d2jsp
d2jsp Forums > Other Games > MMORPG > Guild Wars 1 & 2 > What's A Good Laptop To Play Guild Wars 2 And Tera
Prev123Next
Add Reply New Trade New Service New Price Check New Topic New Poll
Gold: 42.00
May 7 2012 07:06pm
Quote (Darkshade @ May 7 2012 02:45pm)
Don't go Alienware... It's just like Apple or those other brands where you pay half for the machine and half for the "brand name".

First off, this guy's retarded. The only problem with Alienware, is that they're now formerly alienware, owned by Dell. Their laptops are top of the line. If you're going with a prebuilt rig there's no better way to go for a gamer than an alienware. But, that's if you can get one without all the Dell Fluff. Which, saddly, as the years go on, is getting harder and harder to find. If you're looking for a cheap rig, capable of playing GW2 and Tera, Look at tiger direct's website. They have a lot of refurbs, in your price range, with more than adequate specs for GW2 and Tera. From one poor guy to another, there's always a way to get into budget.

Edit:
To the guy complaining about paying for the "brand" Their prices may have been shit in the past, but that's in the past. Just because when you were in school, you couldn't afford an alienware, because you were paying for that pretty little alien emblem. Doesn't mean you should rage on the most legit gaming rig producer in the world. You obviously haven't done the research. Their prices have gone down more than 20% in the last two years. Coincidentally, since they started using some standard Dell parts, and their production value stopped being so high. You weren't paying for the brand, you were paying for the quality of the machines they were building. People like you, are the reason they were bought out, and now produce the same garbage you spoon fed mouth breathers enjoy so much.

Seriously though. Tiger direct. Look in the Acer or Asus refurb lines. Smaller companies, better support.

This post was edited by darkyosh on May 7 2012 07:09pm
Gold: 0.00
May 7 2012 07:24pm
Quote (darkyosh @ May 7 2012 09:06pm)
First off, this guy's retarded. The only problem with Alienware, is that they're now formerly alienware, owned by Dell. Their laptops are top of the line. If you're going with a prebuilt rig there's no better way to go for a gamer than an alienware. But, that's if you can get one without all the Dell Fluff. Which, saddly, as the years go on, is getting harder and harder to find. If you're looking for a cheap rig, capable of playing GW2 and Tera, Look at tiger direct's website. They have a lot of refurbs, in your price range, with more than adequate specs for GW2 and Tera. From one poor guy to another, there's always a way to get into budget.

Edit:
To the guy complaining about paying for the "brand" Their prices may have been shit in the past, but that's in the past. Just because when you were in school, you couldn't afford an alienware, because you were paying for that pretty little alien emblem. Doesn't mean you should rage on the most legit gaming rig producer in the world. You obviously haven't done the research. Their prices have gone down more than 20% in the last two years. Coincidentally, since they started using some standard Dell parts, and their production value stopped being so high. You weren't paying for the brand, you were paying for the quality of the machines they were building. People like you, are the reason they were bought out, and now produce the same garbage you spoon fed mouth breathers enjoy so much.

Seriously though. Tiger direct. Look in the Acer or Asus refurb lines. Smaller companies, better support.

I bought my current ASUS a year ago, for which I did a month of laptop shopping.

MSI and ASUS G-series are >= Alienware, yet they are cheaper. Explain to me?

Please come and tell me it's all about the build quality; herpa-derp idiot, ASUS has one of the best laptop build quality ever.

Fanboys will always hate everyone talking shit about their beloved Alienwares. Please continue paying an overpriced machine when you can easily get the same for 20% off (but oh no! it's not branded "Alienware").

P.S: I could afford the best Alienware of the market at the moment, that's not the problem.
May 7 2012 07:36pm
Asus is a MUCH smaller company than Alienware, of course their product is high quality, and cheaper. They don't have the reputation at stake. Don't go flashing your wallet like it matters. What it comes down to, is that you're not going to go toe to toe with an Alienware, with your asus G-Series, and come away from it with anything beyond hurt pride. I'm not a fanboy of Alienware, incase you couldn't understand what I said, I'll point to it again.

-------> ***People like you, are the reason they were bought out, and now produce the same garbage you spoon fed mouth breathers enjoy so much.*** <-------------

Their later models, since their price cut, have been garbage. Built with garbage, compliments of Dell. That's not to say their computers aren't good, but did you not read the part where I just linked two of the Acer models listed? I didn't go to the 2000 dollar Alienware, that will remain capable of handling the latest and greatest game releases for the forseeable future. I didn't even point out the Asus model that'll be good for the next few months. No, I pointed to the Acer model. Because their english speaking support staff and already outstanding reputation for build stability and hardware durability are things of legend for their remarkably budget savvy products. You wanna call me an idiot? Take a look at the alienware model listed on tiger direct for 2 grand. It's running a quad core processor, reportedly reading 8.8ghz, coming equipped with 8gigs of ram, a 750 gig hdd, true HD display from a mobile graphics unit that they build games around. THEY BUILD GAMES AROUND THAT PART. Not their built that part around the games of the time. No. They use that graphics unit, as a basis for graphic capabilities at maximum for games that'll be released well into two years from now.

You're not buying a brand name, if you invest in an Alienware. You're buying a product, that's going to keep out running the competitors. Those specs on that unit are upgradable. Significantly. Well into a range that a year ago when you bought that ASUS they said wasn't even possible. The current specs aren't impressive. Not in any astronomical way. But, their upgradability, durability, and ability to adapt to ever changing requirements. That's something to get behind. You'll spend 7-1500 dollars on a new laptop in a year. Those people who spent 2000 on that alienware. They'll spend 20-30 on upgrade parts for theirs and be good to go.

