d2jsp
d2jsp Forums > Diablo II > Diablo 2 Discussion > Strategy & Guides > 1.13 Active/fissure Druid Guide
1236Next
Add Reply New Topic New Poll
Gold: 546.00
Oct 11 2012 05:06pm
09 res's Guide to the Active Fissure druid

Shortlink (use the Roman Numeral)
I. Intro
II. Stats
III. Gear
IV. Inventory
V. Mercs (for the weak)
VI. Skills
VII. Dueling Strategy - This guide does not include a PVM set up in the modern age of "not-legit-mf'ing" with Paladins/Sorcs/Etc
VIII. FAQ section
VIIII. The screenshot for reference with details of your main set up
X. Sup, Son?

I.The Fire Druid Intro

This is the modern guide to the "active fissure" druid. The definition entails a druid that does not spend any more time in town than required. If you wanted to learn how to make Akara your best friend, this is not for you. That being said, making obscure/unique/throwback characters is one of my specialties. Adapting these characters to be functional is where I find my current joy in D2. If anything in here doesn't make sense, feel free to post a question and I'll try my best to explain the route I took. All characters designed need to function well in the "public dueling" sphere. Let's be real, the private scene consists of 30 people that are all "numba juan11!1!1!" BORING

As such, a primary point one has to admit while making one of these characters is that roughly 80% of current players in pub games, you can expect to be using modifications to the game of one sort or another. If you want a functional character without needing any of them, you need to consider said modifications and incorporate ways to counter them. As of this build, the only trouble for this character, full gm (sans absorb) I have are vs 102fcr trap sins and AA blizz sorcs (sorb for them included, but I disregard as a legitimate set up). Everything else, I will explain the easiest way of dealing with

II. The stats you need and don't understand

Strength - Minimum for gear, but make sure you include all swap-gear checks to make sure stats are correct
Dexterity - Enough for max block with a base monarch. This gives you options, including mb with spirit, phoenix, 60life 20/-20 monarch, and any other shield you choose to add on
Vitality - Everything that doesn't encompass the rest
Energy - Every point. Literally, every point. (on a serious note, leave it blank)

III. The Gear

Helmets
Raven Lore (-20 enemy resistances a MUST) Let's be real, if you're using fire in the modern day on a druid, there's only one option. If you aren't lowering their resistances, you aren't doing anything to them. 2/3/2's are cute as a swap, but the resistances gained in your favor against the resistances dropped on your enemy side cannot be matched. Additionally, you'll find yourself lacking the FHR (faster hit recovery) and minus enemy resistances to be effective in any real scale

Armor
Enigma - It goes without saying. You won't move quick enough without, and you'll start being a town whore. Grow up, to make a real character, you need to compete

Jewelery
Rings
1x 10fcr/20str/etc ring (this is an absolutely, 100% necessary ring to save stats and add to your long run life)
1x Soj (it'll make sense later, but this is a primary secondary ring for the skill and the mana cost, fire druids need to move a lot)
1x 10fcr/50+life alternate ring (again, I'll explain why this is important further on, but only these two stats will ultimately matter)
1x 20% light absorb Whisp - you'll need it eventually, be real
**Optional**
1x Raven frost - AA blizz absorb
1x Dwarf - full fire absorb

Ammys
1x 2 druid/18+fcr/Life/etc ammy - this will be necessary to hit your breakpoints without losing anything while cycling through gear
1x 2/30res maras - used for absorb and b/o pump when needed

Gloves/boots/belts
Gloves
Mage fists - these add to your fire damage, they add to your mana regeneration, they obviously give fcr. You're an idiot to pass freebies like these up

Boots
50% fire resistances Aldurs - this is one of the areas I'm still not 100% certain on. Aldurs seems to be the best by a mile with the quicker movement, the fire resistances and the life. For the build, there's not much of any competition other than these so far.
Inferno Strides - I try to maintain full gm at all times, and these boots let me without having me give up too much
**Optional** I've considered doing some 30frw/20fhr/stat boots, however nothing FR (fire res) comes close to matching what you need on the common or rarer copies seen around. If you can find one with the nice fire, give it a try. Additionally, there's been speculation that Waterwalks hold some value, however they don't provide the base FR you need to stay max at all relevant times
Hotspurs - Obvious BM fire absorb

Belts
Arachinds - This is what you ultimately will need not only for the skill it gives to your b/o and fire damage, but for the FCR. Both hold significance here.
Thundergods - One of those belts you need. You'll get fc'ed sooner or later, and if not, that "one piece of absorb for gm" rule holds hell of a lot here
**Optional** Snowclash - If you want to go the route of being able to absorb those goddamn AA blizz's.

