d2jsp
d2jsp Forums > d2jsp > General Help > Unhandled Exception Access Violation Diablo 2 > Help Please
Add Reply New Topic
Gold: 35.00
May 22 2013 03:03am
Hayo everybody...

Every times i try to start d2 this message appear :

*unhandled exception access violation diablo 2*

i already tried to :

- change the compatibility to xp
- run d2vidtest
- run lod in administrator

i'm on w7

/e already downloaded newest patches too.

This post was edited by fako on May 22 2013 03:05am
Gold: 6,704.12
Trader: Trusted
May 22 2013 03:37am
This is what Blizzard has in their technical support:

Unhandled Exception: (c0000005)

If you are receiving unhandled exception errors, make certain that your game is completely up to date. Client patches include fixes that may correct this type of error. You can patch the game by connecting to Battle.net for an auto-patch or you can download and run stand-alone patches from our patch page. After installing the patch, reboot your computer and test the game again. If the patch does not correct the problem, follow the steps below.
Reinstall the Game

The first step is to reinstall the game. Before reinstalling, you may want to back up your single player character files. These files are stored in the Diablo II\Save\ folder on your hard drive. The character files have the same name as the character. Copy these files to another directory and restore them once you have reinstalled the game. To uninstall Diablo II:
Click Start (Windows Key + Q in Windows 8) > Control Panel > Uninstall a program (Add/Remove Program in Windows XP).
Select Diablo II to run the automated process.

Once the game is uninstalled, you can delete the Diablo II folder from your hard drive.

After uninstalling, run a thorough scandisk and defrag of your hard drive.

Warning:  Do not defrag a Solid State Drive (SSD)

Scandisk and Defrag - Windows XP/Windows Vista/Windows 7/Windows 8
Open My Computer (Computer on Windows Vista/Windows 7/Windows 8), and right-click the local disk you want to check.
Click Properties.
Click the Tools tab.
Under Error-checking, click Check Now.
Under Check disk options, select the Scan for and attempt recovery of bad sectors check box and the automatically fix file system errors box.
Select Yes to schedule after restart if a dialog box comes up prompting you to do so.
Restart your computer

Open My Computer (Computer on Windows Vista/Windows 7/Windows 8), and right-click the local disk you want to check.
On the File menu, click Properties.
Click the Tools tab.
Under Defragmentation, click Defragment now.
Select volume to Defragment.
Click Defragment.

Reinstall Diablo II. Windows 2000/Windows Vista/Windows 7/Windows 8 users need Administrative rights to run the Diablo II program.

After the installation finishes, patch the game. You can patch the game by connecting to Battle.net for an auto-patch or you can download and run stand-alone patches from our patch page.
Update your Video Drivers

If you still get errors, you should update DirectX and your video and sound card drivers. Please see our instructions on how to identify your DirectX version and video card model/drivers. Once you have identified your DirectX version and your video card, you can update them.
Contact Technical Support

If you still get errors, open a support ticket with a detailed description of the steps already taken. Attach the files described below:

Look in your Diablo II folder for any files that begin with D2 and end in .txt. To clarify, we want any file that looks like D2debug.txt, or D2nnnnnn.txt (n=number). Attach any error logs along with two files, your dxdiag.txt and msinfo.txt, for further diagnosis. To obtain the systems diagnostic files, follow the instructions below:

Note: Reboot your system prior to creating the dxdiag and msinfo files.
Click on Start.
Click on Run. (For Windows Vista/Windows 7/Windows 8 Users, press the Windows Key, the key with the Windows logo on your keyboard, + R at the same time.)
Type in DXDIAG and press Enter or click OK, this will open the DirectX diagnostic tool.
Run each available DirectX test on the Display Tab and on the Sound Tab.
Click on the Save All Information Button (save this file to your windows desktop and name it dxdiag).
Click on the More Help tab and open the Microsoft system information tool (MSInfo).*
Click on File and choose Export (save this file to your windows desktop as a text file and name it MSInfo). Please make sure to save this file as a .txt file and NOT as a .nfo file.
Attach the dxdiag.txt and msinfo.txt files to your support ticket.
MSinfo Instructions for Windows Vista/Windows 7/Windows 8
Press the Windows Key, the key with the Windows logo on your keyboard, + R at the same time.
Type in MSINFO32 and press Enter or click OK. This will open the MSINFO diagnostic panel.
Click File in the top left, then click Export - this will prompt you to choose a location to save the file.
When the Export As window appears, choose the Desktop to save your file.
Click Save. Save the file to your Desktop and name the file msinfo.txt.
Attach this msinfo.txt file and the dxdiag.txt file to your support ticket.
Gold: 35.00
May 22 2013 03:46am
Thanks but it doesn't work.
Gold: 60.00
Warn: 70%
May 22 2013 05:05am
Quote (fako @ May 22 2013 04:46am)

What I learned the hard way was, D2 LOD only works in Windowed mode for me.
Full screen will never work again unless its a old comp :/
Gold: 3,833.00
May 22 2013 06:04am
Quote (Validate @ May 22 2013 06:05am)
What I learned the hard way was, D2 LOD only works in Windowed mode for me.
Full screen will never work again unless its a old comp :/

set screen resolution to 800x600, start diablo, play it like normal, once done, change screen resolution back

ez as pie and fullscreen
Retired Moderator
Gold: 28,425.00
Trader: Trusted
May 22 2013 07:23am
Quote (fako @ May 22 2013 08:46pm)

What you need won't be found here, as it isn't allowed to be speculated upon or discussed at D2jsp. It requires a third party program to rectify your issue.
Go Back To General Help Topic List
Add Reply New Topic