d2jsp
d2jsp Forums > Off-Topic > Sports Coliseum > World Football - Soccer > The Smaller Club Supporters Thread > For Those Who Done Support The Big Teams
Prev1537538539540541681Next
Add Reply New Topic New Poll
Gold: 4,383.11
Sep 16 2017 04:07pm
Quote (zarkadon @ 16 Sep 2017 23:53)
That's not an inaccurate description. Calderón stadium is located in the south of Madrid, which for the most part is the poorer and more working class part of the city, while Bernabéu is in the middle of the financial district in the northern half of the city. Obviously those districts mostly support the club that is based there as back in the day there was no tv and the only way people could watch football was going to their nearest stadium... so yes, it can be said that Atlético is more of the working class club in Madrid. In any case, neither of the clubs are actively involved with a particular social class or political philosophy.

However if there's one Madrid based club that is heavily identified with a particular social group/philosophy that would be Rayo Vallecano. They're based in the Vallecas district, which has traditionally been the most working class district in Madrid, and a far left stronghold in every election. The vast majority of people there support Rayo, as it's a club that is very involved in social issues.... they help out families in need, they strongly promote gender/racial/etc equality, they are LGTB-friendly (they wear rainbow shirts on pride day), they give free football education to immigrant families in need so as to help the children integrate, etc... they're kind of our St Pauli.

you know st. pauli?
i am impressed cain ^^

i do hope rayo does not have the same left wing extremist connections though, that paulis fanbase here in hamburg have
but they are a special club indeed, their stadium and support are easily bundesliga level
Gold: 2,570.91
Sep 16 2017 04:24pm
Quote (chelsea11 @ 17 Sep 2017 00:00)
What is the split between Real/Atletico fans in Madrid? 70/30? 60/40?

If we're talking about actual fans then probably 70/30 or 65/35. If we're talking about asking the general population to chose one of them (even if they don't care about football) it would be even more imbalanced, probably like 80/20.
Gold: Locked
Sep 16 2017 04:28pm
Quote (zarkadon @ Sep 16 2017 06:24pm)
If we're talking about actual fans then probably 70/30 or 65/35. If we're talking about asking the general population to chose one of them (even if they don't care about football) it would be even more imbalanced, probably like 80/20.

Yeah I meant actual fans. I think in general it might even be 90/10 after the last 3-4 years lol
Sep 16 2017 04:43pm
Quote (ampoo @ 17 Sep 2017 00:07)
you know st. pauli?
i am impressed cain ^^

i do hope rayo does not have the same left wing extremist connections though, that paulis fanbase here in hamburg have
but they are a special club indeed, their stadium and support are easily bundesliga level

Well, not the club, but Rayo's ultras "Bukaneros" have some left wing extremists in their group that are occasionally involved in violent and disgusting affairs (like pretty much any ultra group tbf). The club says they are a club "for everyone". They try to be very family friendly... before each game they ask the people in the stadium to applaud the rival teams as a form of welcome, and they ask fans on both sides to behave and not insult or use foul language. The crowd usually follows this instructions surprisingly well (well, for football standards... of course it's not Pleasantville FC). It's pretty funny, in a way it has a 1950s vibe with all this respect and fairplay ideals.

I've been there once, and it was really fun. It was a random game in Segunda, when the team wasn't fighting for anything, and there was more atmosphere than in many Primera games. Full stadium and lots of chanting all game, as if it was the game of the season. It feels very much like a neighbourhood club... an hour before the game, lots of people were meeting and having drinks and snacks together... it's as if most of them all knew each other... a group of supporters carrying flags with the club logo came up to me and my friend and said "haven't seen you guys around here before... you're not from here right? where are you from?" and we had a pretty nice and fun conversation... they were really kind, they offered us beer and gave us a free Rayo fanzine they were selling for 1€ :D
Gold: 4,383.11
Sep 16 2017 05:59pm
Quote (zarkadon @ 17 Sep 2017 00:43)
Well, not the club, but Rayo's ultras "Bukaneros" have some left wing extremists in their group that are occasionally involved in violent and disgusting affairs (like pretty much any ultra group tbf). The club says they are a club "for everyone". They try to be very family friendly... before each game they ask the people in the stadium to applaud the rival teams as a form of welcome, and they ask fans on both sides to behave and not insult or use foul language. The crowd usually follows this instructions surprisingly well (well, for football standards... of course it's not Pleasantville FC). It's pretty funny, in a way it has a 1950s vibe with all this respect and fairplay ideals.