Weapons/Shields/Swaps

Weapons
30+/-30 Fire faceted weapon - Take your pick of style, this is going to be your primary set up. The -30 res combined with the Raven Lore's -20 make your fire formidable at all times.
35% fcr Spirit sword - This is going to be one of your alternates when you need the life and resistance stack (The Phoenix Monarch set up) that you won't want to lose your fhr/fcr on
20life/15res Suicide Branch - Necessary for your standard max res/163 FCR build vs the occasional 200fcr/TMC sorc
40res Hoto - Another option to your Emo Stick build mentioned just previously. The rep is quite nice, as is the additional 15 res over-stack
5/-5 Fire Faceted Wizzy's - Necessary to hold your -Enemy Res effect while stacking on res's in your favor and hit that crucial 163 FCR against BM'ers
**Optional**
Phoenix Sword. Not really all that great of an addition, but again gives you another way to lower enemy resistances and absorb fire. Lower and less useful than a 30/-30 wep. Not really all that great for the space it takes up.

Shields
35 FCR spirit monarch - This is your primary. You already have -50 Enemy FR, you already have MB with the dex, this is used for your 99FCR/99FHR bp. Incredibly useful seeing as most of the game is Paladin based and easy to avoid
Phoenix Monarch - Used for your -78 Enemy Fire Res stack, also used for your Stack Resistance build with it's +Max Lr/Fr and Fire absorb options. VERY useful vs pallys and barbs, trust me
60life 20/-20 JMoC (Jewelers Monarch of the Colossus) A somewhat random option if you want the extra life. You'll have MB with it as well, but in truth the extra -8 Enemy FR and other add-ons from Phoenix kind of blow this out of the water, but hey, I included anyhow

Swaps
6bo Call to Arms - Obvious is obvious
Rand B/O Spirit Monarch - Adds like, >9000 life. At least. Shit's crazy, trust me. You won't believe it....because it's not true. Just use one.

Additional, albeit obscure, alternate options
Silence Weapon - This gives +2 skills, an obvious help, 75% res all, another great bonus, and 20% fhr to boot
Sanctuary shield - High resistances, block, fhr, and slow missile for all those pesky bm'ers

IV. The Inventory you want

My standard is as follows. You can always carry stack life/res options in the small charm form, but it really isn't worth it since the gear can cover any stack you need. Additionally, there's no need to go to the higher fhr bp. The only chars that bother 99 are zons and sins, and if you know how to WSG, they're no problem. If you don't, don't make this character.
By following the guide so far, you'll have your resistances at 75/75/75/65+ (I usually disregard psn, it's easy to get around)

20/18+ druid torch
20/18+/x anni
7x 40+ Elemental Lifer Gc's
2x FHR Elemental Fhr Gc's
8x Life/5res Scs
1x Life/11 Cold Res sc
1x Life/11 Light Res sc

V. The merc ---- Please note I do not duel with a merc at any time. Period. This is if you are having a hard time or learning.

***The merc I recommend is an act 2 holy freeze merc to lock their fhr and for their basic damage (much higher than most mercenaries can reach). Act 1 mercs with "Ice" bow work as well, but are not nearly as effective.***

Ethereal 80ED/x (add jewel option here) Giant Skull - The kb throws them right into your attack, it's a free merc hit + knock into at least one hit from your fire. It's a lethal option.
Infinity Weapon - I'd go with a higher damage one. The gskull will cover any lacking str requirements so you'll be fine on that count. Having a merc drop 2k dmg and knock them into a fire attack is a brutal combo. The negative Enemy Resistances with convic cannot be messed with
Fortitude Armor - You want your merc's Physical hit to hurt, this will go a long way.