Who really made the better investment?
Gold: 494.15
May 7 2012 07:41pm
I'm pretty sure my 1K laptop will last me a few years... My last one was a toshiba (wasnt that bad back then) and lasted 6 good years, until it couldnt run games like starcraft 2. My current MSI laptop will last me at least 4-5 years, thats for sure, without needing any upgrades. >__>. Alienware was overpriced, like Apple is right now.
May 7 2012 07:43pm
Quote (DeTpUrRoC @ May 7 2012 08:41pm)
I'm pretty sure my 1K laptop will last me a few years... My last one was a toshiba (wasnt that bad back then) and lasted 6 good years, until it couldnt run games like starcraft 2. My current MSI laptop will last me at least 4-5 years, thats for sure, without needing any upgrades. >__>. Alienware was overpriced, like Apple is right now.

MSI's have problems with processor heat when running graphic intensive content. Had one, lasted 3 months of crysis, then melted a cooling stand to my desk. I'll pass.

By the way, I run an HP. 8gigs of DDR3, I-7 processor, 1tb hdd, 1gig graphics. You know why? It was cost effective, when said MSI set my desk on fire.

This post was edited by darkyosh on May 7 2012 07:44pm
Gold: 494.15
May 7 2012 07:59pm
Quote (darkyosh @ May 8 2012 01:43am)
MSI's have problems with processor heat when running graphic intensive content. Had one, lasted 3 months of crysis, then melted a cooling stand to my desk. I'll pass.

By the way, I run an HP. 8gigs of DDR3, I-7 processor, 1tb hdd, 1gig graphics. You know why? It was cost effective, when said MSI set my desk on fire.

I dont have any problems wit hmine... It NEVER gets over 70 celcius, it has a pretty good fan... maybe you shouldnt judge their old models, isnt that what you are trying to say for alienware?

Anyways, I'm not going to post again on this matter, so feel free to let this die, hope to OP got what he wanted... but for BUDGET gaming laptops, ASUS and MSI are good choices IMO.

This post was edited by DeTpUrRoC on May 7 2012 08:00pm
Gold: 0.00
May 7 2012 08:03pm
Quote (darkyosh @ May 7 2012 09:36pm)
Asus is a MUCH smaller company than Alienware, of course their product is high quality, and cheaper.  They don't have the reputation at stake. Don't go flashing your wallet like it matters. What it comes down to, is that you're not going to go toe to toe with an Alienware, with your asus G-Series, and come away from it with anything beyond hurt pride. I'm not a fanboy of Alienware, incase you couldn't understand what I said, I'll point to it again.

-------> ***People like you, are the reason they were bought out, and now produce the same garbage you spoon fed mouth breathers enjoy so much.*** <-------------

Their later models, since their price cut, have been garbage. Built with garbage, compliments of Dell. That's not to say their computers aren't good, but did you not read the part where I just linked two of the Acer models listed? I didn't go to the 2000 dollar Alienware, that will remain capable of handling the latest and greatest game releases for the forseeable future. I didn't even point out the Asus model that'll be good for the next few months. No, I pointed to the Acer model. Because their english speaking support staff and already outstanding reputation for build stability and hardware durability are things of legend for their remarkably budget savvy products. You wanna call me an idiot? Take a look at the alienware model listed on tiger direct for 2 grand. It's running a quad core processor, reportedly reading 8.8ghz, coming equipped with 8gigs of ram, a 750 gig hdd, true HD display from a mobile graphics unit that they build games around. THEY BUILD GAMES AROUND THAT PART. Not their built that part around the games of the time. No. They use that graphics unit, as a basis for graphic capabilities at maximum for games that'll be released well into two years from now.

You're not buying a brand name, if you invest in an Alienware. You're buying a product, that's going to keep out running the competitors. Those specs on that unit are upgradable. Significantly. Well into a range that a year ago when you bought that ASUS they said wasn't even possible. The current specs aren't impressive. Not in any astronomical way. But, their upgradability, durability, and ability to adapt to ever changing requirements. That's something to get behind. You'll spend 7-1500 dollars on a new laptop in a year. Those people who spent 2000 on that alienware. They'll spend 20-30 on upgrade parts for theirs and be good to go.

Who really made the better investment?

Only read this paragraph and stopped.

Why?

1. ASUS not having a reputation at stake? It looks like you have no idea what kind of company ASUS is.
2. Alienware's "reputation" you're talking about is EXACTLY why you're paying an overprice machine; just like Apple.
3. I'm not flashing my wallet, just answering your false statement you included in your post before:

Quote (darkyosh @ May 7 2012 09:06pm)
Just because when you were in school, you couldn't afford an alienware, because you were paying for that pretty little alien emblem. Doesn't mean you should rage on the most legit gaming rig producer in the world.

Now if you'll please excuse me, I'm done "arguing" with someone that contradicts himself and throws stupidities on top of said contradiction.
Gold: 150.00
May 7 2012 08:15pm
u guys know OP is banned right?
Gold: 2,685.00
May 7 2012 08:52pm
These_guys_will_argue_over_anything.jpg
Go Back To Guild Wars 1 & 2 Topic List
Prev123Next
Add Reply New Trade New Service New Price Check New Topic New Poll