d2jsp
d2jsp Forums > Diablo II > Diablo 2 Discussion > Strategy & Guides > Player Vs. Monster Ww Barbarian > 1.13
123Next
Add Reply New Topic New Poll
Gold: 0.32
Jan 4 2013 01:31pm
Player Versus Monster Whirlwind Barbarian

Made By : Soppamies

Hello everyone.

After all why i made this guide is that i have seen many topics here where people ask advices about PvM Ww Barb. I looked barbarian sticky guides and i didn't seen any updates about them.
This guide include what equipments you should use, how to put skill points, how to put stats points and what Merc you should use.

First list of terms what you can see in this topic :

PvM : player versus monster
Ds : deadly strike
Ww : whirlwind
Dmg : damage
Str : strength
Fhr : faster hit recovery
PB : phase blade
IAS : increased attack speed
Frw : faster run/walk
Dr : damage reduced
Hc : hardcore
Mb : max block
Fr : fire resist
Vita : vitality
BP : break point
Ow : chance of open wounds
Barb : barbarian
Lr : lightning resist
CBF : can not be frozen
Char : character
Ar : attack rating
Dex : dexterity
ML : mana leech
LL : life leech
CS : crystal sword
Mona : monarch
Fcr : faster cast rate
Sc : small charm
@ : all resistances
Mf : magic find
BC : Battle Command
Nm : nightmare
ED : enhanced damage
Merc : mercenary

Oke so here we go:

EQ

- Helmet : Guillaume's Face = 15% DS & 35% Cb, both of them will increase your chance to make more Ww Dmg. Also this helmet give +15 to Str and +30% Fhr.

- Weapon ( Right hand ) : Grief PB = PB have [-30] weapon speed class what means that 30% IAS grief PB is enough fast to reach maximum Ww speed so just get high +damage grief pb ( +400 Dmg ).

- Armor : Enigma : +1 to teleport, +2 to all skills, +45% Frw, Str, increase maximum life 5%, 8% Dr <- faster, stronger monster hunter.

- Weapon ( Left hand ) : Grief PB = dual grief PB's are only way to go, period. Only if you play Hc, then maybe Stormshield with Mb would be nice for safety
- Gloves : Laying of Hands = +350% damage to demons, well allmoust half monsters of this game are demons so those gloves give nice Dmg boost to you. Also +50% Fr is nice.

- Belt : Verdungo's Hearty Cord = try get high Vita / Dr% verdungo ( 40 Vita / 15% Dr would be perfect choice ). Also that 10% Fhr ( you will need this to reach 48% Fhr BP ) and replenish life are nice adds.

- Boots : Gore Rider = Ds & Cb & Ow, best boots choice for Barb, also that 30% Frw is nice.

- Amulet : Highlord's Wrath = +1 to all skills, nice Lr stack and best thing here is Ds.

- Ring : Raven Frost = well CBF is one of moust important thing on melee Char, so this ring is must. Also Ar and Dex are nice adds.

- Ring : Rare = Here you will get your ML% and LL% ( Ar / Str / ML% / LL% are pretty must here, life and mana are nice bonus )

Switch

- Dual Spirits ( CS and Mona ) : Moust important thing here is that you reach 63% Fcr with switch. This will help you tele faster and as usually barbarians have huge problems with mana because mana pool will run off fast while teleporting -> Spirit give nice mana boost and with those you get 86% Fhr BP what help you tele away from Fhr lock.

Inventory

- Barbarian Hellfire Torch = try get high stats as possible.
- Annihilus = try get high stats as possible.
- 2 x Sc:s : well at the moment you have 40% Fhr from your equipments, so you will need 2 x Fhr Sc:s to reach 48% Fhr BP, i prefer 5 Fhr / x@ Sc:s.
- Gheed's Fortune : try get 40% Mf gheed, this is not must but help to you find some nice items.

Stats

- Vitality : enough that you have +3k life with BO.
- Strenght : put rest stats points here. Str will rise your Ww Dmg.
- None point to dexterity ( Only if you play HC and you use Stormshield, then enough Dex that you have Mb. )
- None points to energy

Skills

Combat Skills

- 20 points to Whirlwind

- 1 point to Berserk

Combat Masteries

- 20 points to Sword Mastery

- Natural Resistance : until you have lvl 13 after BC. ( with lvl 13 natural resistance you get 60% @. )

- Increased Speed : until you have lvl 14 after BC. ( with lvl 14 increased speed you get 40% Frw. )

Warcries

- 20 points to Battle Orders
- 1 point to Battle Command
- 1 point to Find Item ( not must but handy. )
- rest points to Shout

Mercenary

Act 2 Nm offensive (Might aura)

- Helmet :Guillaume's Face : " 15 IAS / 40% ED Jewel "

- Weapon : Eth Reaper's Toll: " 15 IAS / 40% ED Jewel "

- Armor: Eth Treachery

That is best Merc setup for PvM Ww Barb. Those IAS jewels are for that your Merc reach IAS BP, reapers toll give LL% to your Merc what keeps him alive and also that 33% chance to cast level 1 decrepify on striking is just great. ( target's speed, damage and physical resistance -50% :thumbsup: ) Treachery give 45 IAS what your Merc need to reach IAS BP and also level 15 fade is nice.

I'll hope that this guide will help everyone who have problems to make PvM Ww Barb.