**Optional**
An eth upped shaft isn't a bad option if you want him to take a hit or two

VI. Skills

Max Fissure - This is your primary, this is how you kill
Max Volcano - A fissure synergy. Trivial, but you want the damage
Max Fire Storm - The normal Fire Druid moron uses Molten Boulder. Fire Storm is your name lock killer. Try it, people die. You laugh. Set it on left click at all times.
Max Oak - All about the life
One Point in Armageddon - This and the skills required give me cyclone armor and about 8k Armageddon, It eats people just on it's stray shots alone.
Remaining - Put in in the boulder. It benefits your Fire Storm used for Name Lock-killing as well as your Armageddon

**Optional**
Having summons to use as shields isn't a terrible idea, but I prefer the outright damage for chasing and baiting. Plus with so many people using enigma giving +life per kill, it's just freebie healing for them

VII. How to use your Scary Fire Druid

*Preface*
Your druid is going to hurt a lot of people. As most current players acknowledge, Fire Resistances are the hardest to meet on a caster. Most people exceed the 75fr bp just marginally. By using your -50 Enemy FR set up with your 99FCR/99FHR/MB/Max Res set up, you leave a lot of people unsure of how to face you. When doing ~7.5k Armageddon and 6k Fissure, dropping an enemy's FR into the 20's does a lot. Throw on phoenix, it does more.

Again, now I address the fact that a lot of people use add-on's to the current game. This includes AA/FC/any other random angry child mod you want to include. These mods, however, benefit your fire druid. You want to get good at laying "fields." Fissure is a time delay attack, however you can have two sitting fissures and a third cast at any time. Let people Charge (paladins) or run (any other character) directly into your fields. They're dead faster than either they or you would believe. The main trick is knowing to drop a fissure where you WANT to move to, so that when you do, if they try to tele or run onto you, it's right into your own field of play. They panic and run, all the better. They sit, you Fire Storm them to hell and beyond.

For the normal "GM" style of duel, it's more or less the same. You want your fissures to be where they are going to. A hammerdin is trying to desynch you? Tele at a down angle to them, leave fissures in your wake as you move. They have to change angle and come to you, and to do so, it drags them right through your fissure field. Amazons, you want to tele on top of them if they're bow. Make them panic, hit them with a fissure. Its area effect makes them run right through it and either activates their passives or hurts the hell out of them. Casters, you want to box them. Be aggressive. If you set up a box and they want to try and win, they'll hit your fissures sooner than they'd think. It forces them to you, and you can have fissures you pre-set waiting at corners. It's very simple. Remember, your Armageddon also does 8k damage split between Physical and Fire damage. It trails, and if you tele over someone, the delayed effect definitely hurts. Barbs/Ghosts, if they want to WW through you and your max block, wish them luck with a double fissure field and Armageddon going.

The biggest thing is, people are easily baited. Assassins, Barbs, Paladins, Druids, Necros, these are all characters that live for the name lock. Drop a fissure on yourself, wait until you see them move, tele out. They land in your delayed-hit Armageddon and take a fissure hit. The trouble with fissure is its sporadic hit within the field, so it may take a few shots. Trust me, they'll keep NL'ing you like it's their job. Try walking after they name lock within your own fissure field, cast another, watch the damage. Remember, you have max block, max res and max Damage Reduction options. You can take a few hits. Don't pussy out, let them kill themselves.

***REMEMBER THIS MAIN FACT**** Most morons these days leave "run" on because they think their 80 frw helps. Do not do this. By having the "walk" option on, your block penalty is lowered significantly. True, your druid will have 85frw, however it's important that you practice and get good at the "r-tap" style of moving. This is running after someone has casted to gain distance and make use of their cool-down time. Before you tele off to re-engage, remember to re-tap R to turn your "walk" back on and restore full block.

VII. The FAQ's you haven't asked but I'll answer all the same

Q. What do you do when someone absorbs you?
A. This is bad manner, or "BM" dueling. Feel free to put on your phoenix monarch with your primary set up. FCR/FHR drop below 99/99, but -78FR is hard to contend with. If you're really having trouble with the moving, go get a conviction merc. Infinity gives -85 enemy resistances with it's Level 12 Conviction. Pile that with -78 fr from yourself, that's a hell of a lot of -Enemy FR that people can't cope with

Q. What breakpoints do you use for the regular dueling
A. I use 99FCR/99FHR as my standard. I'll show the full set up in the screenshot below

Q. FC'ers are a big problem in pub duels, how do you handle them?
A. Phoenix + Tgods gets you to 90% LR. Throw on a whisp with your tgodz and wiz, go fissure them and watch them panic

