d2jsp
d2jsp Forums > Off-Topic > General Chat > Political & Religious Debate > Norwegian Mass Killer Trained Shooting Skills On > Video Games
Prev1234
Add Reply New Topic New Poll
Gold: 0.00
Apr 23 2012 01:52am
games do desensitize people but only if the player can relate to the characters and events in game
a d&d rpg wont desensitize and prolly not a game where yuo are a master special forces assassin or something, (unless you imagined yourself as such to begin with)
come a game avatar you can relate to shootting everyone in that suburban neighborhood kind of game and yse it will very much desensitize people.

This post was edited by ZingerSupreme on Apr 23 2012 01:52am
Gold: 0.00
Warn: 10%
Apr 23 2012 02:21am
Quote (Skinned @ Apr 22 2012 12:24pm)
There have been studies and the was no proof that shooting or violent video games make children more violent or desensitized.

Studies are ongoing but there is zero evidence at this point.

That being said I don't let my son or daughter play excessively violent video games.

Halo is okay because it's a kiddie game and kind of silly....MW series is off limits.  I let him play the Call of Duty that was the Big Red One in WW2 but then got MW1 and it was just way over the top.

I try to narrow him down to platforming and puzzle games, but I let him play some shooters that aren't too realistic or scary.

I bought him Naughty Bear thinking it would be cool.....no no.....it was like watching a hardcore slasher movie on LSD, had to go.

Would you say then that you are 24/7 conscientiously aware of every single frame and sound(I'm going to say that media in general could be used here since it's all "Entertainment", rite?) from a game or program?
Yes i'm implying the sub-conscience...

This post was edited by sam2468 on Apr 23 2012 02:21am
Gold: 1,261.00
Apr 23 2012 04:38pm
I don't understand all the commotion. Even if he DID somehow improve his "skills" through video games, so what? Is there some kind of a retarded implication that video games should be banned as a result? What if he joined a baseball league to improve his throwing skills, and then went on a grenade-chucking rampage? Should we ban baseball because it can be used by terrorists to train grenade throwing skills? Perhaps he bought a pillow and practised beating it, or bought some wooden logs to practice splitting heads with an axe. I heard this chainsaw lunatic joined a logging company to brush up on his chainsaw skills. Should we shut down the lumber industry to prevent similar problems in the future?
Go Back To Political & Religious Debate Topic List
Prev1234
Add Reply New Topic New Poll