Feel free to write comments, but please don't spam or flame, it's not necessary here.

Also in the end BIG thanks to Djsem for few correction here and also 5 fg donate that I was able to bold this topic ^_^

This post was edited by soppamies on Jan 4 2013 02:00pm
Gold: 5,000.77
Jan 4 2013 02:04pm
ISO anything new in comparison to older guides.
Gold: 139.80
Jan 4 2013 07:14pm
Don't see why people waste their time making PvM guides :/
Gold: 8,945.63
Jan 4 2013 07:46pm
Maybe I'm just a complete newbie, but this build seems a little lacking in the resistance department? I think resists are pretty important in PvM.
Gold: 0.01
Jan 4 2013 09:06pm
Wholoe point of PVM barb = HORKING. And raven just froze and shattered bodies.

ravens/10

And who needs dr for pvm? Use nos coil for ias or arachs for slow + skill + fcr.

This post was edited by BrimstoneJack on Jan 4 2013 09:08pm
Gold: 0.00
Jan 4 2013 09:54pm
Why Verdungo's? Why not String of Ears?
Gold: 1.00
Jan 4 2013 11:10pm
ww is not affected by OIAS. arachs is stupid.
String of Ears is the obvious PvM whirler choice for DR and LL :)

If you're worried about Raven freezing a Cham Guillaume and Nature's Peace, Dwarf Star, BK are acceptable
I prefer dual Leech/Str/Resist/AR as stats in rare rings.
Gold: 0.01
Jan 5 2013 01:37am
Quote (Daklore @ Jan 4 2013 09:10pm)
ww is not affected by OIAS. arachs is stupid.
String of Ears is the obvious PvM whirler choice for DR and LL :)

If you're worried about Raven freezing a Cham Guillaume and Nature's Peace, Dwarf Star, BK are acceptable
I prefer dual Leech/Str/Resist/AR as stats in rare rings.

WTF does arachs have to do with ias?
Gold: 0.32
Jan 5 2013 03:22am
Quote (Lightman @ 4 Jan 2013 22:04)
ISO anything new in comparison to older guides.

:thumbsup: love you m8.

Quote (Band @ 5 Jan 2013 03:14)
Don't see why people waste their time making PvM guides :/

Same reason why ppl make pvp guides.

Quote (KrQl @ 5 Jan 2013 03:46)
Maybe I'm just a complete newbie, but this build seems a little lacking in the resistance department? I think resists are pretty important in PvM.

+50@ easy on hell diff, after anya's,( probably lr woud be around 75 ) and ofc you can take more ress sc:s to inv if you feels like that, but i didn't have ever problems with ress, barbs are fast killers and have leech.

Quote (BrimstoneJack @ 5 Jan 2013 05:06)
Wholoe point of PVM barb = HORKING. And raven just froze and shattered bodies.

ravens/10

And who needs dr for pvm? Use nos coil for ias or arachs for slow + skill + fcr.

This is not horking burb :thumbsup: ofc you can take raven off and put cham to guilli, but i prefer more Um rune or 15 maximum Dmg / 100 AR jewel :)

Imo dr% is important as much on pvm as pvp vs high physical dmg. Barb will get ias only from weapon so nosfes ias wont help at all. Well arach is potential opinion, but not so necessary because that 20 fcr will not help at all, slow come from merc reaper's and 1sk well, 40 vita is allmoust same in life, only what you get is littlebit more dmg ( ~ 50 ? )?

Quote (Ashwin @ 5 Jan 2013 05:54)
Why Verdungo's? Why not String of Ears?

I prefer more dungo because will be needed for fhr bp and give more life, same max dr%, oonly good thing on string is that LL% but i didn't have ever problems with LL% or ML% when i just use dual leech ring.

e: and ML% is usually bigger problen than LL% on barb.

Thx all for comments, more opinions ?

This post was edited by soppamies on Jan 5 2013 03:44am
Gold: 15,245.00
Trader: Trusted
Jan 5 2013 06:09am
Nice guide, short, and nice layout.

Some comments :

+1 for String of ears. Not only for the higher leech, but for the 12-15 MDR it provides. This mod is strongly under-estimated in pvm, even for non-es chars.
In my opinion, fhr is not really imprtant for ww-barb. And you can reach your breakpoint with charms (but you cannot increase MDR with charms).

Cannot be frozen : well, I like this mod to prevent slower run/walk, because basically being frozen doesn't affect your attack speed with ww. And since you chose teleport... frw is only usefull in town.
So you may consider another ring (fi : good bi-leech rings may be expensive, so you could have mana leech only on first ring, and life leech on second). Or add a Dwarf (another ton of MDR + usefull fire absorb).
Of course, AR/dext boost on Raven is very cumfortable for your chance-to-hit.

Free sockets : in Guillaume's (and maybe in Stormshield). Usually 40ed/9str is welcomed, Cham if you really want CbF without Raven, Sol if you run Nihlathak, Ith if you face mana burning mobs, Shael for your fhr breakpoint, or some 30ed/7fhr/adds rare jewel... ?

Skills : I like 1 into Leap for crowd control, but maybe it's just me. I guess it's not really important after all, but I see this as a "1 point wonder".
Go Back To Strategy & Guides Topic List
123Next
Add Reply New Topic New Poll