Q. Bowers are one of a druid's biggest headaches. What technique do you use against them?
A. Well, as I outlined, you have MB with all of your shields, so it really comes down to how good with fissure you get. I normally just use my regular and drop them, desynch doesn't matter when you're nl'ing with Arma and fiss. Again, I listed the Ber'd SS as an option so you have max DR as well. It makes zons pretty damn easy when they're running through fields of fissures

Q. You said AA Blizz'ers and 102fcr Trappers are your nightmare. Do you at least have a way to handle them?
A. Unfortunately, yes and no. AA blizzers are "BM" off the bat, so I'll normally just toss on full absorb and watch them cry. Fuck 'em, it's bm anyhow. 102 sins, however, are a chore gm. Lately I've been using the 163 and just out-moving them while having fissure fields pre-set, but I don't have a 100% perfected "full gm" way of dealing with them yet. Maybe this guide will inspire some people and they can add on. Remember, my druid has 700 mana with his full gm 163 set up. That alone can outlast most sins by a fair shot. Under 102 fcr, they're cake walks, just set your fiss, tele back half a frame and watch them walk into death.

VIII. That screenshot you wanted

Alright, well there is how he looks, and I'll let you know what he uses. This set up is what I use against 75%+ of what I duel. It holds Max Block, Max res, 4,6k life, 6k Fissure, 8k Armageddon, -50 Enemy Fire res, 99FCR, 99FHR. The rest of the swap outs, you can figure on your own from what's listed above

-20res Raven Lore
RM Enigma
30/-30 War Axe
35 FCR spirit Monarch
10fcr/20str/15dex/14mana Rare Ring
Soj
2 Druid / 19fcr / 37life / 18mana Ammy
47% Aldurs
Magefists
Arach

20/17 Dtorch
20/18/10 Anni
7x 40+ ele lifers
2x FHR ele lifers
8x 18/5 scs
1x 20/11 light
1x 20/11 cold

Eth 6bo cta
B/o spirit monarch

X. Sup Son

If you have any questions or add-ons, please don't PM me. This was made thread-form for a reason. Any add-ons/remarks can be done here.
Currently, I'm running around East NL as the top fire druid, undisputed. I only pub because that's where you encounter actual challengers. If that includes modders, so be it, that's part of what the game's become. Priv duels, I haven't been on a losing side yet in 4v4's. As a modern character, I won't lie. He's a hell of a chore to learn how to use, but the gratification of using something people don't know how to counter due to rarity is awesome. Beyond that, it's not just a joke character. He's hella useful, hella fun and woth the FG you'll put into it.

Estimated, I spent about 1,750 fg on my character total. Things like the RLore a chore to find in modern times, but you can always ingame iso for better and cheaper results. It's not a bad price, and I am far from bothering to perfect the gear. If you truly went all out, this would be a nearly impossible character for anyone to defeat without the need for modifications. In the day of a dying game, characters like this offer a unique challenge with nearly instant results if you are willing to put the time into it.

On that note, I leave you with 09res's Ultimate Fire Druid build and hope to see I'm not the only idiot running around the realms with one of these puppies

This post was edited by the09resurrect on Oct 11 2012 05:09pm
Gold: 0.00
Oct 11 2012 06:00pm
Looks pretty solid imo. Cheaped out a bit on the strategy section. but this is pretty straight forward for the most part, not a whole lot you can do.
Oct 11 2012 06:01pm
Quote (Mustang69 @ Oct 11 2012 08:00pm)
Looks pretty solid imo. Cheaped out a bit on the strategy section. but this is pretty straight forward for the most part, not a whole lot you can do.

Tried to outline it right. It's really one of those feel things, similar to tri-wws from sins/babas and boxing with a nec. Makes more sense after doing it a bit.
Gold: 109.01
Oct 11 2012 06:11pm
Quote (the09resurrect @ Oct 11 2012 07:01pm)
Tried to outline it right. It's really one of those feel things, similar to tri-wws from sins/babas and boxing with a nec. Makes more sense after doing it a bit.

Fire druids are always fun and nice write up for it. :thumbsup:

Have you tried maxing grizzly for the meatshield and high unsorbable phy damage? I found fire druids fun, but when I added the grizzly it became sweet.(shaman build)
http://forums.d2jsp.org/topic.php?t=44685283&f=87

When your facing opponents that are stacked against your -50 fire res, which is everyone with max res and a pair of hotspurs can counter, Its worth noting that changing your pelt from a Ravenlore which only grants +3 ele, to a more specialized +3-6 skill hat (possibly even free geddon saving your pre req's) Nets higher skill damage when enemy resistances are undroppable.

