d2jsp
d2jsp Forums > Off-Topic > General Chat > Homework Help > Intro Biology 1000: Foundations Of Life Help! > Come On Biology Majors!
Add Reply New Topic New Poll
Senior Moderator
Gold: 7,638.69
Trader: Trusted
Mar 23 2012 09:49pm
I'm needing help with the following questions, if need be i can offer FG as an incentive for your help :)

Biology is NOT my subject, but it is a pre req i must take in order to get into the faculty i'm applying for.

All help is greatly appreciated!

1) An organism has a diploid number of 8. At the end of mitotic prophase how many chromatids will be visible? Explain (2 points)

2) The end products of both mitosis and meiosis is a set of chromosomes. Explain the differences between the two sets. (2 points)

3) Suppose that Mendel had decided to use horses for his experiments. What problems would he have had that he did not have with the garden pea? (4 points)

4) Explain in your own words how mRNA and tRNA are used in protein synthesis. (4 points)

5) The F2 generation of a cross between a parental tall and a parental short pea plant is 297 tall plants and 103 short plants. What do these results say about the genes for stem height in the pea plant? (2 points)

6) Outline three differences between RNA and DNA. (3 points)

7) Using the B and N genes which control coat colour and blindness in Labrador retrievers, show a punnett square to explain the 9:3:3:1 phenotypic results shown in figure 9.5B on page 159 of the text. (3 points)

Annnnnd this set

1) Define the term population in your own words and give an example that is not from the text or Study Guide. (2 points)

2) Human babies that are heavier than average and lighter than average have a higher infant mortality. What type of selection (be specific) is this and why? (3 points)

3) “The fossil record explains macro evolution.” Is this statement true or false? Why? (2 points)

4) “If humans are in the same class as domestic cats we must also be in the same order.” True or False? Explain. (2 points)

5) Explain in your own words how, from an evolutionary standpoint, a desert spring and an island in the ocean are similar. (3 points)

6) Consider the following statement: “Individuals are selected for or against while populations evolve.” Explain this statement using what you know about gene pools and alleles. (3 points)

7) Explain how you could use the amino acid sequence of a protein to trace evolutionary relationships between organisms. (2 points)

Gold: 79,202.56
Mar 23 2012 10:55pm
Quote (d2Martyr @ Mar 23 2012 08:49pm)
I'm needing help with the following questions, if need be i can offer FG as an incentive for your help :)

Biology is NOT my subject, but it is a pre req i must take in order to get into the faculty i'm applying for.

All help is greatly appreciated!

1) An organism has a diploid number of 8. At the end of mitotic prophase how many chromatids will be visible? Explain (2 points)
-diploid number of 8 means 2n=8. At prophase of mitosis, the chomosomes have replicated and condensed, forming 2 sister chromatids per chromosome. So in total there are 16 chromatids

2) The end products of both mitosis and meiosis is a set of chromosomes. Explain the differences between the two sets. (2 points)
-Assuming we are talking about a diploid organism. Mitosis yields products with 2 copies of each unique chromosome, the same as the parental cell that you started with. Meiosis yields 1 copy of each unique chromosome; the product has half the number of chromosomes as the parent.

3) Suppose that Mendel had decided to use horses for his experiments. What problems would he have had that he did not have with the garden pea? (4 points)
-he could not have selfed the subjects to product pure breeding lines
-horses take a long time to reach sexual maturity, and pregnancy takes a long time as well
-it is hard to control with horses mated
-it is way more expensive and takes more effort to mate horses and feed them etc

4) Explain in your own words how mRNA and tRNA are used in protein synthesis. (4 points)
-mRNA is used as the template
-tRNA are matched to the mRNA (template) to make the protein specified by the mRNA

5) The F2 generation of a cross between a parental tall and a parental short pea plant is 297 tall plants and 103 short plants. What do these results say about the genes for stem height in the pea plant? (2 points)
3:1 ratio. 1 homozygote dominate: 2 heterozygote: 1 homozygote recessive in the F2 generation
Tall allele is dominant over the short allele
There is one gene and two alleles involved.
F1 generation was a heterozygote, and both parents were homozygotes (1 for tall, and the other for short)

6) Outline three differences between RNA and DNA. (3 points)
-DNA contains deoxyribonucleic acid, while RNA contains ribonucleic acid
-DNA contains a thymin base, while RNA contains a uracil base
-In eukaryotes, DNA is double stranded while RNA is single stranded

7) Using the B and N genes which control coat colour and blindness in Labrador retrievers, show a punnett square to explain the 9:3:3:1 phenotypic results shown in figure 9.5B on page 159 of the text. (3 points)

BbNn x BbNn

-------BN------ Bn------- bN------- bn
BN| BBNN---BBNn-----BbNN---BbNn
Bn|
bN|--Complete the rest your self
bn|

Anyways, since both genes have alleles with a dominance relation, you get:
9 B_N_
3 B_nn
3 bbN_
1 bbnn
work out the phenotypes yourself, pretty good exercise.

Annnnnd this set

1) Define the term population in your own words and give an example that is not from the text or Study Guide. (2 points)
Number of organisms of the same species within a defined area
(the definition of population can vary in different contexts)

2) Human babies that are heavier than average and lighter than average have a higher infant mortality. What type of selection (be specific) is this and why? (3 points)
stablilizing selection.
It selects for the average trait, and negatively selects for the extreme traits.

3) “The fossil record explains macro evolution.” Is this statement true or false? Why? (2 points)
True. Fossilization is extremely rare, due to the process and requirements for fossilization. Because of this, the fossil record is extremely biases for organisms with traits capable of being fossilizes, such as bones, shells, teeth etc. Organisms that evolved without these traits do not show up in the fossil records

4) “If humans are in the same class as domestic cats we must also be in the same order.” True or False? Explain. (2 points)
False. Class is a higher taxonomic group than order.

5) Explain in your own words how, from an evolutionary standpoint, a desert spring and an island in the ocean are similar. (3 points)
-desert spring is surrounded by desert, and organisms cannot migrate to and from.
-Island is surrounded by water. Organisms that live on the island cannot migrate to and from.

6) Consider the following statement: “Individuals are selected for or against while populations evolve.” Explain this statement using what you know about gene pools and alleles. (3 points)
Evolution involves the change of allele frequencies and the gene pool. Individuals are selected for or against based on their inherited genes. Those that are selected for pass on their genes, while those that are selected against do not pass on their genes. As a result, the gene pool change and the population as a whole evolves

7) Explain how you could use the amino acid sequence of a protein to trace evolutionary relationships between organisms. (2 points)
The closer the sequences match the close the two organisms are related. The more different they are, the more evolutionary apart they are. This is based on the fact that inheriting a sequence is far more likely than spontaneously obtaining a protein sequence.

GIB FORUM CHEESE.

This post was edited by Exx on Mar 23 2012 10:55pm
Gold: 73.69
Mar 25 2012 05:38am
Quote (Exx @ Mar 24 2012 12:55am)
GIB FORUM CHEESE.

This indeed, Pming for my own questions
Gold: 6,704.12
Trader: Trusted
Mar 25 2012 07:13am
I can help you free.

Just lmk