d2jsp
d2jsp Forums > Diablo > Diablo 3 > D3 Discussion > The Cyclone Strike Monk > By Sexypro
12Next
Add Reply New Topic New Poll
Gold: 0.00
Apr 9 2013 12:38am
The Cyclone Strike Monk

Introduction
At first glance of this title you might be thinking that I have inserted cyclone strike in to the cookie cutter monk build and called it my own.. Far from it as you read through item selection and skill collection you might be a little confused at first but in the end you will see a new cool monk build that you have never seen before! I've looked all over battle.net forums, YouTube and Google to try and find a build similar to mine and so far not one exists! Please sit back and be awed!

Gear Selection

Helm - Inna's Radiance

You should look for a helm with:

2.0 spirit regen
4-5 Cyclone Strike reduction

Or:

45+ life per spirit spent
4-5 Cyclone Strike reduction

Shoulders - Vile Wards or BoA Crafted Shoulders

as much Dex and vit as you can get
70+ All resist

Amulet - Mara's Kaleidoscope
5 Cyclone Strike reduction
As good as you can get dmg wise. In order aim for the following first

Crit chance
Crit dmg
Average dmg
Ias
Hi dex

Chest - Innas Vast Expanse
70+ all res
As much dex and vit you can get

Gloves - Dual or trifecta
Crit chance
CD
Ias
hi dex

Bracers - Rare
As much dex and vit you can get
6 crit chance
60+All resist

Legs - Innas Temperance
9ias ofc

All resist 70+

Or:

140+ vita

*base your choice on personal prefrence would you rather have 550+ all res and 35k+ hp or 480+ all res and 42k+ hps

Boots - Ice Climbers
As much dex and vit you can get (250+dex 100+vita)
Don't worry bout move speed unless you have the money to get it

Rings - Soj/Skull Grasp

Ring1: Stone of Jordan with 2+ Spirit regen, 5 Cyclone Strike reduction, and as hi bonus vs elite you can get
Ring2: Skull Grasp with 4 Cyclone Strike reduction and as good as you can get dmg wise. In order aim for the following first

Crit chance
Crit dmg
Average dmg
Ias
Hi dex

Belt - Inna's Favor
8% holy dmg
70+ all res

Weapon - The fist of Az'Turrasq/ Shenlong's Fist of the legend

Weapon1: The fist of Az'Turrasq Aim for hi dmg with a socket and 2+ spirit regen
weapon2: Shenlong's Fist of the legend Aim for hi crit dmg 2+ spirit regen and 50+ life per spirit spent

Gear Summary:

Required-
4 piece Inna's set <-- explained later
Cyclone Strike reduction total 18-19
Life per spirit spent at least 100 (The more the better)
Spirit regen 13-18

On the non Cyclone reduction Peices you need to buy as good as you possibly can afford to push dmg its very hard to push dmg cause the items available for this setup are few and far apart do to the fact that it is currently not a recognized build.

Stats

Aim for as close to around these stats as you can

Life (30-50k) * The more res armor you have the less hp you need!
All res 400-600 *The more life you have the less res you need!
Armor 3000-4000* The more life you have the less armor you need!
Dmg 100K+ *As much as you possible can push duh

Skills:
1. Tempest Rush - Tailwind (To move from pac to pac!)
2. Sweeping winds - Inner Storm (Need the 3 spirit regen here) This skill is also the reason you need to get 4 piece Inna's set (Cyclone strike does not tick up or refresh your sweeping winds so you have to cast to refresh doing this with out the set is basically impossible)
3. Serenity - Peaceful Repose (only way for the build to deal with reflect dmg and helps alot with fire chains since you pull every thing on to you over and over)
4. Mantra of Healing - Circular Breathing ( need the 3 spirit regen here )
5. Fists of Thunder - Thunderclap (Best single target/spirit generator) used primarily to tick up your sweeping winds and in higher mps when you run out of spirit before killing a mob.
6. Cyclone Strike- Eye of the storm reducing its base cost to 30 with your gear makes it cost 11-12 spirit per cast with 100 life per spirit spent you gain 1k-1.5k life per cast

Passives:
Transcendence (Unlike most builds you depend on life per spirit spent instead of life steal or life on hit this is quite a nice boost)
Chant of Resonance (Mantras add +2 Spirit regen)
Exalted soul (+1 Spirit regen and 100 extra max spirit If the talent didn't exsist this build wouldn't its your bread and butter passive you need it to drain your full spirit bubble on to elites!)

How it works/Pros and Cons:

How it works-
With the spirit regen on your gear and the reduction to the cost of cyclone strike( wich is a 300% weapon dmg skill!!) you can spam cyclone strike to do massive aoe dmg!

First of all as you enter the battle field you wanna cast your mantra to get that 5 spirit regen going. Then when you find a mob you wanna cast your sweeping winds and use fists of thunder to tick it up to 3 stacks so you get the 3 additional Spirit regen. After that use tempest rush to run to the first big group of monsters and hold down your cyclone strike button in-tell there all dead(rinse and repeat). Remember as your running and fighting to cast sweeping winds ever 2-3 seconds to refresh the buff (4 piece Inna's makes it free), because your cyclone strike will nigher tick it up or refresh the buff for some reason.

Cons:
-Can only do up to mp 7 because of gear restrictions on dmg
-not cheap to start out with cause your non cyclone reduction items need to be as good as they can get to push your dmg up to or past 100k
-Specific gear that doesnt really shine in other situations

Pros:
-Fast clears
-Exciting and fun.
-New No one else does this I promise you

Gold: 60,764.01
Apr 9 2013 12:43am
Oh I bought these gears a month ago

The build is pretty fun

Thanks for the write up

Hard to find the gears though
Gold: 22,970.00
Apr 9 2013 01:11am
This is a great group build...great idea :)
Gold: 3.07
Apr 9 2013 01:28am
i've seen this in action it's pretty legit for team plae
Gold: 1,376.49
Apr 9 2013 02:50am
You can do a few things to make it better:
-Deadly reach foresight
-LS skorn and +35% spirit regen passive (or rare weapon is good for low budget)
-Mantra of conviction
-Breath of heaven or blinding flash instead of serenity
Apr 9 2013 03:15am
Quote (Cyberbeni @ Apr 9 2013 08:50am)
You can do a few things to make it better:
-Deadly reach foresight
-LS skorn and +35% spirit regen passive (or rare weapon is good for low budget)
-Mantra of conviction
-Breath of heaven or blinding flash instead of serenity

Ty Just tested friends ls skorn and its really nice you can infinitely cyclone strike with it because the atk speed is so much slower and the life steal is really nice in comparison to the life per spirit spent

it feels much slower and is more expensive then the original weapons in the build but I think ill be swapping to it as soon as I can afford it

with the slower atk speed 14-18 spirit regen is over kill so I would defiantly swap to mantra of conviction with overawe rune.

So it basically makes my build a new improved version of tempest rush, and it will make for gg team play come next patch when every ones looking for team chars!

I'll test deadly reach but I don't see my self not using serenity since fire chains can be a pain with out it since your constantly pulling stuff to you.

Again ty for your input!
Apr 9 2013 01:21pm
Bump
Gold: 12,771.85
Apr 9 2013 01:27pm
nb
Apr 10 2013 11:57am
Quote (gamon @ Apr 9 2013 07:27pm)
nb

:ph34r: