d2jsp
d2jsp Forums > d2jsp > General Help > Site Suggestions >
Poll > Tournament Bracket Ui Suggestion > Best Idea Since Sliced Bread
Prev12346Next
Add Reply New Topic New Poll
  Guests cannot view or vote in polls. Please register or login.
Gold: 3,605.21
Dec 17 2012 08:20am
up SPREAD THE WORD!
Gold: 5,169.82
Dec 17 2012 08:27am
Very certain that this will not be implemented.
  • There are many kinds of tournaments, and not all of them use trees. Should he implement ironmans, team vs team, ladder rankings, etc...? This will quickly turn into a never ending list, and people will never be satisfied with whatever is supported.
  • Contrary to what you said in your post, this will actually take a fair bit of effort to code.
  • More importantly, it requires additional database tables and lots of server time for something that will be used by a very small minority of people.
  • Probably more reasons...

It'd be way easier to simply create your own website for this.
Dec 17 2012 08:39am
Quote (Nymphomaniac @ Dec 17 2012 09:27am)
Very certain that this will not be implemented.
  • There are many kinds of tournaments, and not all of them use trees. Should he implement ironmans, team vs team, ladder rankings, etc...? This will quickly turn into a never ending list, and people will never be satisfied with whatever is supported.
  • Contrary to what you said in your post, this will actually take a fair bit of effort to code.
  • More importantly, it requires additional database tables and lots of server time for something that will be used by a very small minority of people.
  • Probably more reasons...

It'd be way easier to simply create your own website for this.

ive already discussed this with paul, he has wanted to do this for a long time.

If i knew the structure of pauls site i could code this in a couple days and it would be ready to use or very close.

The database work is already done hence the reason were using the site now. and the ladder slasher database could partially be used to do this.

implementing ironmans,tvt etc.. is something that could be added later if Paul wanted it to be. remember when it comes down to it its his website and even if every user votes for it he can still say no.
Gold: 5,169.82
Dec 17 2012 08:48am
Quote (GNX @ Dec 17 2012 04:39pm)

If i knew the structure of pauls site i could code this in a couple days and it would be ready to use or very close.

The database work is already done hence the reason were using the site now. and the ladder slasher database could partially be used to do this.

implementing ironmans,tvt etc.. is something that could be added later if Paul wanted it to be. remember when it comes down to it its his website and even if every user votes for it he can still say no.

I'm very certain the database work is not done yet. I'm not sure how much you know about databases and SQL, but it's evident that there'll need to be a table for tournaments, a table for matches, a table for attending players... Maybe less or more, but unless Paul has already started working on these tournaments (in which case this poll is not needed anymore :3) those tables probably don't exist yet. Using LS's database seems illogical to me, so I'm not sure why you're mentioning that.

This post was edited by Nymphomaniac on Dec 17 2012 08:48am
Dec 17 2012 08:56am
Quote (Nymphomaniac @ Dec 17 2012 09:48am)
I'm very certain the database work is not done yet. I'm not sure how much you know about databases and SQL, but it's evident that there'll need to be a table for tournaments, a table for matches, a table for attending players... Maybe less or more, but unless Paul has already started working on these tournaments (in which case this poll is not needed anymore :3) those tables probably don't exist yet. Using LS's database seems illogical to me, so I'm not sure why you're mentioning that.

the tables arent a very drawn out process. you seem to misunderstand. as a basic idea the only thing that needs to be done is a basic tournament ui. the databasing and scripting for the fg system can come later.

and there is no need to table the matches as the bracket ui is the only thing necessary. if you wanted to setup the ranking system simply adding x number of points per place(i.e. first,second,third) would be sufficient.

A full user database already exists, thats how the site knows what allowances to give(i.e. donor forum access, locked status, etc..), the only thing that needs to be done there is to add the ranking portion, which could be done similar to the poker forum system.
Gold: 6.60
Dec 17 2012 02:48pm
No and no if u want a tournament bracket use the one ya got.ranks? Lol that's a joke for pvp.

Quote (GNX @ Dec 17 2012 09:39am)

The database work is already done hence the reason were using the site now. and the ladder slasher database could partially be used to do this

hell no it can't why would we want something on our sever we can't use... Nty

This post was edited by SmokeyMcPot1990 on Dec 17 2012 02:52pm
Dec 17 2012 03:12pm
Quote (SmokeyMcPot1990 @ Dec 17 2012 03:48pm)
No and no if u want a tournament bracket use the one ya got.ranks? Lol that's a joke for pvp.

hell no it can't why would we want something on our sever we can't use... Nty

opinions are fine but please be tactful.
Dec 20 2012 03:07pm
Bump
Dec 21 2012 04:59pm
up
Dec 24 2012 05:07pm
up
Go Back To Site Suggestions Topic List
Prev12346Next
Add Reply New Topic New Poll