An easy option to hit your FHR goals and max block while still having frw is using Shadow Dancers

I agree about the feel aspect , Fire attacks suffer some interesting cooldowns and its all about getting the timing down :thumbsup:

This post was edited by Master_Zappy on Oct 11 2012 06:17pm
Oct 11 2012 06:18pm
Quote (Master_Zappy @ Oct 11 2012 08:11pm)
Fire druids are always fun and nice write up for it. :thumbsup:

Have you tried maxing grizzly for the meatshield and high unsorbable phy damage? I found fire druids fun, but when I added the grizzly it became sweet.(shaman build)
http://forums.d2jsp.org/topic.php?t=44685283&f=87

When your facing opponents that are stacked against your -50 fire res, which is everyone with max res and a pair of hotspurs can counter, Its worth noting that changing your pelt from a Ravenlore which only grants +3 ele, to a more specialized +3-6 skill hat (possibly even free geddon saving your pre req's) Nets higher skill damage when enemy resistances are undroppable.

An easy option to hit your FHR goals and max block while still having frw is using Shadow Dancers

That's more of a shaman build, using the grizzly. Different type of character, this is a pure fire.

Actually with -50 res vs hotspurs, the negative drop is more than enough to still hurt it's fair share and then some. Plus you can always chuck the phoenix on to lower them down another 28. If they have "undroppable" res's it means they're bming and using mass stack/sorb, at which point you can always merc them if you have to. -78% res and level 12 convic is pretty damn hard to outstack.

Shadows are a good suggestion, but for me personally I like that extra fr/life/frw. While I don't use run vs zons/pals/babas/ww sins, it's quite nice to have the full 85 vs a lot of casters. It's an option I considered for saving the shael in the helm, but there's no other 10% fhr you can really shave off to make it a clean 99fhr. From all my testing, then ended up being more wasted stat than practical.

Thanks for the solid input! I like when people bounce ideas off.

Quote (Master_Zappy @ Oct 11 2012 08:11pm)

I agree about the feel aspect , Fire attacks suffer some interesting cooldowns and its all about getting  the timing down  :thumbsup:

Truths. Offensive baiting is the style I've tried to perfect when using him. It's hard to get used to it, but generally it's 2 teles per fissure, so make sure you pre-lay where you're moving, then walk down a step or two to drag them across your field.

This post was edited by the09resurrect on Oct 11 2012 06:19pm
Gold: 248.00
Oct 11 2012 06:22pm
Dont like the item choices overall.
Gold: 712.48
Oct 11 2012 06:45pm
:thumbsup:
Gold: 0.00
Oct 11 2012 06:47pm
Quote (ranorn @ Oct 11 2012 07:22pm)
Dont like the item choices overall.

so dont you use.

Anyone can read this guide and get an idea of whats going on.
Gold: 5,496.89
Oct 11 2012 07:19pm
This is a neat guide,

By my calculations, this should get like 9.3k firestorm and 3.9k fissure @ lvl 93?

Is that about right?

With -50% fire res ofc.
Oct 12 2012 01:47pm
Quote (Motion @ Oct 11 2012 09:19pm)
This is a neat guide,

By my calculations, this should get like 9.3k firestorm and 3.9k fissure @ lvl 93?

Is that about right?

With -50% fire res ofc.

Actually fissure should be closer to 6,2-6,5 at level 93. I'm doing (quoting from his thread :P )

Quote (the09resurrect @ Oct 10 2012 09:29pm)
With which set up? My normal is (all with 99/99/mb/-50 enemy fr):

5,6-5,9 fissure
6,8-8k arma
7,6-8,4 firestorm (cano's for nubs)

C/o, thankee sir.

At level 89.

Quote (Mustang69 @ Oct 11 2012 08:47pm)
so dont you use.

Anyone can read this guide and get an idea of whats going on.

Well put :P That's what I was hoping it'd be.

Quote (bLuuzz @ Oct 11 2012 08:45pm)
:thumbsup:

Thx for props.
Go Back To Strategy & Guides Topic List
1236Next
Add Reply New Topic New Poll