I've been there once, and it was really fun. It was a random game in Segunda, when the team wasn't fighting for anything, and there was more atmosphere than in many Primera games. Full stadium and lots of chanting all game, as if it was the game of the season. It feels very much like a neighbourhood club... an hour before the game, lots of people were meeting and having drinks and snacks together... it's as if most of them all knew each other... a group of supporters carrying flags with the club logo came up to me and my friend and said "haven't seen you guys around here before... you're not from here right? where are you from?" and we had a pretty nice and fun conversation... they were really kind, they offered us beer and gave us a free Rayo fanzine they were selling for 1€ :D

i guess its because they do, sounds like the local amateur club where you find the same guys for years or even decades on every sunday ^^
really nice to hear that something like this still exists in modern times

when i hear rayo the first thing that comes to mind is their hipster playstyle in primera and iirc they are the only team to send peps barca packing with less than 50% possession :rofl:
Sep 17 2017 03:07am
Quote (ampoo @ 17 Sep 2017 01:59)
i guess its because they do, sounds like the local amateur club where you find the same guys for years or even decades on every sunday ^^
really nice to hear that something like this still exists in modern times

when i hear rayo the first thing that comes to mind is their hipster playstyle in primera and iirc they are the only team to send peps barca packing with less than 50% possession :rofl:

Yeah, it's a small club with a very family spirit... really feels like a sunday league club, despite their success and the fact they haven't played below the third level since the 1940s. The fan base is pretty solid... there are around 300k people in the Vallecas district, and once you rule out the people that don't really care about football you could probably say that around half of the remaining fans are Rayo supporters. Since they help a lot of people and they sponsor all sorts of activities and events in the area, they manage to draw lots of people in, even if they are in a city where they have to compete with two giants like Madrid and Atleti. They have virtually no fans outside Vallecas though ofc.

And yes, that playstyle thing was funny :LOL: It was a matter of their coach at the time, Paco Jémez. That guy is a madman and really doesn't give a fuck. He always plays offensively and with a possession based system, no matter what. The problem is his teams can't defend even if their life depends on it...
Sep 17 2017 06:26am
Quote (zarkadon @ 16 Sep 2017 12:25)
Mallorca will be playing away against Ontinyent tomorrow.

Ontinyent has spent the vast majority of its history shifting between the 3rd and 4th levels of spanish football, aside from their short lived golden age in the 60s (where they spent a few seasons in Segunda). There's a bit of a dark history between Mallorca and Ontinyent, because the last time we met (almost 40 years ago, during the club's darkest ages) Mallorca was having serious financial troubles and the players weren't getting paid on time... the crowd of Ontinyent "welcomed" our players by throwing 1 cent coins and calling them hobos and the like. It's one of the most disgusting moments Mallorca has witnessed throughout its history, and even Ontinyent seems to still be deeply embarrassed by it as they've spent all week using social media to say they wish us a warm welcome and that they are honored to be facing a club like Mallorca and that they wish us to be back in Primera "where we belong" soon.

It's probably going to be a tough game. Ontinyent aren't expected to fight for promotion, but they've had a good start so far, and apparently they're really good at locking themselves in their small field while waiting for a chance to counterattack. Hope we break through and score soon.

Ontinyent 0 - 1 Mallorca

Another good performance and result, but also another snoozefest. Ontinyent parked the bus until we scored, then they finally tried to attack but we stopped them from creating chances thanks to another excellent defensive display.
Gold: 1,294.00
Sep 17 2017 07:24am
1:1 in hoffenheim
deserved result B)
2nd half was way better again
Gold: Locked
Sep 17 2017 04:11pm
https://twitter.com/atakankurt2/status/909513074083864577

Holy shit Neymar... Honestly I'm happy Cavani took the pen, just unlucky he missed it lol.

Neymar cannot just come into the team and piss off Cavani like that. Neymar isn't big enough to do that. what a cuck
Gold: 1,294.00
Sep 20 2017 02:30pm
2:1 win vs leverkusen
first half was really good and we scored 2 goals
second half we only defended and conceeded 1 late goal and managed to win it

good season so far B)
Go Back To World Football - Soccer Topic List
Prev1537538539540541681Next
Add Reply New Topic New Poll