs, 160 lbs of protein, the rest fats. also used keto stix to test keto, getting a range of trace-medium amount on the tests

down to 160 lbs now, and regained and my lifts are still consistent - bp- 170, squat- 250, dl - 315, military- 135 currently doing jim stoppani's stshred program,

now heres the problem, when is my bf around my waist going to go?

how can be 160 lbs, after losing all that weight and still have this?

200 lbs approx

http://i40.tinypic.com/6p2r1u.jpg

now

http://i39.tinypic.com/2wq8klk.jpg

http://i44.tinypic.com/2qdwk74.jpg

Stomach fat is normally the hardest to lose for guys. It also depends where you hold it, I also hold most of mine in my belly. There are some guys who hold it in their legs and belly. Most women hold it in their legs and butt.

The short story of how to lose the stomach fat is to just keep losing fat all together. You CAN NOT lose fat in only one area. You have to decrease it overall.

Keep it up, you've made good progress.
Retired Moderator
Jun 2 2013 03:25pm
Quote (Mesonychid @ May 31 2013 12:30pm)
What supplements are you speaking of? :o

There are a couple, I'll make a note to write about this in a little bit.

But long story short you need a spot on diet, and the supplements to help push you over the edge with it.

Quote (ThomasPaine @ May 31 2013 05:28pm)
Hey John

I know hypertrophy us not your best field, but what's your take on full body for hypertrophy?

I used to workout last year 5 days a week with squat, OHP, dips, and pull ups (and some complementary work like GHR).

Do you think a split routine would be better?

/edit. So tl dr does working every muscle a little every day yield the same results in my opinion? I packed on a hell of a lit of weight, but I don't know if I'd have been better off with a traditional wendler.--

hypertrophy is easy and I think i'm good at it.

Full body is hard to recover from, because you have only 1 CNS. I'd likely recommend a split of whatever you like. if you like full body, try working out 6 times a week, hitting each body part twice a week, I did that for around 5 months and really grew from it.

If that program is working though, don't change it. Keep riding it out so long as you aren't bored. bored = not fun and the whole point of weight training is to have fun

Quote (SquatsandOats @ Jun 2 2013 12:06pm)
Ive seen a lot of your videos

very impressive m8

Thanks dude

This post was edited by 7_Deadly_Sins on Jun 2 2013 03:25pm
Warn: 10%
Jun 2 2013 04:37pm
Quote (7_Deadly_Sins @ Jun 2 2013 04:25pm)
There are a couple, I'll make a note to write about this in a little bit.

But long story short you need a spot on diet, and the supplements to help push you over the edge with it.

hypertrophy is easy and I think i'm good at it.

Full body is hard to recover from, because you have only 1 CNS. I'd likely recommend a split of whatever you like. if you like full body, try working out 6 times a week, hitting each body part twice a week, I did that for around 5 months and really grew from it.

If that program is working though, don't change it. Keep riding it out so long as you aren't bored. bored = not fun and the whole point of weight training is to have fun

Thanks dude

Thanks for the insight John. Feels great to have somebody who's not preaching bullshit here.
Jun 5 2013 11:57am
I have another question for you

My barbell bench is fairly weak compared to my other compound lifts - i can almost incline more than i can flat

at the end of my bulk i had got my bench up to 200 for 2 reps max.

and that was nearly a years worth of work, whereas my dl/squat went up exponentially.

I also find that bbell bench is just an uncomfortable exercise for me to do - moved to doing dumbbells mainly and while i struggle to hit 160 on bbell flat now - i can manage to rep out 80 dbells for reps

what is your advice?
Gold: 10,760.00
Jun 6 2013 04:59am
What is more accurate in terms of macros for me..

At 5'10
76-77 kgs
18 years old
Male, bulking
Workout 3 times a week doing ICF routine. Nothing else other than that.

What dietary info seems more accurate for my situation? Or is none of it accurate and I need another one?

Calories: 2880
Protein: 180 g
Fat: 96 g
Carbs: 324 g

Or

Calories: 3125
250g protein
340g carbs
85 g fat

Or should cals be 3420, and macros undefined ATM.

Help me plox x
Gold: 3,804.50
Jun 6 2013 10:48pm
on the health/fitness topic, what are the most significant things you and raynor disagree on? be it macros, workout routines, meds, organic foods, or whatever.
Go Back To Health & Fitness Topic List
Prev167891021Next
Add Reply New Topic New Poll