Gaming and Trading Community
d2jsp Forums > Programmer's Haven > New Programmer
Add Reply New Topic New Poll
Page 1 of 3 123
Stickzz
#1 Apr 7 2012 02:47pm
Group: Members
Gold: 0.00
So I'm looking to get into program, see if it's what I want to do in the future.

Not really interested in website based coding.

Any suggestions, comments, etc. LMK
carteblanche
#2 Apr 7 2012 03:02pm
Gold: 4,201.90
Two things to start with if you're not interested in web dev.

1) SQL. easiest to learn, but it's not very interesting by itself. this is often used along with other languages. this is just data storage/manipulation. given a bunch of data, you'll be able to filter it to see very specific data. you can download either MySQL or postgresql (both free). learn the basic table structure first, then learn simple select/update/insert/delete. move on to aggregate functions/groupby, subselects, joins, and stored procedures. i'd probably stop before learning about performance (indexes, partitions, etc) and move on to #2 just to get variety.

2) python. it's fairly easy to use and has a little bit of everything in it. you can use youtube vids to learn. this allows you to write scripts that will actually do something, so it's a bit more interesting.

This post was edited by carteblanche on Apr 7 2012 03:03pm
Stickzz
#3 Apr 7 2012 03:05pm
Quote (carteblanche @ Apr 7 2012 05:02pm)
Two things to start with if you're not interested in web dev.

1) SQL. easiest to learn, but it's not very interesting by itself. this is often used along with other languages. this is just data storage/manipulation. given a bunch of data, you'll be able to filter it to see very specific data. you can download either MySQL or postgresql (both free). learn the basic table structure first, then learn simple select/update/insert/delete. move on to aggregate functions/groupby, subselects, joins, and stored procedures. i'd probably stop before learning about performance (indexes, partitions, etc) and move on to #2 just to get variety.

2) python. it's fairly easy to use and has a little bit of everything in it. you can use youtube vids to learn. this allows you to write scripts that will actually do something, so it's a bit more interesting.

OK much appreciated.

After python, would you suggest C++ or Java after that?
carteblanche
#4 Apr 7 2012 03:13pm
Quote (Stickzz @ Apr 7 2012 05:05pm)
OK much appreciated.

After python, would you suggest C++ or Java after that?

that depends. if you're going to take classes for a bachelors degree, i suggest looking into whatever language the first two intro classes use.

otherwise, if you have an iphone, go into C++. if you have an android, go into java.

if none of the above is applicable, then ask again after you're comfortable with python.

*dramaticpausewaitingforeagl3s1ght*

This post was edited by carteblanche on Apr 7 2012 03:13pm
Stickzz
#5 Apr 7 2012 03:18pm
Quote (carteblanche @ Apr 7 2012 05:13pm)
that depends. if you're going to take classes for a bachelors degree, i suggest looking into whatever language the first two intro classes use.

otherwise, if you have an iphone, go into C++. if you have an android, go into java.

if none of the above is applicable, then ask again after you're comfortable with python.

*dramaticpausewaitingforeagl3s1ght*

Mind me asking why iphone/C++ and android/java? Do they support apps that allow mobile coding? :P
Stickzz
#6 Apr 7 2012 03:22pm
Also FYI it appears that if I were to go to my community college/progress to 4 yr, C++ would be first. And I own an iPhone, so it seems I got fairly lucky xD
carteblanche
#7 Apr 7 2012 03:33pm
Quote (Stickzz @ Apr 7 2012 05:18pm)
Mind me asking why iphone/C++ and android/java? Do they support apps that allow mobile coding? :P

java is the officially supported language for android apps, and Objective C (superset of C) is the officially supported language for iphone apps. to make coding more interesting (and look at potential careers), i thought it would be useful for you to write apps on your own phone after you get a coding foundation down.

Quote (Stickzz @ Apr 7 2012 05:22pm)
Also FYI it appears that if I were to go to my community college/progress to 4 yr, C++ would be first. And I own an iPhone, so it seems I got fairly lucky xD

so python then C++ it is! :thumbsup:

This post was edited by carteblanche on Apr 7 2012 03:34pm
Stickzz
#8 Apr 7 2012 03:35pm
Quote (carteblanche @ Apr 7 2012 05:33pm)
java is the officially supported language for android apps, and Objective C (superset of C) is the officially supported language for iphone apps. to make coding more interesting (and look at potential careers), i thought it would be useful for you to write apps on your own phone after you get a coding foundation down.

so python then C++ it is!  :thumbsup:

Much appreciated. I had looked at python a while ago, and was like "I am 12, what is this".. lol (FYI IM NOT 12)

Also I'm guessing I shouldn't get like, balls deep into SQL and Python, just enough that it would lead me into C++ easier.. xD

Edit: Programs for python? Or just Notepad++? Or whatever tut tells me.. lol PROBABLY that...

This post was edited by Stickzz on Apr 7 2012 03:37pm
carteblanche
#9 Apr 7 2012 03:47pm
get python 2.7 (not 3.x). i think it comes with IDLE, which should be sufficient for your purposes

if you spend a few hours a day, you should be comfortable with the sql i mentioned within a week or so. start using python procedure-ly until you're comfortable with variables, functions, loops, if-statements. after that, use python until you understand various object-oriented concepts (classes, inheritance, override/overload, etc) and you can design an application around them. this will make the transition to C++ much easier if you already understand OOP concepts

Much appreciated. I had looked at python a while ago, and was like "I am 12, what is this".. lol (FYI IM NOT 12)

Don't worry about it, nobody's gonna make fun of you for being 13 :P

This post was edited by carteblanche on Apr 7 2012 03:48pm
Stickzz
#10 Apr 7 2012 03:49pm
Quote (carteblanche @ Apr 7 2012 05:47pm)
Don't worry about it, nobody's gonna make fun of you for being 13  :P

Lol, I wish I started coding at 13.. :wallbash:

Go Back To Programmer's Haven Topic List
Page 1 of 3 123